Sennheiser HD820
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3,106 of 4,370
I have run into a strange issue.

Listened to a ton of music, and two tracks both exhibited a problem that make me question if there is an issue with my specific headphone. Then again it may just be an odd resonance or something.

The introduction of both WHITE ZOMBIE's THUNDER KISS 65 and OZZY OZBOURNE'S CRAZY TRAIN (which both have distorted guitars) result in a couple of brief and SUBTLE high pitch but low volume buzzing/rattling instances in the right earcup . It is something you really have to listen for to notice . Has anyone experienced this? Could possibly be recording as well (or my hearing, I can hear higher frequency with my right ear than left) its hard to tell with the wide soundstage of this headphone but with these two songs I am hearing it. I've listened probably to over 100 songs of varying genres and haven't heard it anywhere else, even at high SPL.

I don't believe its a power issue as both of these passages just have electric guitar and I've played tons of much more power-demanding material with no issue.

I was going to listen to those songs, but can't seem to get the wifi to connect to my fiio, i know I have at least one of those in my cd collection, so I will test it out once I get going.

I have not noticed any rattling with mine, but I have found an odd distortion that seemed to be linked to extremely panned bass. Heard it on a few recordings, all of them older, wondering if this may be related.

Glad you like the headphones though, I also prefer them over the original hd800, although, it was a close call. I listen to a lot of orchestral music, and some of those old recordings just don't like bass. But, the majority of my collection does sound superior on the hd820, and i prefer the soundstage on the hd820 as well, or maybe I should say that the placement of the instruments sounds more natural to me on the hd820.

In regards to acoustic guitars, on most recordings you wouldn't notice much but a slight thinning on certain sections, but certain low notes can be affected by that dip, to the point where both sound subdued and instrument placement is effected. Its not subtle when it happens. It is not as bad as I first thought it was though, been operating without an equalizer for a few weeks now and most recordings are not affected. A plus 5 db boost on an eq at about 270-300hz pretty much eliminates it, sounds more natural.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #3,107 of 4,370
I have run into a strange issue.

Listened to a ton of music, and two tracks both exhibited a problem that make me question if there is an issue with my specific headphone. Then again it may just be an odd resonance or something.

The introduction of both WHITE ZOMBIE's THUNDER KISS 65 and OZZY OZBOURNE'S CRAZY TRAIN (which both have distorted guitars) result in a couple of brief and SUBTLE high pitch but low volume buzzing/rattling instances in the right earcup . It is something you really have to listen for to notice . Has anyone experienced this? Could possibly be recording as well (or my hearing, I can hear higher frequency with my right ear than left) its hard to tell with the wide soundstage of this headphone but with these two songs I am hearing it. I've listened probably to over 100 songs of varying genres and haven't heard it anywhere else, even at high SPL.

I don't believe its a power issue as both of these passages just have electric guitar and I've played tons of much more power-demanding material with no issue.

Can you provide a link and time these occur so I can check? Also check your right earcup and make sure that there are no loose hairs near the driver and that the ear pad or Velcro isn't loose.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #3,108 of 4,370
Can you provide a link and time these occur so I can check? Also check your right earcup and make sure that there are no loose hairs near the driver and that the ear pad or Velcro isn't loose.

Check out two very very brief/0.5 second and subtle/low volume buzzes at 0:29 of this youtube video which I can only hear in the right earcup (though might be my hearing and its in both). It is poor quality and the buzzes also sound poor quality in the youtube video which makes me think they are a source issue (I have a HQ download and the buzzes sound sharper), especially since I can't figure out why that part of the song would cause distortion:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #3,109 of 4,370
Check out two very very brief/0.5 second and subtle/low volume buzzes at 0:29 of this youtube video which I can only hear in the right earcup (though might be my hearing and its in both). It is poor quality and the buzzes also sound poor quality in the youtube video which makes me think they are a source issue (I have a HQ download and the buzzes sound sharper), especially since I can't figure out why that part of the song would cause distortion:

I don't here anything at 29 seconds, but right before, like around 28.5 seconds, there is a kind of a scraping/plucking sound in both channels, but I hear it more in the left. It repeats throughout the song and sounds intentional. The first instance is actually around 5.5 seconds in.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #3,110 of 4,370
Good song that demos the capabilities of the HD820 - detail, vocals, soundstage, bass response:

Sirens of the Sea by Oceanlab
Fluffy Little Clouds by The Orb
Running up that Hill (2007 Digital Remaster) by Placebo
Running in the Night - FM84
Days of Thunder - The Midnight
I don't here anything at 29 seconds, but right before, like around 28.5 seconds, there is a kind of a scraping/plucking sound in both channels, but I hear it more in the left. It repeats throughout the song and sounds intentional. The first instance is actually around 5.5 seconds in.
Yeah thats probably it. High freq hearing in my left ear isnt as good as my right ear. Kinda throws me off a bit because when I hear these weird subtle sounds in only one channel I think its a driver issue, but instead a combination of my hearing and source material heh.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #3,111 of 4,370
So far the song I think shows off the range of the HD820 the best is:
If I Ever Fall In Love [Remix] - shai

