Sennheiser HD820
Jul 24, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #3,166 of 4,370
It could be fit I guess, but I don't know, I had some initial problems with fit when I first acquired mine, but since then I've tried a few times to position my hd820 to a way that was really detrimental to the sound quality, and while I did find a few positions that would start off sounding poor, once the ear pads start to heat up they mold better and acquire a fairly tight seal on their own. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not on sennheisers part, but its fairly effective. Of course I live in florida, so, maybe colder places the seal would be take longer or not happen.

Listening to an older recording of Otello by Giuseppe Verdi, phenomenal, absolutely wonderful, I really am thinking of selling most of my other headphones now, not that any of them are terrible, far from it, just find myself using them less and less. Have yet to find a genre that the hd820's perform poorly with, at least with what I listen to, though I do listen to most everything.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #3,168 of 4,370
The fit thing might be possible with people with smaller oval heads maybe. The band looks like it would fit round heads best

I have a large round head, basically need to use every Sennheiser larger headphone at max sizing. For some reason hd25 fits a couple clicks down from max

Hd820 even with headband at max size isnt loose on my head and sits steady in one spot, and sounds best of hd8xx series to me.

I think our heads are about the same size. The HD820 at maximum headband length is just the right size for me. I also had a HD25 and also had it a couple of clicks down from the max, right where the ends of the adjustment posts are even with the bottom of the cups. My head circumference is about 23.75".

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #3,169 of 4,370
I think our heads are about the same size. The HD820 at maximum headband length is just the right size for me. I also had a HD25 and also had it a couple of clicks down from the max, right where the ends of the adjustment posts are even with the bottom of the cups. My head circumference is about 23.75".
Would be pretty funny if it was discovered the hd820 was the ultimate big noggin headphone lol

I can see why someone with a small ovalish head might have an issue with the lack of strong clamping force... But the lack of strong clamping force is also one of the reasons personally why I like it the best of any headphone I've heard.. the hd600 was terrible in this regard with very uncomfortable clamping, and overall for my head the hd700 is the best fit of all, with hd8xx series all being a distant 2nd in fit - I didn't notice any particular fit difference between the hd800 and hd820 - both fit well bit not like a glove as the hd700 does.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #3,170 of 4,370
Would be pretty funny if it was discovered the hd820 was the ultimate big noggin headphone lol

I can see why someone with a small ovalish head might have an issue with the lack of strong clamping force... But the lack of strong clamping force is also one of the reasons personally why I like it the best of any headphone I've heard.. the hd600 was terrible in this regard with very uncomfortable clamping, and overall for my head the hd700 is the best fit of all, with hd8xx series all being a distant 2nd in fit - I didn't notice any particular fit difference between the hd800 and hd820 - both fit well bit not like a glove as the hd700 does.

The headbands are identical between the HD800/HD800S and the HD820 with the exception of the spring mechanism. It's now an integrated leaf spring on the HD820 instead of a separate cylindrical spring. So fit should be identical between the bands.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #3,171 of 4,370
The headbands are identical between the HD800/HD800S and the HD820 with the exception of the spring mechanism. It's now an integrated leaf spring on the HD820 instead of a separate cylindrical spring. So fit should be identical between the bands.
Yeah but the difference is a so-so fitting open headphone likely will have less issues than a so-so fitting closed headphone since the open headphone is open anyway.

So possible some people had poor fit on hd800/s all along (not surprising given sheer size of earcups) and it hasn't become apparent until hd820

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #3,172 of 4,370
Apologies, was out of town for a bit there, so far I really like it, I've had it before I think, or one with a very similar build that I put together years ago and then had to sell, can't compare the sound after so long, but seems to have a good pairing with the hd 820 (the previous amp I had paired with an early hd800). Currently listening to Beethovens 9th Symphony, the 1962 Karajan performance, and just as stirring as the first time, its one of those special recordings that I could never grow tired of. I have a pair of russian tubes in there now (had a good collection of 6sn7 type tubes and 6as7 type tubes left over) and very smooth. I am the type that, while I can hear differences between different tubes, I do not find them as sweeping as many do and I tend to enjoy most of them. I will have to build or buy an adapter to use 12AU7 type tubes again, but I do not own many of them, so would not be able to compare those until I have done so.

I have heard the T1, and while I do not have a pair with me to compare, I remember it being stellar for orchestral, probably be a really good pairing. I've yet to listen to other genre's of music with the hd 820/bhc pairing, orchestral/chamber is always my starting point for new pieces of equipment, and always a great comfort for me. I'm sure I will eventually...
Thanks for the review, appreciate it.
I feel orchestra is exactly what's lacking for 4XX headphone.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #3,173 of 4,370
Found the musical Fidelity MX HPA / MX DAC on blowout clearance. This was the magic combo for the hd800 in my experience so would like to see what it can do on hd820

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #3,174 of 4,370
Hearing around 15KHz should be a reasonable range for most adults. The extension above, although cannot be heard, creates a feeling that hard to describe. I remember SONY explains that when they were making the IRE-z1r - an iem reaches 100kHz.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #3,175 of 4,370
Just got the MX-HPA and its a significant improvement in clarity from the EVGA NU AUDIO; bass and soundstage improved as well - bass seems a little less in quantity but much more controlled with deeper extension. Unfortunately the MX DAC I received was a defective return Amazon shipped me as "New", and I should get a replacement for that on Monday.

While the EVGA HPA/DAC sounds incredible for its price (the MSRP on the MX-HPA is 4x higher just for an amp), one issue I ran into is that over time there is a coloration that becomes noticeable; like a bit of syrup poured over every song, and it seems the amp stage is where its coming from. Don't have that issue with the MX-HPA.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #3,176 of 4,370
I bought a soldering station from Amazon as "new" and the box was opened, the packaging was in shreds, the tips were oxidized, and the "void" seal on the bottom of the unit was broken.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #3,177 of 4,370
I bought a soldering station from Amazon as "new" and the box was opened, the packaging was in shreds, the tips were oxidized, and the "void" seal on the bottom of the unit was broken.

Yeah it's their poor system where they comingle every sellers products together. This was obviously a defective return as it was missing parts, the buttons on the unit were stuck and it hard locked and wouldn't turn off. The box was also smashed. Not too pleased with them about that. The MX HPA was in great shape tho

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #3,178 of 4,370
Yeah it's their poor system where they comingle every sellers products together. This was obviously a defective return as it was missing parts, the buttons on the unit were stuck and it hard locked and wouldn't turn off. The box was also smashed. Not too pleased with them about that. The MX HPA was in great shape tho

Oh and now their replacement is actually not in stock and they wasted another half a week of my time. JFC amazon!

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #3,179 of 4,370
I desperately need help.

My close backs are Audeze mobius and my open backs are HD6xx.

I end up always using my 6xx and tweaking the highs 2-3db higher. (3.5khz to 20khz)

I am deciding between the HD800s and HD820.
Money is no object, can’t test them in person unfortunately.

I mean at this point I might just get both lmao.

Head-fiers assist a brother!

edit: was waiting in line at the bank, got my EQ settings for 6xx

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #3,180 of 4,370
I desperately need help.

My close backs are Audeze mobius and my open backs are HD6xx.

I end up always using my 6xx and tweaking the highs 2-3db higher.

I am deciding between the HD800s and HD820.
Money is no object, can’t test them in person unfortunately.

I mean at this point I might just get both lmao.

Head-fiers assist a brother!
I have both and they different enough to justify getting both....if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back