Sennheiser HD820
Dec 21, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #2,881 of 4,357
The difference I’ve read are, more base on the 820s but not as large sound stage compared to the 800S.

sounds about right in a nutshell. The increased lower end enables a more enjoyable sound for me, it’s a fuller bodied sound with more weight to it. Still analytical but less cold than the 800 and 800s to lesser extend. I love my 820

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #2,884 of 4,357
I have both and love both. The "in a nutshell" description above is right. I wouldn't call an 800S analytical though, it's good at it but has more to offer than that.

I have no problem with the comfort of these models at all but other people have. But I have to admit I have never worn a headphone more comfortable than the Focal range, it feels like those were molded around my head.

I do prefer the HD800S sound over the Utopia but the Utopia is very good as well. The Stellia was not so good, my main problem with it was the uncontrolled bass that couldn't even be controlled with a top amp. I treid it for two weeks and at it's price the Stellia underwhelmed me.

Chord Mojo won't be bad if you're going portable but for at home I'd get some more serious amping to get the best out of the Senn 600/650/8XX range.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #2,885 of 4,357
Originally I was looking to get a closed back headphone so I could use it when I was out. If I get the 820s, they will probably become my main headphones. Portably wise, could I walk around with them outside using the mojo?. I will sell my lcd2f in any case.

No chance could I take the 800S out of the house, it would defeat the point of having an open back.

How do you think I ifi black label would cope with them?

A few people have said they prefer the lcd2f over the hd800s/ 820. I love my lcd2s but I found the 820s more open

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #2,886 of 4,357
I had the LCD XC which I liked just a little better than the LCD-3 but I sold it anyway, I seem to like dynamics more than orthos and stats.
Personally, I'd prefer the Mojo over the iFi.

But as I said before:
- I have no use for portable headphones, I only use mine at home.
- A portable headphone needs to be closed back but not every closed back is a portable headphone.
With this I refer to portability as using your gear outdoors. I wouldn't want to us an 820 on the street, there are smaller, comfortable phones for that and maybe having noise reduction would prove to be a benefit over pure SQ.
But portability could mean something different for you like for example taking your headphones with you on business trips to use in a hotel room. Then I would opt for something like an 820 in a good case for example but with a small desktop amp.

Dec 21, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #2,887 of 4,357
My first idea was getting a closed back for walking around outside, probably the best headphone for that is the new Dan Clark. I made that mistake of trying the 820s and I was impressed with how they sounded. Would I get them over the Dan Clark’s if I had to sacrifice taking them out.probably. And that’s my dilemma, because if I don’t take them out much l, then should I get the 800s. That’s the question.

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #2,892 of 4,357
Glad too see more chatter about the HD820’s. I think these are great headphones that maintain the heart of the HD8xx’s sound. If you’re a fan of the HD800 or HD800S’s and want more bass and body to your sound but still get all the details with a lot clarity in a closed headphone, it’s hard to beat the HD820’s. The soundstage is huge and is unparalleled in my opinion for a closed back headphone.

The Verite closed is another headphone with a big soundstage. It has a warmer, meatier sound with a lush midrange and a musical quality about them that would go well with the HD820’s as an alternate headphone.

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #2,895 of 4,357
Are you still thinking? The sound signature of the Stellia and the HD820 is completely different, it is like comparing the HD800S with the Utopia. Both have their merits, but for me personally the Focal signature is more engaging. With my preferences for a closed headphone and gear, the Stellia are a clear winner when using a DAP. If I would use high powered stationary amp for my closed headphone, I might have decided otherwise. By the way, I love the build of my HD800S and HD820, but the Stellia is design wise on a different level. M2C.
I sold my 820 and take stellia.
I gave them 250 hours playing but i prefer hd 820,and Now i'm selling the stellia

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back