Sennheiser HD820
May 31, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,276 of 4,370

Now Sennheiser holds a special place in my heart. So for me it's hard to bash a new product of there's but here I go. So I was able to listen to the hd820 today and I have to say that I'm really bummed out. I honestly didn't like them at all. They sounded muffled and compared to the HD800S I would say definitely the HD800S is the better buy. More detail, more cripsness. I didn't get a wow factor from the hd820 as I did with the hd800s honestly it really made me want the hd800S more after spending time with both. I really wanted to like these but they just didn't offer a good bass response, and yes being a closed headphone did hurt it a lot. Now I learned so much from this experience, first and foremost there are a ton of people on the hype train here saying these sound better then the hd800S but if this headphone is trying to be a closed back version of a hd800S then how on earth is this supposed to be better then that headphone to begin with? I am questioning now if people that leave comments on these really heard them at all to begin with. Honestly I prefer the sony mdrz1r. (so if you're someone who hates those headphones steer clear from my views) I had my Walkman with me the wm1A and they did a okay job powering them. I then used sennheisers hd820amp and it again just didn't wow me. If I'm being honest here spend less and get the hd800S I feel like the hd820 would be a great $1000 headphone but to me the hd800s wins. I walked in thinking I will pre order these but instead I purchased the HD800S. I will say this because I don't wanna leave on negative terms. The build quality was amazing on the hd820, they also looked and felt incredible. And they didn't leak as much to my surprise compairing them to my z1r. All in all in the end to me the HD800S wasn't meant to be closed up and contained, it was meant to be opened and set free. I spent about 2 hours with the setup and I hope this helps anyone that was interested in these.

I actually own both MDR Z1R and the HD 800 Super Dupont modded and was considering getting these because the MDR Z1R's passive noise cancellation and sound leakage is more like a semi-open headphone and I would love to have a version of the HD800S with excellent noise cancellation and low sound leakage for office and travel use, even if they're not worth the asking price or as good as its predecessors. Would you recommend them for that purpose?

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,277 of 4,370
I don't think anyone said they are better. It's just a matter of preference. The HD800S is superior in ways a closed headphone can never quite reach of course. It's just that these had better bass response (to my ears) than the HD800S, and being treble sensitive, the HD800S (and the modded HD800 models designed to tame the treble) were still a bit too bright for my taste. It probably would disappoint anyone thinking they'd get a purely closed HD800S or get at least as much treble. I didn't find them dull at all, they were as bright as I would tolerate headphones based on my preferences. Of course, like your model, we were listening to pre-final production versions (as far as I know). It's possible the one I heard had more high end response on that.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,278 of 4,370
I don't think anyone said they are better. It's just a matter of preference. The HD800S is superior in ways a closed headphone can never quite reach of course. It's just that these had better bass response (to my ears) than the HD800S, and being treble sensitive, the HD800S (and the modded HD800 models designed to tame the treble) were still a bit too bright for my taste. It probably would disappoint anyone thinking they'd get a purely closed HD800S or get at least as much treble. I didn't find them dull at all, they were as bright as I would tolerate headphones based on my preferences. Of course, like your model, we were listening to pre-final production versions (as far as I know). It's possible the one I heard had more high end response on that.

