Sennheiser HD820
Jun 6, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,321 of 4,370
Well? I only learned of the two versions later, so I can’t say? Liking closed backs is a thing.........as they are viewed as technicality inferior but at the same time can offer “inferiority” which is attractive. I always thought there was lower midrange reverberations in closed backs that went well with certain music.

There’s technically 4 versions from what I gather but 2 main ones. Liking a closed-back is definitely a thing and I also won’t hesistate to say my best headphone currently is a closed-back. I know I’m in the minority but I never actually found open-backs to be as technically superior as many say. I enjoy a good closed-back just as much as a good open-back.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,322 of 4,370
Which R10 did you hear? The bass-light and bass-heavy are very different beasts. It’s a headphone one has to spend time with too. The Z1R has some very impressive bass, I like the Z1R quite a bit personally.

Honestly the R10s age and materials, plus the insane cost is why I wouldn’t bother getting one myself. It’s also risky to repair/restore. I did have the chance to borrow one for a few weeks and get to hear them occasionally so I’m happy with that.

I am curious what Sennheisers take on a high-end closed-back is myself. Good closed-backs are rare. I plan on going for a high-end closed-back in the future so I’m very curious about this headphone.
One thing is for certain, you will have no problem to get spare parts from Sennheiser globally. I have the Z7 plus Z1R, both great headphones, but in Europe I have zero source for even replacement pads, cables and not to mention drivers. That is not in Sony's focus at all.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,323 of 4,370
I would think they have one in their lab to A/B.

Then they should release the winner.

Who remembers #2? :p

I'm joking ofc in a way, but serious also.

Majority of headfi-ers need a new winner that can be obtained.

I honestly am waiting for a can that the owners of the mystical Japanese can will admit beat their cherished prize.

They've had since 1989.

Also its like when there is a school presentation. The person who goes last is marked harded than the first, as usually they present a few days later, and have gotten to see what was up before :D

Nothing would make me happier than to see this win. So I have something on top of bucket list that can give me relief of this quest.

This quest is pure stresssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

giphy.gif
Actually some truth in all this.....
Bern

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,324 of 4,370
Amazingly............it does seem Sennheiser IS good with parts.

You would think at some point it would have been good for Sony to make an R11? But I guess the head honcho’s were taking a different route. Also it seems you can hear the R10 sound a little in the mid 1990s Sony line. If anything the flagship technology was trickled down. But that’s what is so great about the Z1R, it’s less money in contrast and way more fun! I don’t know what the $2500 1989 R10 money would be today, but it’s way more than the $2299 the Z1R is?

It maybe holds no links to the R10? Except the alloy headband.

Edit:
$2,500.00 in 1989 had the same buying power as $5,114.61 in 2018

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,325 of 4,370
One thing is for certain, you will have no problem to get spare parts from Sennheiser globally. I have the Z7 plus Z1R, both great headphones, but in Europe I have zero source for even replacement pads, cables and not to mention drivers. That is not in Sony's focus at all.

True, that is a bit of a worry, hopefully the pads have a long lifespan. Luckily the cables aren’t a big issue as it’s easy to get alternative cables. The pads and drivers on the other hand are an entirely different story. Honestly for parts and the like, it's best to stick with Sennheiser and Beyer, I mean both still sell parts for discontinued products even. Parts seem to be a pain to get on the Sony's unless you live in Japan, the US may be okay as well.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,326 of 4,370
I'm thinking about selling my LCD-XC's for the HD820's. I prefer the sound of my Z1R's to XC's and I just picked up the LCD-X's which sound similar. I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser sound and I like the looks of the HD820's a lot. If they match or beat the bass of the HD630VB's and come close to the soundstage of the HD800's I think this HD820's will a winner in my book.

Recently sold my LCD2 rev1 as I just overall prefer the HD800. The LCD2 is equally as good or better depending on one's subjective preferences. For me, the 800 while still being stylistics, was still more realistic in timbre than the LCD2 and the dynamic bass of the 800 was very competitive to the planar bass. Soundstage sealed it for me along with comfort. Also preferred my HD540 and HD250 over the LCD2 for overall timbre.

630VB is highly underrated. It isn't really a headphone that you listen at your desk. Its more when lounging out on a deck, couch, or going for stroll that it strikes you. 630VB bass even on its lowest has more punch, just because of its tuning. Turn up the variable bass and it becomes more involving - again, perfect for on the go, or those personal listening sessions where you are just jamming out.

