Sennheiser HD820
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,351 of 4,356
Just received my on Monday. Haven't had too much time to listen to it yet. My first impression is it really sounds like a open-back headphone, the sound stage is amazing compare to other closed back headphones.
Nice. Keep us posted. Didn't realize they'd shipped. Cool.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,352 of 4,356
Just received my on Monday. Haven't had too much time to listen to it yet. My first impression is it really sounds like a open-back headphone, the sound stage is amazing compare to other closed back headphones.
Thanks for this first impression. Nice to know that they are out in the wild now. Will check my local Sennheuser dealer out.

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #1,353 of 4,356
I listened to this headphone. Seems they made it more laid back sounding and boosted the low-end a bit. I also didn't detect any huge peaks, which is good. I removed the high-end cables from the Utopia and put back the stock cables on it (the stock cables of the Utopia is holding it back to be honest, but it is unfair if I make a comparison with 3rd party high-end cables), and the HD 820 had a wider soundstage quite surprisingly.

Now, there are some bad things, but I will need to do more testing before commenting on it.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,356 of 4,356
I love a good closed back and am interested in these as I have the 800’s and really like them. I have the Ether-C’s and AKG K872’s also and find myself listening to the 872’s a bit more as they sound great out of anything. Has anyone compared either to the 820’s?

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,357 of 4,356
I love a good closed back and am interested in these as I have the 800’s and really like them. I have the Ether-C’s and AKG K872’s also and find myself listening to the 872’s a bit more as they sound great out of anything. Has anyone compared either to the 820’s?
Hi buke, I probably get mine before June 30th. If you are in home, I can bring it to you.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,359 of 4,356
+1

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,361 of 4,356
Just visited my local dealer. He will get them late July/early August only.
He heard them on the High End Show in Munich. He placed his order because he heard all of the HD800S qualities in closed form. The bass is a bit more he said. But he also had not the longest time to evaluate it.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #1,362 of 4,356
My question is - does it sound like an open headphone as all the new technology is supposed to make it do?
I've tried almost every Sennheiser headphone. This is the most open sounding closed Sennheiser. More open sounding than any closed Beyerdynamic, Audeze, MrSpeakers, Foster family (Fostex, Denon, EMU), Phillips, Bose, Beats, Audio Technica, closed headphone. Only the Sony MDR-Z1 is close to as open sounding. The Meze 99 Neo has a very 3D sound for a small cupped closed back, but the thick low mids and rolled off highs keep it behind as well. The HD820 has a more stereophonic spatial sound than their HD580, HD598, HD600, HD650, HD660, HD700. Only the HD800 and HD800s had that stereo placement height and depth, with some extra spaciousness as to be expected. Should you want the sound of the HD800s with smoother highs, better sub bass extension but no boominess and don't mind slightly less spatial airiness, these are your cans. There is something to be said about sub bass extension without added boom. They'd done that with the HD58X apparently which has slightly less lower mid, similar mid bass, but extended less rolled off subs than the HD650. I have not heard it (they're on the way), but graphs tell me they are getting good at tighter, cleaner, yet more extended lows.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,363 of 4,356
I've tried almost every Sennheiser headphone. This is the most open sounding closed Sennheiser. More open sounding than any closed Beyerdynamic, Audeze, MrSpeakers, Foster family (Fostex, Denon, EMU), Phillips, Bose, Beats, Audio Technica, closed headphone. Only the Sony MDR-Z1 is close to as open sounding. The Meze 99 Neo has a very 3D sound for a small cupped closed back, but the thick low mids and rolled off highs keep it behind as well. The HD820 has a more stereophonic spatial sound than their HD580, HD598, HD600, HD650, HD660, HD700. Only the HD800 and HD800s had that stereo placement height and depth, with some extra spaciousness as to be expected. Should you want the sound of the HD800s with smoother highs, better sub bass extension but no boominess and don't mind slightly less spatial airiness, these are your cans. There is something to be said about sub bass extension without added boom. They'd done that with the HD58X apparently, which has very slightly less lower mid, similar mid bass, but extended less rolled off subs. I've not heard that (they're on their way now) but their graphs tell me they are getting good at tighter, cleaner, yet more extended lows.
You are just right about the Z1R.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #1,364 of 4,356
I've come back again after listening to the hd820 and again the hd800S is the better headphone in EVERY aspect BUT I can say this. The hd820 is a lot more usable in terms of isolation and not being bothersome to others around me. Though I don't feel that it is a closed back hd800s, I do think that it is the closest one could get to the hd800. I don't dislike these as much when I did comparing the two originally,, i still like the z1r over these but they do isolate better, actually I think these are probably one of the best sealed closed back headphones there are in the higher end price spectrum. I do want to purchase these but again I will wait until the price drops to the hd800S level $1699.99

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,365 of 4,356
I've come back again after listening to the hd820 and again the hd800S is the better headphone in EVERY aspect BUT I can say this. The hd820 is a lot more usable in terms of isolation and not being bothersome to others around me. Though I don't feel that it is a closed back hd800s, I do think that it is the closest one could get to the hd800. I don't dislike these as much when I did comparing the two originally,, i still like the z1r over these but they do isolate better, actually I think these are probably one of the best sealed closed back headphones there are in the higher end price spectrum. I do want to purchase these but again I will wait until the price drops to the hd800S level $1699.99

-
Before you pull the trigger on the HD820, you might try the AKG K872.
Have you tried it?
I didnt ask you if you tried the reviews.
I asked you if you tried the headphone?
You should.

Another (2) you might want to try are the Yamaha MT8 and the Telefunken THP-29.
Never mind the price.
Does not matter.
Its the sound that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back