All I’ve ever wanted was an 800S with slightly less treble and more sub bass. Everything else about the 800S is pretty much perfect. So this sounds good to me. I don’t need closed back. Hell, I’d settle for an 800S V2 with those slight changes.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,279 of 4,370
I don't think anyone said they are better. It's just a matter of preference.
-
Is it really just a matter of preference?
Really?
A previous post here, stated that the designer of the 820 described it as not being on the same level of audiophile quality, as regarding the 800 series.
Yet is cost a whole lot more money
So, that math makes no sense, about the time you reach into your wallet and start adding it up.
Now if the designer had said that the 820 is equal to the 800 series, in Audiophile quality, then i'd add it to my "to do" list.
But, the idea of paying $1000 more, for a (closed) downgrade in audiophile quality, according to the designer..... is for me, a pass.
I personally like the idea of getting more from my money, and not less.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,280 of 4,370
-
Is it really just a matter of preference?
Really?
A previous post here, stated that the designer of the 820 described it as not being on the same level of audiophile quality, as regarding the 800 series.
Yet is cost a whole lot more money
So, that math makes no sense, about the time you reach into your wallet and start adding it up.
Now if the designer had said that the 820 is equal to the 800 series, in Audiophile quality, then i'd add it to my "to do" list.
But, the idea of paying $1000 more, for a (closed) downgrade in audiophile quality, according to the designer..... is for me, a pass.
I personally like the idea of getting more from my money, and not less.
I think Axel Grell is still convinced that open headphones are the way to go to audiophile bliss, hence the Orpheus2 is again a very open design. But many people including me are forced to use closed headphones for different reasons at times or even permanently. So he finally gave in and gave the order to create the best closed dynamic headphone possible. It will be that, but it is still a closed headphone.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #1,281 of 4,370
I think Axel Grell is still convinced that open headphones are the way to go to audiophile bliss, hence the Orpheus2 is again a very open design. But many people including me are forced to use closed headphones for different reasons at times or even permanently. So he finally gave in and gave the order to create the best closed dynamic headphone possible. It will be that, but it is still a closed headphone.

Yes i appreciate that it probably is a fine fine headphone.
But to denigrate this product, by comparing it to another one that costs much less, by stating that the new product is not really "audiophile".
This is a remarkable thing to say about a product that is barely released, when you realize that the only market , the only buyers for this set of headphones, are the "audiophile" people with money.
So, he has, the designer has, now told the market for his headphone...> "this one is not for you"<....so, go ahead now and pay that extra $1000 for it.
Hummmmmm., can you see "common sense" scratching her head then performing a "face palm"??
And now that this 820 castrating information is "out there" in print, online, ..... well, if its not the kiss of death, its certainly the hug of destruction.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,282 of 4,370

Exactly. It is what it is.

I agree though price-wise it most certainly doesn't accurately represent its performance in comparison to its much cheaper predecessors. But it is what is. I'll probably end up getting one even it is under-performing comparing to its cheaper predecessors, as well as far more expensive, if it can provide great passive noise cancellation and noise isolation.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,283 of 4,370
All I’ve ever wanted was an 800S with slightly less treble and more sub bass. Everything else about the 800S is pretty much perfect. So this sounds good to me. I don’t need closed back. Hell, I’d settle for an 800S V2 with those slight changes.

All you need then is a Schiit Loki four band analog equalizer. Turn the 20 Hz knob to 3 PM and the 8 kHz knob to 11 AM. Leave the middle two knobs centered at the detent. Works great for my HD800S the Loki at $149 is the bargain of the year in my opinion.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #1,284 of 4,370
Sennheiser should have made a Baby Orpheus II and could have easily charged 3k,5k, heck even a 10k system with amp.

If they see head-fi'ers cry out with disappointment at this hd820, then maybe there will be a "special sale"

But to pay more for less, is well, not wise IMO.

And to those who say a closed can cannot beat an open. Well I think there is one that beats 800S, by the magic in Japan.

But if people will pay then Sennheiser will continue to milk off their brand name power

giphy.gif

I have a feeling they are doing this right now. :D

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,287 of 4,370
Is June 15 still the shipping date for the pre-orders?

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #1,289 of 4,370
I am looking forward to seeing who praises these and who hates them. I bet there will be a ton of masking in terms of describing disapointment. I seriously don't take any of the people seriously anymore that said these sound like hd800S because they don't. Now I know why some videos of people listening to these didn't really comment on these much if they liked them or not. I was so shocked by how much I thought I would love these and turned out utterly just disliking them.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,290 of 4,370
I am looking forward to seeing who praises these and who hates them. I bet there will be a ton of masking in terms of describing disapointment. I seriously don't take any of the people seriously anymore that said these sound like hd800S because they don't. Now I know why some videos of people listening to these didn't really comment on these much if they liked them or not. I was so shocked by how much I thought I would love these and turned out utterly just disliking them.

Ya know, everyone hears differently. Not everyone has to share your opinion on these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back