Sennheiser HD820
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #3,136 of 4,357
Been awhile, finally moving about and getting some work done. My son had gotten me a bottlehead crack (preassembled) as a get well present, it had been damaged in shipping and he had a good portion of it in pieces trying to repair it. Had some fun, been awhile since I did any soldering other than reterminating cables. Fixed the broken rail with the rectifier circuit, and found a malfunctioning potentiometer, could have greased, but instead I swapped in a cheap stepped attenuator I had, although i had to modify it first, and while I was in there I swapped the novel base to an octal, wired for 6sn7 and equivalent. Took a few days, didn't want to breathe in too much soldering fumes, but got it running this morning and have to say, it goes well with the hd820, not that I have found anything that the hd820 does not do well on, but, seems to be great for some of my older classical recordings. Been enjoying them all afternoon, cellos and timpani in particular are very dynamic, and organ music is as well. Feels good to be moving again, and I got a backlog of music to listen to... life is good
How do you like the bottlehead crack? I'm thinking to pair it with Beyerdynamic T1 once I get it.
I am currently running DX7 Pro + Hifiman 4xx.
Later planning to add T1 + Crack + speedball to call it a day.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #3,137 of 4,357
Don't think so the version on streaming platforms is different. Seems they axed a lot of the cool sound effects on the apple music etc versions

But youtube has the full CD version, not as good quality as CD likely tho

Just going to say: I listened to a few 30 second previews and bought this album; the CD Just arrived yesterday, and I tried to import the tracks using an old computer... but the computer was so old it was unusable (4 minutes to boot a CD Ripping app, said app would crash after about a minute of trying to rip the disc), so I’m going to try tomorrow and hook up a PC that hasn’t been used for a year (and the CD drive’s SATA cable disconnected for four).

Its “funny” to realize it’s getting harder to have a working CD drive connected to computers. Sure, I could buy a new one, but it struck me that my Macs don’t have an optical drive, of course my phone & tablet don’t, and even my PS4 doesn’t play music CDs, so if I want to listen to CD’s I have to play them in my car or hook up a custom PC (from 2013). Not really a “problem,” just an inconvenience as CD’s slowly become a vintage medium.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #3,138 of 4,357
Well trying it with them at the Sennheiser store was enough to get me to buy the 820 but only drool over the HDV 820. This was early on my journey, but it was impressive with the S also. I have been tempted since they put it on sale, but I think it's still overpriced.
Still, it does suit the HD 800 and HD 820 so well, it’s a great combo. Feel free to disagree, but I’ve read reviews stating the HDV 820’s amp section alone is comparable or even favorable to dedicated amps in the HDV 820’s price range. Plus it has a DAC and so many input/output options.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #3,139 of 4,357
Still, it does suit the HD 800 and HD 820 so well, it’s a great combo. Feel free to disagree, but I’ve read reviews stating the HDV 820’s amp section alone is comparable or even favorable to dedicated amps in the HDV 820’s price range. Plus it has a DAC and so many input/output options.

I listened to the HDVD800 and felt it did a great job taming the HD800 but also thought it was a bit dark on the HD800S

I am a little concerned with the same issue based on what I've read on the HDV 820 sound signature + HD820 (dark and maybe a bit muddy even), but I have no access to test drive this pair. Do you have both?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #3,140 of 4,357
Just going to say: I listened to a few 30 second previews and bought this album; the CD Just arrived yesterday, and I tried to import the tracks using an old computer... but the computer was so old it was unusable (4 minutes to boot a CD Ripping app, said app would crash after about a minute of trying to rip the disc), so I’m going to try tomorrow and hook up a PC that hasn’t been used for a year (and the CD drive’s SATA cable disconnected for four).

Its “funny” to realize it’s getting harder to have a working CD drive connected to computers. Sure, I could buy a new one, but it struck me that my Macs don’t have an optical drive, of course my phone & tablet don’t, and even my PS4 doesn’t play music CDs, so if I want to listen to CD’s I have to play them in my car or hook up a custom PC (from 2013). Not really a “problem,” just an inconvenience as CD’s slowly become a vintage medium.

If you have a PC Jriver > FLAC rips with any SATA blu ray drive is a great choice for new CDs. Made sure when. I built my new PC to pick a case with a 5.25 bay.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #3,141 of 4,357

This is exactly why I have a few Oppo UDPs laying around the house in their boxes basement. I have thousands and thousands of CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As and I wanted a few backup players before they stopped making them in case of breakage down the road.

