Sennheiser HD820
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #3,181 of 4,370
I have both and they different enough to justify getting both....if you can.

I been told hat the 820 sounds a bit congested and not as clear cause of the elevated mid range.
I don't completely dislike my IE80s but I dislike how "damp" they sound. EQ can't really fix this from what I can see.
My 6xx isn't damp for vocals but I had to EQ them a bit higher to get that clarity.

Can you advise what you like/dislikes comparing the two?

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #3,182 of 4,370
I desperately need help.

My close backs are Audeze mobius and my open backs are HD6xx.

I end up always using my 6xx and tweaking the highs 2-3db higher. (3.5khz to 20khz)

I am deciding between the HD800s and HD820.
Money is no object, can’t test them in person unfortunately.

I mean at this point I might just get both lmao.

Head-fiers assist a brother!

edit: was waiting in line at the bank, got my EQ settings for 6xx

Take your pick:

Hd820 = less soundstage (but still huge), significantly more bass, slightly less consistent mids, slightly less icy treble, more.isolation

Hd800S = more soundstage (2nd only to hd800), significantly less bass, slightly more consistent mids, slightly more icy treble, less isolation

Depends what music you listen to, I prefer hd820. Either one massive improvement on hd600

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #3,183 of 4,370
I been told hat the 820 sounds a bit congested and not as clear cause of the elevated mid range.
I don't completely dislike my IE80s but I dislike how "damp" they sound. EQ can't really fix this from what I can see.
My 6xx isn't damp for vocals but I had to EQ them a bit higher to get that clarity.

Can you advise what you like/dislikes comparing the two?

Most people commenting on hd820 never actually heard one or heard one in suboptimal conditions and are just commenting based on what they think they should hear from the frequency range response. Does not sound congested at all IMO from first hand experience. I owned the hd800 and the hd820, I only own the hd820 now tho

The largest difference between in the two is that the hd820 has significantly more bass and is more isolated than the hd800s, while the hd800s has a significantly wider soundstage than the hd820. The rest is mostly minutia.

I would really look at how important bass response is to the music you listen to is, and if it's very important the hd820 is the obvious choice. If its not that important at all you might be better off with hd800s.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #3,184 of 4,370
I desperately need help.

My close backs are Audeze mobius and my open backs are HD6xx.

I end up always using my 6xx and tweaking the highs 2-3db higher. (3.5khz to 20khz)

I am deciding between the HD800s and HD820.
Money is no object, can’t test them in person unfortunately.

I mean at this point I might just get both lmao.

Head-fiers assist a brother!

edit: was waiting in line at the bank, got my EQ settings for 6xx
You can get the original HD 800 with SDR mod and a used 820 for the price of the 820 new when not on sale. I greatly prefer the 820 myself and own both.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #3,185 of 4,370
I don't get the criticism on the mids of the 820. I don't hear disjointedness or congestion. Just don't get it.

And I also have the Shure KSE, which is one of the top for clarity and neutrality. Sure the 820 isn't quite as resolving, but don't hear anything weird from the tuning.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #3,186 of 4,370
I don't get the criticism on the mids of the 820. I don't hear disjointedness or congestion. Just don't get it.

That's because perceptually it doesn't exist to any appreciable amount.

People are looking at a frequency response curve and psychologically convincing themselves of hearing something based upon what they think they are supposed to hear. Or simply are just commenting based on the FR.

People have a misconception that flat is right and that's not the case. Ironically the "flat" headphones fail miserably at being flat when approaching the low frequencies, which are just as important as the highs and mids IMO

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #3,187 of 4,370
Most people commenting on hd820 never actually heard one or heard one in suboptimal conditions and are just commenting based on what they think they should hear from the frequency range response. Does not sound congested at all IMO from first hand experience. I owned the hd800 and the hd820, I only own the hd820 now tho

The largest difference between in the two is that the hd820 has significantly more bass and is more isolated than the hd800s, while the hd800s has a significantly wider soundstage than the hd820. The rest is mostly minutia.

I would really look at how important bass response is to the music you listen to is, and if it's very important the hd820 is the obvious choice. If its not that important at all you might be better off with hd800s.

I enjoy the slam and response of my HD6XX, I don't see myself boosting it unless I want to feel dirty with some songs. Synthwave/Retrowave on my HD6XX sounds fine, just need to heighten the 3.5khz+ and beyond a bit.

I rarely use my Mobius as my earcups get pretty hot and potentially sweaty on LONG days when I am at my desk for like 17+ hours cause of work and the sound... I can't put my finger on it, it just sounds fuzzy.
I usually put that on "FLAT" mode but I don't believe it is flat.
I have tried EQing some 300hz - 2khz down and male vocals sound more, clear? I dropped these EQ down 3-4dbs and it seems to isolate the vocals more which results in having a clearer sound?
This is consistent in my IEM, both headphones. Does this mean I enjoy a V shaped sound or is it just the gear?
Whenever I use my IE80s, I have to really hit the mid down several db to have the "clarity" I want.

I normally do a LOT of research and trial and error with myself; however, I was made an offer where I can have the HD820s for the same price as a HD800s in CAD because my 800s have been on order for like over 2 months, still no ETA yet.