To me the 800 bass is more reference, and even for electronic genres is fine when listening to music over a prolonged period. The 630VB is more engaging, and I can't see the 820 ever vibrating like the 630VB does.

For the price they go for used, I really recommend the 630VB, especially if you are a toe-tapper (ie. like beat orientated music).

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,327 of 4,370
Recently sold my LCD2 rev1 as I just overall prefer the HD800. The LCD2 is equally as good or better depending on one's subjective preferences. For me, the 800 while still being stylistics, was still more realistic in timbre than the LCD2 and the dynamic bass of the 800 was very competitive to the planar bass. Soundstage sealed it for me along with comfort. Also preferred my HD540 and HD250 over the LCD2 for overall timbre.

630VB is highly underrated. It isn't really a headphone that you listen at your desk. Its more when lounging out on a deck, couch, or going for stroll that it strikes you. 630VB bass even on its lowest has more punch, just because of its tuning. Turn up the variable bass and it becomes more involving - again, perfect for on the go, or those personal listening sessions where you are just jamming out.

To me the 800 bass is more reference, and even for electronic genres is fine when listening to music over a prolonged period. The 630VB is more engaging, and I can't see the 820 ever vibrating like the 630VB does.

For the price they go for used, I really recommend the 630VB, especially if you are a toe-tapper (ie. like beat orientated music).
Completely agree that the HD630VB's are unrated headphones. They are one of Sennheisers best sounding headphones in my opinion.

With that said, I know the HD820's are going to be audiophile quality headphones but I really hope the tuning leans more towards the dynamic side of things than the reference side. We'll soon see...

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,328 of 4,370
For people who are interested: I just read some feedback by people attending trade shows in Germany and who tried the the HD820 there. The overall feedback was mixed, with some stating that the treble was a bit harsh and the bass was flowing into the midrange. The latter comment was disputed by others, but the harsh treble comment was rather prevalent. But then, no wonder since the HD820 probably will share the sound signature of the HD800 and HD800S. Overall, the rating was that the HD820 are maximal a side-grade for people wishing to have closed cans, and definitely not an upgrade of the HD800S.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #1,331 of 4,370
For people who are interested: I just read some feedback by people attending trade shows in Germany and who tried the the HD820 there. The overall feedback was mixed, with some stating that the treble was a bit harsh and the bass was flowing into the midrange. The latter comment was disputed by others, but the harsh treble comment was rather prevalent. But then, no wonder since the HD820 probably will share the sound signature of the HD800 and HD800S. Overall, the rating was that the HD820 are maximal a side-grade for people wishing to have closed cans, and definitely not an upgrade of the HD800S.
I hope they fix the treble before shipping begins :astonished::smirk:

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,332 of 4,370
By now we all should expect that there will be mixed reviews. Just like the open version, some love them and some hate them. I will take comments with a grain of salt unless I know the taste of the person commenting or if they are comparing to other phones. For example if an 800 fan tells me that the 820 has too much bass then count me in. At the same time if that same person tells me the treble is perfect then count me out. LOL I doubt there’s is going to be universal praise for the headphone. Honestly can’t wait to read all the reviews, I kind of find it fun and fascinating. I would love to hear direct comparisons with Ether C or Z1r.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #1,334 of 4,370
If there is in fact a problem with the treble (a la the HD8000), I shall not offer $199 for one. If the treble is in fact correct, I shall purchase a new one. If the bass is bloated as reported, I shall return it within 30 days. It eventually sinks in that $2300 is a lot of money and one should expect no serious problems with the frequency response. Sennheiser and AKG have a "German" treble (slightly cool) and it may be an acquired taste for many.

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,335 of 4,370
The one I tested has as much treble as I can comfortably tolerate, any more would be HD800S territory which I can put up with a short time but would reach for EQ long term. That said, it seemed to be very balanced, peak free, and very accurate treble. The mids were just perfect from low to high. The mid bass had no bloat and nice speed. The sub bass wasn't hyped, but wasn't rolled off either. The "harsh treble" stuff has me worried in response the treble-deaf or hard core non "S" HD800 fans, they caved and boosted the treble since I heard it at CanJam.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back