Yeah, some of the stuff I listen to is available to stream for free. But, most of my MFSL and SACD/DVD-A stuff is mastered different from the mass media versions.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #3,142 of 4,357
This is exactly why I have a few Oppo UDPs laying around the house in their boxes basement. I have thousands and thousands of CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As and I wanted a few backup players before they stopped making them in case of breakage down the road.

Yeah, some of the stuff I listen to is available to stream for free. But, most of my MFSL and SACD/DVD-A stuff is mastered different from the mass media versions.

I never bought into DVDA/SACD for the fear that someday there would be no compatible optical players for the format and that ripping would be a hassle due to DRM, and that has largely come true.

What I have bought into is up to 24bit/192khz PCM FLAC downloads as it does not depend on any optical format nor speciality DAC decoding and i think is pretty much "future proof." It also provides higher fidelity than the human ear can hear, so fidelity is of no concern.

I know there is MQA now also but I see that as another fad not unlike DSD

Regarding speciality mastering, in some cases I've found its notably better, in other cases worse or the same. I know the loudness war is a big concern for a lot of people but the "DR" ratings software programs spit out is often misleading as there are ways to increase loudness without perceptually impacting dynamic range - so a lot of people look at the DR score and use a sole purchasing decision which is a mistake IMO. I've seen some very fine remasters tarred and feathered because of a DR score when they in reality sound great on high end gear.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3,143 of 4,357
I never bought into DVDA/SACD for the fear that someday there would be no compatible optical players for the format and that ripping would be a hassle due to DRM, and that has largely come true.

What I have bought into is up to 24bit/192khz PCM FLAC downloads as it does not depend on any optical format nor speciality DAC decoding and i think is pretty much "future proof." It also provides higher fidelity than the human ear can hear, so fidelity is of no concern.

I know there is MQA now also but I see that as another fad not unlike DSD

The reason to collect SACD and DVD-A are for the alternate master of albums you enjoy. Much like vinyl as well, where often the vinyl version was mastered differently than the digital versions due to the limitations of the medium (which allows one to have a decent version of many albums that were ruined during the “loudness” compression wars). Not all SACDs were mastered differently than the original versions but many of them were.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #3,144 of 4,357
The reason to collect SACD and DVD-A are for the alternate master of albums you enjoy. Much like vinyl as well, where often the vinyl version was mastered differently than the digital versions due to the limitations of the medium (which allows one to have a decent version of many albums that were ruined during the “loudness” compression wars). Not all SACDs were mastered differently than the original versions but many of them were.

I edited my response above a bit re loudness

I think alternate is best description, as not always better. For instance I've noticed MFSL sometimes employs DNR in their masters that impacts the highs in a way more noticable than mild-moderate DR compression

Being able to play the music is #1 for me over master of music being played, and I don't want to be locked down to a limited subset of players due to an unpopular hardware/software format.

Vinyl does use less compressed masters but also suffers from its own issues like inaccurate lows, and highs that progressively roll off with each play, not to mention surface noise that plagues some pressings. Meaning with vinyl you get great mids but questionable quality at ends of frequency response spectrum.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #3,145 of 4,357
I edited my response above a bit re loudness

I think alternate is best description, as not always better. For instance I've noticed MFSL sometimes employs DNR in their masters that impacts the highs in a way more noticable than mild-moderate DR compression

Being able to play the music is #1 for me over master of music being played, and I don't want to be locked down to a limited subset of players due to an unpopular hardware/software format.

Vinyl does use less compressed masters but also suffers from its own issues like inaccurate lows, and highs that progressively roll off with each play, not to mention surface noise that plagues some pressings.

I enjoy having different feels based on the same theme. It was also fun putting together a giant collection of MFSL vinyl and CDs over the years. It’s helpful to think of each experience and nuance as different and not better or worse. Each variation on the master is a different take on the same motif.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,146 of 4,357
I enjoy having different feels based on the same theme. It was also fun putting together a giant collection of MFSL vinyl and CDs over the years. It’s helpful to think of each experience and nuance as different and not better or worse. Each variation on the master is a different take on the same motif.

The thing that's the most interesting thing about vinyl IMO is how dramatically you can impact the sound quality from a simple cartridge swap. Sort of like a hardware EQ.