Couple other good ones:
Sid Vortex - Wojciech Golczewski
Little Fluffy Clouds - The Orb
Days of Thunder - The Midnight
Sirens of the Sea - Oceanlab
Daniel - Bat for Lashes
Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx
A Matter of Trust - Billy Joel
Understand - Combichrist
With or Without You - U2
Peace Train - 10,000 Maniacs
Don't Forget Me - Way Out West
The Box Part II - Orbital
Ride All Night - September 87
Running Up That Hill - Placebo
Demon Speeding - Rob Zombie
Defying Gravity - Wicked Broadway
White Rabbit - Sucker Punch Soundtrack
Do you Hear the People Sing - Les Miserables 10th Anniv Broadway
Golgotha Tenement Blues - The Crow Soundtrack
The Phantom of the Opera - The Phantom of the Opera Broadway
Ain't Nobody - Chaka Khan

Anyone else have suggestions?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #3,112 of 4,370
Related equipment recommendation; as stated previously I've used the EVGA NU AUDIO soundcard ( https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Audio-712-P1-AN01-KR-Lifelike-Designed/dp/B07MSQJ3GY/ ) to power the HD820 and I can't believe how awesome it sounds, better than multiple $1000+ HPA/DACs I have tried with the HD700/HD800. Note there is a new version of the card but EVGA said they warmed it up and from my listening I wouldn't want it any warmer than the one I linked above, the original NU AUDIO is just about right for the HD820; if you are thinking of going this route I'd grab it ASAP as the original is out of production.

The one problem is there is no hardware volume knob... Problem solved! Microsoft Surface Dial: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-2WR-00001-Surface-Dial/dp/B01NARIOAX/
The Surface Dial sits right on your desk surface and is great for adjusting the NU AUDIO's volume anywhere in Windows.

I am still in shock how much I am enjoying the HD820 on a $250 HPA/DAC soundcard where the HD800 was so disappointing (and painful) for me on much more expensive external rigs. The HD820 works with so many genres of music - virtually all of them - unlike the HD800; and the HD820 is much more forgiving for less than stellar masters. I did hold onto my HD700, though, for stuff that's really bad as they are not as detailed and revealing as the HD820.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #3,113 of 4,370
Related equipment recommendation; as stated previously I've used the EVGA NU AUDIO soundcard ( https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Audio-712-P1-AN01-KR-Lifelike-Designed/dp/B07MSQJ3GY/ ) to power the HD820 and I can't believe how awesome it sounds, better than multiple $1000+ HPA/DACs I have tried with the HD700/HD800. Note there is a new version of the card but EVGA said they warmed it up and from my listening I wouldn't want it any warmer than the one I linked above, the original NU AUDIO is just about right for the HD820; if you are thinking of going this route I'd grab it ASAP as the original is out of production.

The one problem is there is no hardware volume knob... Problem solved! Microsoft Surface Dial: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-2WR-00001-Surface-Dial/dp/B01NARIOAX/
The Surface Dial sits right on your desk surface and is great for adjusting the NU AUDIO's volume anywhere in Windows.

I am still in shock how much I am enjoying the HD820 on a $250 HPA/DAC soundcard where the HD800 was so disappointing (and painful) for me on much more expensive external rigs. The HD820 works with so many genres of music - virtually all of them - unlike the HD800; and the HD820 is much more forgiving for less than stellar masters. I did hold onto my HD700, though, for stuff that's really bad as they are not as detailed and revealing as the HD820.

So you plug your HD820 directly into the back of your computer?

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,114 of 4,370
So you plug your HD820 directly into the back of your computer?

Yes and I leave it plugged in. I have PC hooked up to a good quality ups/surge protector

Also, with the nu audio control panel I can disable the rear headphone jack after each listening session with 1 click so they aren't being used unnecessarily.

Nu audio allows independent volume control and/or muting of: front headphone jack/mic (for game headset), rear headphone jack, and rca speaker output

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #3,115 of 4,370
Oh man you guys gotta check this one out:
Shipwrecked [John O' Callaghan vs Mike Foyle Club Mix] - Armin Van Buuren State of Trance 2006 Disc 1

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #3,116 of 4,370
Oh man you guys gotta check this one out:
Shipwrecked [John O' Callaghan vs Mike Foyle Club Mix] - Armin Van Buuren State of Trance 2006 Disc 1
Is that on a streaming platform? I don’t have an HD 820 here, but I have many other headphones and I’ve been enjoying your song suggestions :D :beerchug:

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #3,117 of 4,370
Is that on a streaming platform? I don’t have an HD 820 here, but I have many other headphones and I’ve been enjoying your song suggestions :D :beerchug:
Don't think so the version on streaming platforms is different. Seems they axed a lot of the cool sound effects on the apple music etc versions

But youtube has the full CD version, not as good quality as CD likely tho

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #3,118 of 4,370
Thanks for all the recommendations, some of them I will have to wait a bit to listen to, but I had a decent bit of them on my fiio, I laughed, Machines of Loving Grace-Golgotha Tenement Blues was one of the songs I used in the review of the hd820 that I never finished.