I personally think that the most important key notes for my sound preference would be:
  1. Clarity
  2. VISCERAL impact on kick drums, I prefer the Kick to destroy me rather than the deep "wub wubs" if that makes sense, forgive my ignorance on identifying the sound.
  3. Vocals
  4. Piano melody or Glockenspiel need to be very present. (Ex. Infected Mushroom's Franks near the end of the song, 7mins in? iirc, or Nier's City Ruins - Rays of Light's piano melody amongst the vocals)
  5. I would like a much larger soundstage compared to my HD6XX, I usually find myself using my speakers to fulfill that need.
I was under the impression the HD800s was going to be my best fit and if I needed bass, I'd just EQ them a bit.
At this point would I need both to satisfy my needs depending on each song?
I really appreciate everyone's response and assistance in my extremely rushed decision I have to make.

I have both and they different enough to justify getting both....if you can.

I mean at this point I might have to lol

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #3,188 of 4,370

HD820 no contest based on the music / songs you mentioned. Anything electronic the HD820 will dominate the HD800S. The hd820 takes the edge off the sharpness of the treble that can be a problem with some synths and has more believable bass. HD800S excels in music like jazz and classical.

In my experience re soundstage it's like this:

Less > hd600 > hd700 > hd820 > hd800s > hd800 > More

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #3,189 of 4,370
HD820 no contest based on the music / songs you mentioned. Anything electronic the HD820 will dominate the HD800S. The hd820 takes the edge off the sharpness of the treble that can be a problem with some synths and has more believable bass. HD800S excels in music like jazz and classical.

In my experience re soundstage it's like this:

Less > hd600 > hd700 > hd820 > hd800s > hd800 > More

I had a feeling I was on the right track, I might just have to get both at this point then as I listen to both genres alternatively.
I appreciate your wisdom, thank you so much good sir.
I love this community <3

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #3,190 of 4,370
I had a feeling I was on the right track, I might just have to get both at this point then as I listen to both genres alternatively.
I love this community <3
FYI I would say for jazz/classical the original HD800 unmodified is noticably better than the HD800S if it's treble doesn't bother you (big if)

For electronic, rock, etc all hd820 imo

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #3,191 of 4,370
I love this community <3
Will also add to budget for a proper amp/DAC as hd8xx are notoriously picky

My favorite combo I've found for the HD8xx is the Musical Fidelity MX-HPA/MX-DAC though there are some surprisingly cheap options that work for PC also.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #3,192 of 4,370
FYI I would say for jazz/classical the original HD800 unmodified is noticably better than the HD800S if it's treble doesn't bother you (big if)

I’m not sure if the treble bothers me. My gf who listens to most songs I am okay with like this song’s glockenspiel is too much and refuses to listen to it solely because it is too much even if I disable EQ.

Thing is, I love how clear and crisp that can get and I usually end up bumping these freq up in my EQ on foobar.

You think I’ll be fine?

I can always EQ what I need right? I just lose some soundstage but either way, it’ll be better than my 6XX.

Will also add to budget for a proper amp/DAC as hd8xx are notoriously picky

My favorite combo I've found for the HD8xx is the Musical Fidelity MX-HPA/MX-DAC though there are some surprisingly cheap options that work for PC also.

You think my current setup will be good?
Smsl m200/sp200 with a little dot mark 2 with cv4010 tubes?

I was told this would be a great amp dac combo to power anything I need and if I wanted to get something nutty, it’d be like WA22 level tubes price range.

Edit:
Also the reason why I’m so hesitant on the 820 is cause people say it is very V shaped which I don’t enjoy the V shape of my IE80S IEM. I don’t use em unless I want to sleep or cook for casual listening

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #3,193 of 4,370

I think it would be powerful enough but if you want to maximize clarity and soundstage you might want to look into the combo I recommended which go for around $1450 on eBay together brand new, less used - they are SS btw. Will also need to pickup a cable or adapter with dual 3pin XLR on the end to use this amp optimally in balanced mode

HD800 you can probably handle but again without top notch electronics you might have a bad time on the treble . For those that can handle it though I think it's more impressive than hd800s on jazz / classical

Hd820 does not sound V shaped in the slightest. And if you are going to buy only one headphone for all types of music the hd820 is the better buy since its weaknesses are less pronounced than the hd800s' in their non-optimal music genres

IMO you'd be better off w/ the MF MX-HPA/MX-DAC + HD820 then using what you have now for electronics and getting both the HD820&HD800, i think youd have a better overall experience with the former than the latter.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #3,194 of 4,370

Thanks for your comments about the 820s, it has been interesting and helpful reading them.

I use the RME DAC with my 800s (not 800S) and for some material i.e. Joni Mitchell I use the parametric EQ to pull the 6-10 KHz region down slightly to take off the bright edge. It's a thousand euro Sennheiser mod but I can also use it as a DAC :D

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #3,195 of 4,370
Hd820 does not sound V shaped in the slightest. And if you are going to buy only one headphone for all types of music the hd820 is the better buy since its weaknesses are less pronounced than the hd800s' in their non-optimal music genres

Not related but related, I read a lot of posts saying the DT1770s are V shaped. They're not. There are a lot of memes and they affect our hobby also. Once somebody writes that this or that amp is warm or this or that pair of headphones is V shaped people who have never heard the equipment start repeating what they read as if it were fact. I even had one or two guys bash me violently when I made a comment about a piece of equipment I have which was contrary to their beliefs which came from reading a few posts. I asked if they had the device and they said no, it doesn't matter, everybody says you're wrong. I said ok for you, I actually have the gear and use it but if you never listened to it it's bogus to claim you can characterize the sound as if you have some kind of authoritative position.

Everybody hears differently and the whole chain of your gear and ears and brain has an influence. In the end it's very personal but there are still some objective standards.You probably have to hear a lot of gear to have a frame of reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back