Sennheiser HD820
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,561 of 4,357
The Z1R is a very polarizing headphone and the HD800 line has a lot of detractors as well. So saying one is better than the other without hearing both is you just typing meaningless gibberish.

It is a very polarizing headphone, I personally think the Z1R is unfairly bashed and honestly misunderstood by many.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,562 of 4,357
It is a very polarizing headphone, I personally think the Z1R is unfairly bashed and honestly misunderstood by many.
I love the sound of my Z1R’s. You can just sit back and enjoy the music and hear every single note being played out of every instrument in studio or on the stage. It’s really that good to me. I’m more curious to see how the HD820 compares to it than any other headphone out there.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,563 of 4,357
I said nothing disqualifying about their amps. I have no idea what you are saying "will bring the used price down". What am I not right about?
Oh, sorry I misread your words. I read this on this very same thread a few times that people think that the Sennheiser HDVD 820 is crap.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,565 of 4,357
I would also strongly suggest against anyone looking for a "HD800, just closed back" as they are fundamentally different designs and will sound different accordingly. I would have thought Sennheiser would change the naming / numbering to reflect this but alas they did not, and thus the name suggests it is an upgrade.
/QUOTE]

I'd would be interested in reading someone's comparison who is going to buy the HD820, and already owns the Sennheiser HD630VB, as this one was not designed to be a $500 toy.
Senn spent a lot of time with it, trying to make it sound great, and maybe because of the color and the "fiddly" bass control, it was just not grabbed by Headphone addicts the way most "new" Senn models usually fly off the shelves.
I remember that when it came out, it was hailed by Senn as an "Audiophile" product., and a lot of owners really like it a lot.
It certainly is not a HD600 in a closed can.
So, to compare it to the HD820, would be for me, an interesting read. And if a few said....>"hummm, sounds a lot like (9*%) the HD820"......then, wouldn't that be interesting to contemplate ??
Would it be difficult for someone who just spent 2G-UDS on the HD820, to write...."well, it sounds just like the $500 HD630VB, if you dont increase the bass response".. ???
= Yes.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,566 of 4,357
1. Is Z1R or Ether C Flow more natural sounding?
2. Is Z1R isolation better than Ether C Flow ?
3. Are there any aspects of Z1R where you prefer those over Ether C Flow?
4. Did you hear HD820

I'll PM you in a bit and answer your questions so we can keep the thread on topic.

I've not heard the HD820 yet.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,568 of 4,357
Marques Brownlee has a review of these on YouTube. He's not an audiophile, but the visual tour is worth the watch. Dat 8K, yo :wink:. I'm SUPER skeptical about the glass enclosure. I feel like it would make them way over-bright, even IF the phones end up with the Veil.

Yea, it's talked about a few pages ago.

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,569 of 4,357
I'll PM you in a bit and answer your questions so we can keep the thread on topic.

I've not heard the HD820 yet.
The answer is absolutely on topic, as this is about the next great closed headphone. Please dare to tell your opinion here.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,570 of 4,357
These silly HD8xx-series price-hikes were made just because they can - the manufacturers realised that this is now ok. Balanced cable, version of a user-mod or a glass enclosure don't begin to justify these prices. Too many hi-fi consumers seem to be very willing to pay, unfortunately for the rest of us. But hey, thanks Sennheiser for not raising the price of HD60xx-series. They are now a real bargain.

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,571 of 4,357
These silly HD8xx-series price-hikes were made just because they can - the manufacturers realised that this is now ok. Balanced cable, version of a user-mod or a glass enclosure don't begin to justify these prices. Too many hi-fi consumers seem to be very willing to pay, unfortunately for the rest of us. But hey, thanks Sennheiser for not raising the price of HD60xx-series. They are now a real bargain.
If you mean the SD mod, Sennheiser invented their Helmholz resonator befor @Sorrodje reengineered it. And other companies raised the price bar long before Sennheiser. Compared to some the HD820 is priced reasonable to be honest. Wait till the dust settles and get it with a good discount. I waited till 2016 to get my first HD800.

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,572 of 4,357
If you mean the SD mod, Sennheiser invented their Helmholz resonator befor @Sorrodje reengineered it. And other companies raised the price bar long before Sennheiser. Compared to some the HD820 is priced reasonable to be honest. Wait till the dust settles and get it with a good discount. I waited till 2016 to get my first HD800.

The 800S is already priced at $1700, that was the poster's point. The $2400 price tag is a premium for the greater practicality of closed back, nothing more. Not sure what you're comparing to, and what you find reasonable unless you disagree with the impressions of others of how the 820 compares to the 800S.

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,573 of 4,357
Sounds to me that you need to listen yourself, no escape no shortcut. You know you will. We all know we will have to do that. Listening to my gorgeous Z1R right now. Who said it has no stage no imaging? That couldn't be more wrong.
Hard to do unless you buy it.

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,575 of 4,357
Hard to do unless you buy it.

Be careful about buying directly from Sennheiser. I'm currently getting push-back on potentially returning an 800 S I bought to try and if I like to keep. I'm hoping it's just a matter of a representative not doing their job well as I appear to be more on top of their return policy than this rep that literally told me they don't know why I would want to return something I just bought, but I'm getting concerned. There's no reason to put up with this if you live in the US as the norm is a satisfaction-based return policy. Perhaps it's just a bad rep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back