Sennheiser HD820
Aug 25, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #2,162 of 4,357
Interesting observations so far guys. I'm debating if I need a closed headphones anymore. I own the HD800 modded and have been super happy with them given I have several great amps to power them with. For instance, my HD800 + Brack Dragon + ECP DSHA-4/L3 is nearly neck to neck with my SR009 system. Bass quantity is really not a problem for me with the HD800 either. I may have to buy one from Cruthfield and live with them for couple of weeks and find it out for myself. I suspect that those extra bottom end will come in handy when I power them portably out of my Sony NW-WM1Z/ZX300. I generally prefer clarity and transparent sound over bass thumping of the Z1R...so the HD820 may fit the bill. Still, the HD820 are more than twice the price of the HD820 and three time the price of beat up HD800.

For your viewing pleasure, the very best amp for the HD800 for me thus far, the ECP L3.

10159830_thumb.jpg

10159831_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• ECP L3.jpg
    ECP L3.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ECP L3-1.jpg
    ECP L3-1.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #2,163 of 4,357
I'm a bit confused by what jude means by tonal balance over resolution is the hd820 to him more energetic in its approach with more of a harmonos tone to the music?
I think he means that voices and instruments sound more tonally accurate in terms of timbre but may forsake the ultimate in detail that the 800s provide.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,164 of 4,357
Interesting observations so far guys. I'm debating if I need a closed headphones anymore. I own the HD800 modded and have been super happy with them given I have several great amps to power them with. For instance, my HD800 + Brack Dragon + ECP DSHA-4/L3 is nearly neck to neck with my SR009 system. Bass quantity is really not a problem for me with the HD800 either. I may have to buy one from Cruthfield and live with them for couple of weeks and find it out for myself. I suspect that those extra bottom end will come in handy when I power them portably out of my Sony NW-WM1Z/ZX300. I generally prefer clarity and transparent sound over bass thumping of the Z1R...so the HD820 may fit the bill. Still, the HD820 are more than twice the price of the HD820 and three time the price of beat up HD800.

For your viewing pleasure, the very best amp for the HD800 for me thus far, the ECP L3.

10159830_thumb.jpg

10159831_thumb.jpg
doug's amps look superb

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #2,165 of 4,357
seal.png

Something I've really noticed lately after seeing this graph is how much I prefer the 820 while wearing (thin armed) glasses. I'm a person who usually does anyway so I hadn't really been paying much attention before how the bass performance was without them. But I definitely agree that it have a bit too much of it when you aren't. Electronic music just sounds better to me with them on. Not sure what they were thinking here over at sennheiser since obviously most people don't wear glasses.

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,169 of 4,357
seal.png

Something I've really noticed lately after seeing this graph is how much I prefer the 820 while wearing (thin armed) glasses. I'm a person who usually does anyway so I hadn't really been paying much attention before how the bass performance was without them. But I definitely agree that it have a bit too much of it when you aren't. Electronic music just sounds better to me with them on. Not sure what they were thinking here over at sennheiser since obviously most people don't wear glasses.
Could it be possible that the space created between your glasses and the pads seal are letting out some of the excess bass? I did experience this effect when using closed headphones that did not have a solid grip on the head to compensate.

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,170 of 4,357
Could it be possible that the space created between your glasses and the pads seal are letting out some of the excess bass? I did experience this effect when using closed headphones that did not have a solid grip on the head to compensate.
Yeah this is what's happening of course. But it's surprising that this is actually improving the sound. They really did set the bass too high.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #2,173 of 4,357
How are both isolation and leakage on the HD820?
Isolation is of less importance than leakage to me as they won't be used in a noisy environment but I would like to use them at a decent volume without annoying others.
I did a search here but the answers were not too specific and actually all over the place as well.

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #2,174 of 4,357
How are both isolation and leakage on the HD820?
Isolation is of less importance than leakage to me as they won't be used in a noisy environment but I would like to use them at a decent volume without annoying others.
I did a search here but the answers were not too specific and actually all over the place as well.
My experience is they do leak more then most closed back but much less so then open backs of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back