Sennheiser HD820
Jun 2, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,291 of 4,356
I am looking forward to seeing who praises these and who hates them. I bet there will be a ton of masking in terms of describing disapointment. I seriously don't take any of the people seriously anymore that said these sound like hd800S because they don't. Now I know why some videos of people listening to these didn't really comment on these much if they liked them or not. I was so shocked by how much I thought I would love these and turned out utterly just disliking them.
I don't take people seriously who worry about what others will think of a particular headphone.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,292 of 4,356
So far, yes. But you may face the decline, if you order it now.
Well...if everyone is 'right' about the sound, there will be a lot of open box returns to choose from.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,294 of 4,356
Has Sennheiser ever really made a bad 'flagship'-type headphone? I don't think so. We may not all agree on the sound sig but they are all well made and designed.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,296 of 4,356
Yet you read opinions and watch reviews, then claim you don't care what people think. Gotcha.
I don't stay up late at night fretting about those opinions.

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,297 of 4,356
I think it will be really exciting when these come up and we start hearing impression and reviews. I have a feeling that if they are not clearly better than the Ether C Flows, LCD-XC, ZMF Eikon, Sony Z1R or even something like Aeon Flow Closed, then it will be hard to justify the price. The ZIR is a perfect example, I am sure some people are paying the full MSRP but I bought mine for less than 1,500 USD. I think there is market for high end closed headphones but not a lot of choices out there. I love my ZIR, but lot of people find them too bassy (I love it) , others find the Ether C on the analytical side. Hard too argue right now if the 820 are worth the price.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,299 of 4,356
Yes i appreciate that it probably is a fine fine headphone.
But to denigrate this product, by comparing it to another one that costs much less, by stating that the new product is not really "audiophile".
This is a remarkable thing to say about a product that is barely released, when you realize that the only market , the only buyers for this set of headphones, are the "audiophile" people with money.
So, he has, the designer has, now told the market for his headphone...> "this one is not for you"<....so, go ahead now and pay that extra $1000 for it.
Hummmmmm., can you see "common sense" scratching her head then performing a "face palm"??
And now that this 820 castrating information is "out there" in print, online, ..... well, if its not the kiss of death, its certainly the hug of destruction.
I don't write this headpfone off at all, I want to listen to it as soon as possible. Open arms instead of hug of destruction here. I own the Z1R and I listen to Hip Hop on the HD800 without any pain...

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #1,300 of 4,356
I don't write this headpfone off at all, I want to listen to it as soon as possible. .

And why not.
Just remember tho, that if you form a headphone company, and create a $2500 headphone.........try not to compare it to your $1500 headphone, by saying that the $2500 is not as good.
Because if you do that, as was said about the HD820 vs the HD800, then potential buyers of the HD820 are not going to buy the $2500 headphone, tho there will be the occasional one that does not care if the designer said its not an "audiophile" headphone.
There are always plenty of people in this world that have too much money and just want something new all the time.........and nothing wrong with that.
But as a general rule, if you have a $1500 product, and a $2500 product, and you tell your "audiophile" market that the $1500 is the best product, then you've just eliminated most of your sales for the more expensive product, IF this self inflicted review goes "viral".
As long as that does not happen, as long as most of the world does not see this self destructive review then, all will probably work out ok.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,301 of 4,356
It does better than any closed can I've heard, at taming resonance and peaks many have, even at higher prices. It cost a lot for the advanced tech they put into this. I don't see it as a bad thing. It didn't exist before, now it exists. People have taken it upon themselves to be offended that it didn't sound like they wanted it to, when before this we had no idea they'd developed closed cans at this level. The Mr Speakers Aether Flow Open is remarkable, so clear yet smooth. The closed version is less warm and has a peak that bothered me and many others. It is really hard to get closed cans to sound open but this is a giant step and I can see refinements to this set (an HD820s maybe) and that closed tech finally getting into the HD6-- series also.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,302 of 4,356
It does better than any closed can I've heard, at taming resonance and peaks many have, even at higher prices. It cost a lot for the advanced tech they put into this. I don't see it as a bad thing. It didn't exist before, now it exists. People have taken it upon themselves to be offended that it didn't sound like they wanted it to, when before this we had no idea they'd developed closed cans at this level. The Mr Speakers Aether Flow Open is remarkable, so clear yet smooth. The closed version is less warm and has a peak that bothered me and many others. It is really hard to get closed cans to sound open but this is a giant step and I can see refinements to this set (an HD820s maybe) and that closed tech finally getting into the HD6-- series also.
-
Im sure its a great set of headphones.
But the designer said that its not as good as the HD800S.
So, "not as good", "not a true audiophile headphone", is only $1000 USD = MORE.
Is this not something you should consider?
That the DESIGNER of the 820, said its not an "audiophile" headphone.
You dont think this matters, and instead you feel we should just pay the $1000, because you feel its better then the $800 Aeon C?

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,303 of 4,356
And why not.
Just remember tho, that if you form a headphone company, and create a $2500 headphone.........try not to compare it to your $1500 headphone, by saying that the $2500 is not as good.
Because if you do that, as was said about the HD820 vs the HD800, then potential buyers of the HD820 are not going to buy the $2500 headphone, tho there will be the occasional one that does not care if the designer said its not an "audiophile" headphone.
There are always plenty of people in this world that have too much money and just want something new all the time.........and nothing wrong with that.
But as a general rule, if you have a $1500 product, and a $2500 product, and you tell your "audiophile" market that the $1500 is the best product, then you've just eliminated most of your sales for the more expensive product, IF this self inflicted review goes "viral".
As long as that does not happen, as long as most of the world does not see this self destructive review then, all will probably work out ok.
First of all this is HeadFi and still not the world. Ultrasone as an example has only been dissed by most reviewers and is still selling headphones, same goes for Grado and other companies.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,304 of 4,356
First of all this is HeadFi and still not the world.

Its the DESIGNER of the SENN HD820, who is the person who criticized his OWN Headphone
I didnt write it.
A "reviewer" didnt write it.....BUT THE SENNHEISER HD820 DESIGNER, is the person who said the HD820, "is not audiophile quality"., which means he , THE DESIGNER of the HD820, rates the quality of the sound of the $2500 USD HD820, as lower in quality then the $1500 USD HD800.

And He didn't say it here on the forum., but rather he wrote this to the general public of the world, and a Headfi'er quoted him HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 5, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,305 of 4,356
Its the DESIGNER of the SENN HD820, who is the person who criticized his OWN Headphone
I didnt write it.
A "reviewer" didnt write it.....BUT THE SENNHEISER HD820 DESIGNER, is the person who said the HD820, "is not audiophile quality"., which means he , THE DESIGNER of the HD820, rates the quality of the sound of the $2500 USD HD820, as lower in quality then the $1500 USD HD800.

And He didn't say it here on the forum., but rather he wrote this to the general public of the world, and a Headfi'er quoted him HERE.
Maybe I miss some of his interviews. The one I read is from the CANJAM Singapore. I believe in that interview Axel Grell is still considering the HD 820 as an audiophile headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back