In that regard, my favorites back when I was into vinyl were the Ortofon Cadenza Red, Goldring Elite, and Sumiko Pearl. Never was able to find a "tweener"-priced cartridge that I really liked... Though the Goldring Eroica LX came the closest to achieving that.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #3,147 of 4,357
The thing that's the most interesting thing about vinyl IMO is how dramatically you can impact the sound quality from a simple cartridge swap. Sort of like a hardware EQ.

In that regard, my favorites back when I was into vinyl were the Ortofon Cadenza Red, Goldring Elite, and Sumiko Pearl. Never was able to find a "tweener"-priced cartridge that I really liked.

I generally try to go as neutral as possible with equipment. Basically so mastering differences can shine through as much as possible.

I’ve only played any recent vinyl purchase (those purchased over the last 15 years) once each. I have a decent collection of
Japanese remasters of classic rock, jazz, and classical material on vinyl from when there was a huge surge around 10-15 years ago. I have a really good CD and SACD burner that allows you to take vinyl and burn it to CD/SACD. My plan was to transfer all the vinyl masters to CD/SACD so the vinyl is preserved and I have the masters on another format and don’t have to worry about destroying the vinyl over time.

My collection isn’t exhaustive (though I do have most of the vintage MFSL stuff and DCC stuff).

I’m presently running a SME 20/2 with the iV tonearm and Lyra Titan cartridge. I have a PhD Sutherland from awhile back as well, but I’ve just been running everything through my prepro lately instead. 0D09C27A-E712-42AA-8ECB-E973AA24931D.jpegF60632AB-05DB-4044-A139-E3B359DE910E.jpeg

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,148 of 4,357
I generally try to go as neutral as possible with equipment. Basically so mastering differences can shine through as much as possible.

I’ve only played any recent vinyl purchase (those purchased over the last 15 years) once each. I have a decent collection of
Japanese remasters of classic rock, jazz, and classical material on vinyl from when there was a huge surge around 10-15 years ago. I have a really good CD and SACD burner that allows you to take vinyl and burn it to CD/SACD. My plan was to transfer all the vinyl masters to CD/SACD so the vinyl is preserved and I have the masters on another format and don’t have to worry about destroying the vinyl over time.

My collection isn’t exhaustive (though I do have most of the vintage MFSL stuff and DCC stuff).

I’m presently running a SME 20/2 with the iV tonearm and Lyra Titan cartridge. I have a PhD Sutherland from awhile back as well, but I’ve just been running everything through my prepro lately instead.

I was never really able to explore the cartridges at that price point as it boiled down to the music access (play everywhere) issue I mentioned earlier for me, which also prevented my investing in DVDA/SACD. I needed at least 3 turntables for listening in various areas, and I was never satisfied with the base/isolation or tonearm of cheaper (<$1800) turntables, so every vinyl individual hardware purchase essentially cost 3x as much to make across the the TTs - with turntable, cart, and preamp upgrades, etc. I found the Ortofon Cadenza Red (which I found neutral yet with nice soundstage) seemed to be the area where diminishing returns kicked in, anyways, though arguably for most people even that would be a reach to justify. Still if I had a single dedicated spot it might have been interesting to explore more esoteric options. It seemed the $200-$400 MM cartridges had the same weaknesses of the $100-$150 MM ones, and it seemed the entry level MC lines (like ortofon quintet and older version of that, sumiko blue point no2, sumiko blue point evo iii, etc - all had some major sonic tradeoff that made them unappealing). It wasn't til around the ~$800 price point I found MC carts becoming more engaging and at around $1000-$1250 there were a lot of compelling all-star performing MC carts. After that, it just got too expensive for 3 turntables and to be honest the differences over $800 seemed much lower than they were under $800.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #3,150 of 4,357
I listened to the HDVD800 and felt it did a great job taming the HD800 but also thought it was a bit dark on the HD800S

I am a little concerned with the same issue based on what I've read on the HDV 820 sound signature + HD820 (dark and maybe a bit muddy even), but I have no access to test drive this pair. Do you have both?
I’m sorry, I don’t have both with me, but the HDV 820’s internal components and circuit design were improved and reworked fairly significantly... even though the chassis is a bit smaller.

Sennheiser voiced the HDV 820 with the HD 800S, and they use it to exhibit the HD 820 in all of the trade shows they attend. I would really like to share impressions of the 820 combo with you... maybe someday!

A bit about me: my ear canals are a bit narrower than the average, so I’m actually a bit extra sensitive to certain high treble frequencies that resonate within my canal. With that said, I do enjoy my personal HD 800 that I’ve had for... four, five years now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back