Can't remember all of the songs used, but here are the ones I remember

Holst- The Planets: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age, can't remember which composition, I have 3
Kansas-Can I tell you
John Denver-Forest Lawn (live)
Apocalyptica-Flying Dutchman (live)
Led Zeppelin-Ramble On
Berlin-Take my breath away (ironic and not recommended at this time)
Marcello-Concerto in D Minor for oboe and strings, II. Adagio
Bach-Prelude and Fugue in C, BMV 547: Fugue Bach on an organ
Beastie Boys- cant remember if it was Brass monkey or intergalactic
Jars of Clay-Famous Last Words
Project 86-Me against Me
Rage against the machine-Fistful of Steel (hesitate to recommend political songs in this day, but got to respect the guitarist, if they ever made an instrumental album....)
Gunther Schuler-Sextet for bassoon, string quartet & piano: 2. Arioso
Sting- Englishman in New York
Michael Andrews- Mad World
Le Sacre du printemps Part 1. The Adoration of the Earth. Dances of the Young Girls
Herbie Hancock- Vein Melter
Vince Guaraldi- Cast your fate to the wind (Bass on these headphones goes well with his unique piano style)
Dream Theater- Metropolis - Part I The Miracle And The Sleeper

Soon as I can I will go back and listen to the ones I do not already have that you have recommended. That is always the exciting part, new music. Always good to broaden the horizons.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #3,119 of 4,370
Nice! gonna queue up some Dream Theatre great idea and some cool ones to explore!

Some more I ran into I really liked the sound of:

The Construction - Jerry Goldsmith / Explorers Soundtrack
Main Title - John Barry / The Black Hole Soundtrack
Main Title - Craig Safan / The Last Starfighter Soundtrack
Main Title - Vangelis / Blade Runner Soundtrack
Life's a Happy Song - The Muppets Soundtrack
Alone in Kyoto - Lost in Translation Soundtrack
Tron Scherzo - Tron Soundtrack
Derezzed [Avicii Remix] - Daft Punk / Tron Reconfigured Soundtrack
Jumper - Ananda Shake
Venger (feat. Great Link) - PERTURBATOR
Magnetic Force - Saiko-Pod (aka Koxbox)
This is War (feat. Sylvain Coudret) - Volkor X
Warrior - Skazi
Black Sunshine - White Zombie
Afterlife Club - Sung
Melodrama (Remix) - Vibe Tribe
Symphonatic (Infected Mushroom & Astrix Remix) - Infected Mushroom
The Cross - Makeup and Vanity Set
Electric Fury - A.P.E. [Advanced Psychadelic Energy]
Wysteria - Dan Fogelberg
Starstruck - Lady Gaga
The Diary of Jane [Acoustic] - Breaking Benjamin
According to Plan - I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness
Anything is Possible - Astral Projection
Columbian Necktie - Cydonia
Such Great Heights - The Postal Service
Ruby - Tweaker
The Great Below - Nine Inch Nails
Kelly - Van She
No Quarter [Live 6/01/2011 Holmdel, NJ] - Phish
Hushabye - The Mystics
Shangri-La - Vic Damone
Into the Night - Benny Mardones
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
Life is Beautiful - Vega 4

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #3,120 of 4,370
My list of new materials to listen to, grows. I do have some of those, I have a decent collection of John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith, and some of the other soundtracks. May have a few of the others but not on my dap, it will give me plenty of listening material when I get going.

I'm more of an orchestra and instrumental person at heart, listen mainly to non vocal smaller ensemble and chamber music, jazz, occasional soundtrack. Always trying new stuff though, and surprisingly like most things as well. Sometimes the hardest part of trying new stuff is figuring out what to try. It is why I haven't listened to a lot of electronic music, or latin music, just don't know where to begin.

I've always struggled to like country or hip hop or anything with a harmonica. I keep trying, just can't seem to get it. Thought it might be an old age thing, but I can handle heavy metal and even the occasional screamo as long as it isn't too often. I will keep trying, it may be like organ music, took a long time before it did not sound like nails on a chalk board, and even longer before I could enjoy it.

Regardless, HD820 is very versatile, every so often there will be a song where the bass is too much, or a poorly mastered song that these illuminate too harshly, but for the most part everything that I have listened to on it has been phenomenal. I have just put my dap on shuffle all and whatever it plays, I enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back