Sennheiser HD820
Jun 30, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,591 of 4,357
If you haven’t heard the HD820 how can you be sure it’s ‘better’ than the Sony? I think you’ll find a very vocal group of listeners that like to ‘feel’ and not just hear the bass from their headphones strongly disagreeing with you.

As for the Ether, it’s probably the most dull, lifeless, sterile sounding ‘TOTL’ headphone I’ve heard to date, so it won’t take much for the HD820 to surpass it in my opinion.

Someone’s opinion, the internet is full of em.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #1,592 of 4,357
I can't wait to break the glass and do a shatter mod,

Open v Closed isn't really about isolation per se, though that does end up being a benefit. It's more about where you want to feel the sound from. Open makes it feel very present and "in room," whereas closed is more about a "generated" experience. One makes it feel like the band is "there," and the other makes you feel you are there WITH the band. A good set of closed has the same imaging and soundstage as an open, the difference is that one makes you feel you're AT the venue whereas the other feels like the venue has COME to you. There is an argument to be made in terms of realism vs synthesis, but not sound quality or resolving. I imagine a set of HD820's is more about feeling "transported" than it is about feeling "they're there" with you.
I would say this would be very dependent on what volume level you were listening at.

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,593 of 4,357
Special delivery...

599C403A-5B3C-4278-88B0-60875462D175.jpeg

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,595 of 4,357
Dunno. These sound better to me already than the HD800S I returned. Not as veiled in the midrange to my ears. Albeit, I haven’t had the HD800S on for a couple of months now, so my impression may not be very reliable. There’s some minor sibilance in the higher range female vocals. Midrange is very localized.

Color me impressed already. I haven’t had my Utopias on for awhile (post-partem Susvara depression...), but I’ll have to do some A/Bing tomorrow. I’ve never been satisfied with the Utopia soundstage. It’s a great sounding headphone because of its ability to bring out detail at the expense of running a bit hot in the upper frequencies, but can be grating occasionally with higher frequency female vocals.

Setup: Oppo 105D->PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP->HD820

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #1,596 of 4,357
Dunno. These sound better to me already than the HD800S I returned. Not as veiled in the midrange to my ears. There’s sone minor sibilance in the higher range female vocals. Midrange is very localized.

Color me impressed already. I haven’t had my Utopias on for awhile (post-partem Susvara depression...), but I’ll have to do some A/Bing tomorrow. I’ve never been satisfied with the Utopia soundstage. It’s a great sounding headphone because of its ability to bring out detail at the expense of running a bit hot in the upper frequencies, but can be grating occasionally with higher frequency female vocals.
I suggest burning in at least for 48 hours. Sibilance will be tamed without affecting the treble, and base/mid will get fuller (not bloated though). At least, that was my experience. I love them so far.

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,597 of 4,357
I suggest burning in at least for 48 hours. Sibilance will be tamed without affecting the treble, and base/mid will get fuller (not bloated though). At least, that was my experience. I love them so far.

Yeah, so far I really like the sound. My daughter came downstairs and was talking to me for a few minutes just now and I didn’t even know it. Great sound isolation for the wearer! I put them on her head, and they are audible to me while sitting next to her, but not excessively audible. I can mostly hear the upper mid-range. I had them turned up pretty loud. I would imagine they won’t annoy my GF when she’s trying to sleep if I keep the sound lower. Tonight will have to be the acid test on that...

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #1,598 of 4,357
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,599 of 4,357
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,600 of 4,357
Having tried the three questioned here is my view. Ether C Flow is comfortable, generally balanced, could use more bass, bothersome treble spike. Isolates average. Not as good overall as Ether Flow (Open) which is smoother, and while not as extended in the sub bass, it is fuller there. The Sony MDR-Z1 has a wider soundstage, not very tall, isolation the same or a bit less than average. The highs are smoother but has a treble spike, though not as bad. Great bass but can be a bit much on some bass heavy material, competing better with the HD820 than the Flow. Like a bassier version, with warmer treble. Comfortable. HD820 are very comfortable, lighter, more balanced sound. Nothing sticks out, not the mids like a planar, treble like an Ether, bass like the Z1. Far more accurate. For a closed soundstage is wider than average but not extreme. Natural, tall, you get how the source sounds rather than an extreme version of it. Not as open as the HD800' but almost no cans below 2,500 USD are. Being almost as open in sound is quite an achievement. Despite enclosure and glass, no resonance or obvious reflection. That is what is crucial - standing on their own as a closed set, they do that like few others. Only the MDR-Z1 felt near as open sounding, a bit more 3D, but softer treble and more bass kind of counteracts that aspect for the Z1 v. HD820.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,603 of 4,357
Having tried the three questioned here is my view. Ether C Flow is comfortable, generally balanced, could use more bass, bothersome treble spike. Isolates average. Not as good overall as Ether Flow (Open) which is smoother, and while not as extended in the sub bass, it is fuller there. The Sony MDR-Z1 has a wider soundstage, not very tall, isolation the same or a bit less than average. The highs are smoother but has a treble spike, though not as bad. Great bass but can be a bit much on some bass heavy material, competing better with the HD820 than the Flow. Like a bassier version, with warmer treble. Comfortable. HD820 are very comfortable, lighter, more balanced sound. Nothing sticks out, not the mids like a planar, treble like an Ether, bass like the Z1. Far more accurate. For a closed soundstage is wider than average but not extreme. Natural, tall, you get how the source sounds rather than an extreme version of it. Not as open as the HD800' but almost no cans below 2,500 USD are. Being almost as open in sound is quite an achievement. Despite enclosure and glass, no resonance or obvious reflection. That is what is crucial - standing on their own as a closed set, they do that like few others. Only the MDR-Z1 felt near as open sounding, a bit more 3D, but softer treble and more bass kind of counteracts that aspect for the Z1 v. HD820.
Great impressions, thanks. Have you heard either of the ZMF flagship closed backs? Both of those consistently review better than the Z1R, although the Atticus is unashamedly coloured so if neutrality is your thing the HD820 will likely be a better match. Would be interesting to read an Eikon vs HD820 matchup.

Jun 30, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,604 of 4,357
Dunno. These sound better to me already than the HD800S I returned. Not as veiled in the midrange to my ears. Albeit, I haven’t had the HD800S on for a couple of months now, so my impression may not be very reliable. There’s some minor sibilance in the higher range female vocals. Midrange is very localized.

Setup: Oppo 105D->PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP->HD820
Any chance of a front on headshot wearing them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back