Sennheiser HD820
Nov 4, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2,866 of 4,357
Yeah, they stopped including the XLR, but kept the price the same. I didn't need the 4.4mm and was able to sell it for $150.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #2,867 of 4,357
Thanks guys, that explains it. It’s always fun to be caught in a transitional phase. I like the 4.4mm idea of using this for home and mobile (instead of the tiny 2.5mm) but none of my gear has this (yet) ....sigh, so adapters are coming in to convert 4.4 to XLR, 4.4 to 3.5mm balanced and 4.4 to 2.5mm balanced.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #2,868 of 4,357
Ok - my observations after a couple of days having these:

I was frustrated with having to find the right fit for the bass to shine. But then I had the epiphany - it's not only how they sit on your head but also the bloody earpads need to warm up to be soft enough to mold to year head....so after 20 -30 minutes suddenly it all falls into place and my "real' listening session can begin.

They rock - that soundstage and that fullness of sound - amazing.

Once the seal is achieved - reallly lovely full and engaging sound that makes me smile with every new (old) song I listen to them for the first time.

I wish someone would come up with easier to use earpads that provide a better seal right away...

EDIT: Can someone confirm this? Do you have the same experience?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #2,869 of 4,357
i had good luck by taking the pad off the headband and carefully bending the metal headband to increase clamp. extend the cups to their longest length makes it easier.

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #2,870 of 4,357
i had good luck by taking the pad off the headband and carefully bending the metal headband to increase clamp. extend the cups to their longest length makes it easier.
I shall try this tomorrow. Many thanks.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #2,871 of 4,357
Ok guys,i bought the stellias.
My impression against hd820?
As l said everyone in the web prefer so far the stellia,Someone think the 820 isn't choerent between the middle and the bass frequencies.
Personally i prefer the stellia sound segnature because is warmer and a bit more detailed than 820.
But the 820 with his soundstage give life to the music...the stellia DON'T have any soundstage..is a really big lack (sorry for my english).
Two beautiful pair of headphones,BOTH at the same level IMHO

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #2,873 of 4,357
Nono,believe me i red everywhere in the web,and the difference between impedances,due to the fact that the 820 suffers from sudden temperature changes,for mobile setup generally stellia is preferred.
About sound signature the general sound is too dry,the bass in the 820 is inexistent...in my hopinion isn't true.
Because before judge a headphone you should keep them at least 3 months,the burn in factor is too important and for each headphone you have to find the right sinergy.
For me the 820 is really a beautiful headphone despite many people criticize it.
If you close your eyes you're in a big room and the sound comes to Life,the clarity is better than stellia,is so clean...
unfortunately it has been designed to be a closed headphone, and therefore portable, but unfortunately you can't carry it around, after an hour of walking they create the haze of condensation in the gorilla glass.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #2,875 of 4,357
Hello,
I've noticed, that the top of the headband of the HD820 makes some pressure on the head after longer usage… are there any solutions for that? tried with a little bit foam, which helps but looks quite silly.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #2,876 of 4,357
Hello guys,I need your opinion about my situation.
I bought my HD 820 some time ago,in june;initially I drove the lady with my fiio x3+chord Mojo via optical;very good sound,a bit dry...but no addictive..and I tought che change the 820 with a focal stella (selling 820 and adding 1000 €).
But before selling the headphone I tried to change my source with a Sony wm1a using balanced output.
Tadan,the sound signature was really different!!Warmer and wider against the Mojo. Now it's a pleasure to listen my 820.
Recently I tried the stellia but I wasn't surprised (however the stellia hadn't the time to burn in,I have to admitt).
Reading in the Web many people opt for the stellia against the 820.
Should I give a chance to these stellia? I know that i'll sacrifice the soundstage,but I don't want to loose also the clear details too..your opinion?

Are you still thinking? The sound signature of the Stellia and the HD820 is completely different, it is like comparing the HD800S with the Utopia. Both have their merits, but for me personally the Focal signature is more engaging. With my preferences for a closed headphone and gear, the Stellia are a clear winner when using a DAP. If I would use high powered stationary amp for my closed headphone, I might have decided otherwise. By the way, I love the build of my HD800S and HD820, but the Stellia is design wise on a different level. M2C.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #2,877 of 4,357
Are you still thinking? The sound signature of the Stellia and the HD820 is completely different, it is like comparing the HD800S with the Utopia. Both have their merits, but for me personally the Focal signature is more engaging. With my preferences for a closed headphone and gear, the Stellia are a clear winner when using a DAP. If I would use high powered stationary amp for my closed headphone, I might have decided otherwise. By the way, I love the build of my HD800S and HD820, but the Stellia is design wise on a different level. M2C.

That's interesting, and shows how subjective this hobby is. I used both the Stellia and 820 for a period of time (powered from Mojo and iFi Micro iDSD BL) and enjoy the 820 SQ much better. Stellia had that "confined" closed-back quality while the 820 sounds big and "open". However, specifically talking about details, I did feel the Stellia was more resolving, particularly in the highs. Enjoy the bass on both, but also felt the Stellia was more controlled there. Overall, the 820 just gives me more enjoyment.

The build on the Stellia is def a leap ahead. Loved the exterior and almost want to buy it because how sweet it looks and feels. But SQ trumps all (and budget). The 820 does look rad, just wish it didn't feel cheap.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #2,879 of 4,357
I went with the 820s (should be getting them next week) over the new Dan Clark. I’ve not been able to try out the 800S, so I’m not sure if I’ve made the rite decision going for the 820s over the 800S.

I had the 800S for a few weeks borrowed from a friend. I liked it but didn’t love it. I bought the 820 - for me, you certainly made the right decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back