Sennheiser HD820
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #3,121 of 4,370
Regardless, HD820 is very versatile, every so often there will be a song where the bass is too much, or a poorly mastered song that these illuminate too harshly, but for the most part everything that I have listened to on it has been phenomenal. I have just put my dap on shuffle all and whatever it plays, I enjoy.

This is what I like best about it . While the hd800 knocked my socks off at first with some material there was much more material and entire genres I couldnt listen to without fatigue or disappointment in the overall sound, no matter the equipment paired. The HD820 just sounds great with everything and is easier to pair with an HPA too.

Another track that sounds great: HOLD ME UP by LIVE

edit: and for a classical piece:
Swan Lake Ballet Suite, Op. 20 (Excerpts, Remastered). Act II, No. 10, Scene. Moderato - Leonard Bernstein / New York Philharmonic Orchestra

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #3,122 of 4,370
Here is my HD820 demo song find of the day: WILD ONES by FM-84; Runner-up: Why by Stabbing Westward

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,123 of 4,370
FOUND a new demo song! Excellent usage of the whole frequency range and soundstage!

WHEN YOU GROW UP YOUR HEART DIES by GUNSHIP

Also when you get done listening to the above high quality version, if you like the song check out the below fan clips edit music video:

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #3,125 of 4,370
Been awhile, finally moving about and getting some work done. My son had gotten me a bottlehead crack (preassembled) as a get well present, it had been damaged in shipping and he had a good portion of it in pieces trying to repair it. Had some fun, been awhile since I did any soldering other than reterminating cables. Fixed the broken rail with the rectifier circuit, and found a malfunctioning potentiometer, could have greased, but instead I swapped in a cheap stepped attenuator I had, although i had to modify it first, and while I was in there I swapped the novel base to an octal, wired for 6sn7 and equivalent. Took a few days, didn't want to breathe in too much soldering fumes, but got it running this morning and have to say, it goes well with the hd820, not that I have found anything that the hd820 does not do well on, but, seems to be great for some of my older classical recordings. Been enjoying them all afternoon, cellos and timpani in particular are very dynamic, and organ music is as well. Feels good to be moving again, and I got a backlog of music to listen to... life is good

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,126 of 4,370
Been awhile, finally moving about and getting some work done. My son had gotten me a bottlehead crack (preassembled) as a get well present, it had been damaged in shipping and he had a good portion of it in pieces trying to repair it. Had some fun, been awhile since I did any soldering other than reterminating cables. Fixed the broken rail with the rectifier circuit, and found a malfunctioning potentiometer, could have greased, but instead I swapped in a cheap stepped attenuator I had, although i had to modify it first, and while I was in there I swapped the novel base to an octal, wired for 6sn7 and equivalent. Took a few days, didn't want to breathe in too much soldering fumes, but got it running this morning and have to say, it goes well with the hd820, not that I have found anything that the hd820 does not do well on, but, seems to be great for some of my older classical recordings. Been enjoying them all afternoon, cellos and timpani in particular are very dynamic, and organ music is as well. Feels good to be moving again, and I got a backlog of music to listen to... life is good
Good to hear

I'd love the hear the hd820 on a Phonitor X but already spent too much on the headphones!

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #3,127 of 4,370

You’re my new idol. I need to learn all of that so I can screw around with the internals...

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,128 of 4,370
Good to hear

I'd love the hear the hd820 on a Phonitor X but already spent too much on the headphones!

Phonitor x looks amazing good by the specs, and crossfeed is almost necessary for certain high effect mastered cds. It certainly looks more impressive than the v281 that I have been eyeballing (german amps for german phones). The only consolation I can offer is that with those 2000+ dollar amps you rarely get an equivalent boost in performance, music can only sound so good after all, but the satisfaction would probably be worth it.

On another note, there are a lot of software crossfeeds available and some of them are very well implemented, jriver would be the one I would recommend just for ease of use and other features.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #3,129 of 4,370
You’re my new idol. I need to learn all of that so I can screw around with the internals...

Thats kind of you to say, it helps to have steady hands (which I don't these days), but often creativity and the right tools can make up for short comings. And the internet, can find anything if you look hard enough. I have to find some time to start teaching my son, he never showed much interest before, but I guess now that he is getting into higher end audio, he is taking interest. He was a bit discouraged trying to fix the broken rectifier rail, but its always harder to work on what is already purposed that to work from a clean slate. I may save up and get him an unassembled kit of some sort to get him a better starting point.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3,130 of 4,370
Phonitor x looks amazing good by the specs, and crossfeed is almost necessary for certain high effect mastered cds. It certainly looks more impressive than the v281 that I have been eyeballing (german amps for german phones). The only consolation I can offer is that with those 2000+ dollar amps you rarely get an equivalent boost in performance, music can only sound so good after all, but the satisfaction would probably be worth it.

On another note, there are a lot of software crossfeeds available and some of them are very well implemented, jriver would be the one I would recommend just for ease of use and other features.
TBH I would fear the v281 would be too "dark" for the hd820 based on what I've heard about violectric overall sound signature. Likely better match for hd800. Musical Fidelity MX series also was great on hd800 but I found a bit dark for hd700

I do have jriver , great app. Phonitor X interesting to me for hd820 as (like a loaded v281) can act as hpa, DAC, balanced preamp for studio montiors, plus has hardware crossfeed/time delay and fairly neutral.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #3,131 of 4,370
I had a v281. Sold it because of the hum from the transformers. Unsurprisingly it was about twice as loud as the V200, since the V281 is essentially a double V200 with 2 transformers.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #3,133 of 4,370
Never heard a hum from my V280 or my friends V200.
The lake people transformers are top notch.
When you experience hum with good toroidal transformers the problem is at your power line.
You have great DC offset and that is why you hear hum.
You need a DC blocker.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #3,134 of 4,370
So have people tried the HDV 820 with HD820? I am seeing some say it makes the HD800 sound less bright and helps with HD800S bass which makes me think it would be muddy with the HD820 despite the name.

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,135 of 4,370
Well trying it with them at the Sennheiser store was enough to get me to buy the 820 but only drool over the HDV 820. This was early on my journey, but it was impressive with the S also. I have been tempted since they put it on sale, but I think it's still overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back