Sennheiser HD820
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #738 of 4,357
Want to know for yourself how the HD 820 sounds?

For those able to attend CanJam NYC, we will have an HD 820 on hand among other pieces from our audiophile lineup to try out! Look for me, Everett (EvShrug), and my colleagues Wally, Charles, and Ricky at the Sennheiser booth. We’re looking forward to you guys getting some ears-on time with this as much as you are!

CanJam HYYYYYYYYYPE!

Will this sucker be in Canjam NYC for a test listen?

Yep.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #739 of 4,357
Correct! I'm curious how the folks at Sennheiser worked on this with the HD820 in this regard?
There should be some interesting notes to take from Axel’s keynote on just that process!

From Ethan’s CanJam NYC schedule post:

Sunday, February 18
2pm-3pm Developing And Voicing The Sennheiser HD 820, A New Closed-Back Flagship Headphone
Closed-back, reference-class flagship headphones are not easy to come by. When Sennheiser decided to develop one, they innovated new technologies, including concave glass reflectors, acoustic absorbers, and more, with the goal of crafting the most transparent-sounding closed headphones in the world. Axel Grell (the man behind so many legendary Sennheiser headphones) discusses the development and acoustics of the new Sennheiser HD 820.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #740 of 4,357
On the contrary, I haven't dismissed it due to that article, I really don't even want to address that as it's been 100 pages on that in the Z1R thread with nothing but circular arguing. Actually, it seems like the Z1R has much of what I'm looking for, but the "softness" that many speak of on the low end is really something I'd like to avoid.

The Z1R is a very peculiar offering. It's not for everyone but it really excels at certain aspects and yet, could be more refined in others. I've learned how to get the most out of it, but it's not a model that will blow your mind with every type of music on the first listen. Globally, first impressions were not flawless, except from professional reviewers, who mostly loved it (excluding Tyll here as his review was a curious outlier). User/amateur reviews varied. Still, even the R10 and Qualias got criticism from some users twenty years ago, and we know how that turned out..

I'm not sure if it makes sense to compare the Z1R to the 820, as they will certainly have a very different signature. Maybe I'll prefer one, maybe there's room for both. Most likely they will complement each other.

The only area I'm almost certain the 820 cannot match the Z1R is build quality/materials/comfort. In fact, I guarantee it won't, and haven't even held the 820 yet.

But, going back to sound, yup, definitely have to listen and compare, because inevitably they are very different, but still two top quality closed headphones in the same price band. Also, the comparison 800/800S-820 is perhaps more relevant to me.Right now, the Z1R+unmodded HD800 are my daily workhorses. If I can upgrade the 800 to something with the same tuning/air/separation/positioning but a bit more meat, more comfort and proper isolation, it would be the perfect duo for these ears.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #742 of 4,357
I just hope they become available early June. That would only be four more months.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #743 of 4,357
Not really just an opinion.

Here Tyll agrees with Paul Barton on the issues with measurements from his rig and a lack of a bend in his dummy's ear canal:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf2017-people-i-love-paul-barton

(Watch the video)

And Jude's measurements on a substantially improved measurement setup offer some outstanding results. :)

So there is some real data here and beyond "opinion".

FWIW, the Z1R are my favourite closed-back headphones to date and I'm looking forward to hearing the HD820...though I suspect the HD800S will still be preferred due to the advantages of open-backed headphones.

Great post.

I have to say, I'm with Judes measurements and others with respect to the Z1R's, and do not agree at all with Tyll's measurements or his opinion. The Z1R's are my fave headphones to date, and a sound I've been seeking out for probably 10+ years now. I personally do not get any of the sharp shrill or peaky harshness or resonance up top that Tyll describes, instead I find the sound very inoffensive and actually fairly smooth and non fatiguing, though still detailed. Almost like a warmer HD800S, with added intimacy and a lot more bass quantity and punch.

Perhaps Tyll should invest in a measuring rig that has the bend in the ear that most humans do.

