1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD820

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Dulalala, Apr 29, 2017.
First

Back
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
Next

Last
  1. purk Contributor
    Interesting observations so far guys. I'm debating if I need a closed headphones anymore. I own the HD800 modded and have been super happy with them given I have several great amps to power them with. For instance, my HD800 + Brack Dragon + ECP DSHA-4/L3 is nearly neck to neck with my SR009 system. Bass quantity is really not a problem for me with the HD800 either. I may have to buy one from Cruthfield and live with them for couple of weeks and find it out for myself. I suspect that those extra bottom end will come in handy when I power them portably out of my Sony NW-WM1Z/ZX300. I generally prefer clarity and transparent sound over bass thumping of the Z1R...so the HD820 may fit the bill. Still, the HD820 are more than twice the price of the HD820 and three time the price of beat up HD800.

For your viewing pleasure, the very best amp for the HD800 for me thus far, the ECP L3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    trellus, tommyhtc, Whitigir and 2 others like this.
  2. Beagle
    I think he means that voices and instruments sound more tonally accurate in terms of timbre but may forsake the ultimate in detail that the 800s provide.

3. up late
    doug's amps look superb

purk likes this.
  4. 8bitme
    [​IMG]

Something I've really noticed lately after seeing this graph is how much I prefer the 820 while wearing (thin armed) glasses. I'm a person who usually does anyway so I hadn't really been paying much attention before how the bass performance was without them. But I definitely agree that it have a bit too much of it when you aren't. Electronic music just sounds better to me with them on. Not sure what they were thinking here over at sennheiser since obviously most people don't wear glasses.

5. andromeda1954

trellus likes this.
  6. FastAndClean
    if the pads from HD800 can be put on the HD820 that can fix the bass

7. 8bitme
    Edit: Going to test some other EQ's. Will update this in a while.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  8. Art Garfunkel
    Could it be possible that the space created between your glasses and the pads seal are letting out some of the excess bass? I did experience this effect when using closed headphones that did not have a solid grip on the head to compensate.

9. 8bitme
    Yeah this is what's happening of course. But it's surprising that this is actually improving the sound. They really did set the bass too high.

10. Art Garfunkel
    Not to mention that getting good solid articulate bass from a cheap, thin plastic enclosure is a fool's errand at the best of times.

11. 8bitme
    Well at this price point you do expect them to do a better job in this department then they do to be honest. EQ does seem to help though.

12. AppleheadMay
    How are both isolation and leakage on the HD820?
    Isolation is of less importance than leakage to me as they won't be used in a noisy environment but I would like to use them at a decent volume without annoying others.
    I did a search here but the answers were not too specific and actually all over the place as well.

13. 8bitme
    My experience is they do leak more then most closed back but much less so then open backs of course.

14. AppleheadMay
    Dammit!
    I was hoping for not much leakage and a HD800S with more bass presence while giving up some space.
    Thanks though!

15. jude Administrator
    Sorry, everyone, things got busier here than I anticipated (both work and personal), and I wanted to post the video of Axel's talk in addition to the measurements. Here's Axel Grell's talk from CanJam New York 2018. I have to leave town to go to a karting race (I'm not in it, a friend is), so hopefully tonight when I get back and I can finish up and post the measurements:

trellus and 8bitme like this.
First

Back
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
Next

Last