Sennheiser HD820
May 6, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,247 of 4,421
May 17, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,248 of 4,421
Some company did that like Beyerdynamic T1 balance edition. For my opinion,HD800 comes with pretty good stock cable.
Yuck, I'll take a Mogami cable I could make over the HD800 SPC cable any day. Even better is DHC "Peptide" OCC copper litz wire, or Moon Audio Black Dragon if I'm feeling lazy.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #1,249 of 4,421
The Sennheiser Germany page no longer takes preorders. It say purchase now instead.

May 27, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,251 of 4,421
I decided to wait until the dust settles and give it a try in my local Sennheiser dealership.

May 29, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,253 of 4,421
Demoed the HD820 at Canjam in Munich.

Comfort, ergonomy all that was great - well basically very similar to the HD800/s apart from the pads.

I was surprised that the concave glas element actually goes INSIDE. On the pictures it always kind of looked as if the glas bows towards the outside. Very cool.

Sound wise as far as I can tell/judge (under not optimal conditions) doesn't top the HD800/s and the noice blocking ability is pretty average for a sealed headphone.

Don't really see a point of buying these over a HD800/s (apart from the cool design) - plus: the price is a joke - but we've covered that one before :)

May 29, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #1,254 of 4,421
Sound wise as far as I can tell/judge (under not optimal conditions) doesn't top the HD800/s and the noice blocking ability is pretty average for a sealed headphone.

:)

If a potential buyer believes that the Senn 800S is the best sound that Senn has to offer, and you can afford to pay a lot more for a sealed version, then, if it will make you happy to do it, then buy it.
If you don't like it, then you will take a massive beating trying to recoup your purchased price, as you will lose, i estimate, at least $600 to sell it.
So if ALL THAT is something you can deal with, then buy it.
Maybe you'll love it, and if not, you know what it is going to cost you in the end, to find out.

May 29, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,255 of 4,421
Demoed the HD820 at Canjam in Munich.

Comfort, ergonomy all that was great - well basically very similar to the HD800/s apart from the pads.

I was surprised that the concave glas element actually goes INSIDE. On the pictures it always kind of looked as if the glas bows towards the outside. Very cool.

Don't really see a point of buying these over a HD800/s (apart from the cool design) - plus: the price is a joke - but we've covered that one before :)
Can Jam Munich? You mean the High End show probably.

May 29, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #1,257 of 4,421
May 29, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,258 of 4,421
Still hoping that HD820 will be an overall better headphone then HD800S.

Sorry to say but according to what I heard myself and the opinions of other people on the show I'd say you'd likely be disappointed if that's what you assume ...

May 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,259 of 4,421
Sounds muffled and doesn't image as well, plus it doesn't muffle outside noise very well.

May 30, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #1,260 of 4,421
Sounds muffled and doesn't image as well, plus it doesn't muffle outside noise very well.
I respectfully disagree. Even with the smoother high end, the HD800s is still a bright headphone, and lacks sub bass extension and quantity. The HD820 is even smoother up top and its extension into the bass is superior. I'm also treble sensitive and it had about the most amount of treble I can handle, and was on par with other clear but not harsh cans I'm a fan of. That usually happens, you can't make cans for everyone. A treble head or one just less sensitive to highs who finds even flat bass too much will never like these more than the HD820. Those preferring the Harman Curve (inverse Fletcher Munson curve) who want 30 hz to be as audible as 80 hz, which requires it be higher, since we are less sensitive to 30 hz than 80 hz, and midrange frequencies must be a bit lower than those since we're more sensitive to that. Treble should rise again, after the high mids, just a bit. This is how our ears start out. People lose hearing as they age. The most common signs is finding neutral Harman Curves to be "boomy", and wanting more treble. It makes sense that the HD820 don't have the same sonic curve found in the HD800s. It's hard to imagine someone paying twice as much as cans they already have (the HD800s) just to get a version identical in every way just closed (if that was even possible). Roughly half of the folks I've heard talk about the HD800s want more bass, and would be okay with slightly smoother treble. The other half don't want that touched. They could never please both parties at the same time, unless they make another flagship with adjustable bass and treble filters you can put inside of the cups. Don't expect that to happen however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back