On a side note, as discussed in the video, the discrepancies with opinions of treble harshness in different headphones likely come partly from differences in biology. Clearly my own ears are less susceptible to upper treble glare than many, because I also find my T1.1's pretty smooth, whilst my HD800 and HD800S both sounded ever so slightly harsher to me, but still not actually especially sibilant.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #744 of 4,357
Great post.

I have to say, I'm with Judes measurements and others with respect to the Z1R's, and do not agree at all with Tyll's measurements or his opinion. The Z1R's are my fave headphones to date, and a sound I've been seeking out for probably 10+ years now. I personally do not get any of the sharp shrill or peaky harshness or resonance up top that Tyll describes, instead I find the sound very inoffensive and actually fairly smooth and non fatiguing, though still detailed. Almost like a warmer HD800S, with added intimacy and a lot more bass quantity and punch.

Perhaps Tyll should invest in a measuring rig that has the bend in the ear that most humans do.

On a side note, as discussed in the video, the discrepancies with opinions of treble harshness in different headphones likely come partly from differences in biology. Clearly my own ears are less susceptible to upper treble glare than many, because I also find my T1.1's pretty smooth, whilst my HD800 and HD800S both sounded ever so slightly harsher to me, but still not actually especially sibilant.

Very Interesting. We must hear shh..sound very differently each other due to our own idiosyncratic physical structure.

I liked hd800s and ie800, but both of them were too sibilant and harsh. hd800s was slightly less sibilant than ie800, but still gave me too much pain. Don't get me wrong. I like clean, clear and transparent treble, and that was why I bought hd800s new twice, but eventually sold both of them. The best treble so far I heard is Clear and Aeon Open Flow. Both of them have healthy treble, but non sibilant.

I wonder how much I feel sibilance relative to others. I wish there is some research about it.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #745 of 4,357
Very Interesting. We must hear shh..sound very differently each other due to our own idiosyncratic physical structure.

I liked hd800s and ie800, but both of them were too sibilant and harsh. hd800s was slightly less sibilant than ie800, but still gave me too much pain. Don't get me wrong. I like clean, clear and transparent treble, and that was why I bought hd800s new twice, but eventually sold both of them. The best treble so far I heard is Clear and Aeon Open Flow. Both of them have healthy treble, but non sibilant.

I wonder how much I feel sibilance relative to others. I wish there is some research about it.
Maybe neuromedicin could measure people's brain activity based on exposure to certain audible frequencies.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #746 of 4,357
Thinking potential for really good digital desktop system > HD820, Hugo2, 2Go, tablet/phone with Chord app for control of SD card files. Now about that Chord app..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 9, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #747 of 4,357
Great post.

If you look at many headphones on inner fidelity, you will notice that a 10kHz peak is present in some form on most measurements and per Paul's comments, most likely due to a lack of a bend in the ear canal of the dummy head (based on his cadaver study). Just one potential reason...but I'm sure they're looking into it. :)

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #748 of 4,357
If you look at many headphones on inner fidelity, you will notice that a 10kHz peak is present in some form on most measurements and per Paul's comments, most likely due to a lack of a bend in the ear canal of the dummy head (based on his cadaver study). Just one potential reason...but I'm sure they're looking into it. :)
I always was curious why so many headphones had that peak in the particular spot. Every Beyer seemed to, yet not all of them sounded peaky in that area. So it would seem that the peak is "built in" to the headphone deliberately so it becomes more "flat" when going through a natural ear canal?

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #749 of 4,357
I always was curious why so many headphones had that peak in the particular spot. Every Beyer seemed to, yet not all of them sounded peaky in that area. So it would seem that the peak is "built in" to the headphone deliberately so it becomes more "flat" when going through a natural ear canal?

interesting, as I do notice this too. I bought a CIEM which has a warm sound and notice this peak too but not painful or fatiguing at least

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #750 of 4,357

This is a very sharp observation.:) If that peak is built in with the intention of being dampened through a natural ear canal, why should it be built in in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back