Sennheiser HD820
Jun 14, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #4,051 of 4,370
Hi SENN HD820 owners,

Need some assistance in choosing a budget dac for my HD820.

Current chain is FIIO K7+ feliks audio esspresivo+ HD820 with UPOCC plus PURE SILVER 4 core cable.

Need a warm sounding dac with good details.

Thanks in advance
I am waiting for HDVD800 (used) to arrive. If you can find a good deal, it's maybe the best option. I wouldn't even think of buying a used amp, but since Rob suggested HDVD800, I went on that route. Can't wait to try it.

Cheers!

Jun 14, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #4,052 of 4,370
I like my Sennheiser HD820 more than my new Focal Clear. The Focal sounds great with it's dreamy sound and crushing mid range but because it is a new company the sound is basically a superficial one, kinda like fairy floss.... but with the HD820 you get a proper headphone sound that is like a sci-fi industrial object of a headphone which is what a headphone is meant to be.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #4,053 of 4,370
Hi SENN HD820 owners,

Need some assistance in choosing a budget dac for my HD820..........

Thanks in advance
Don't believe a change in DAC will bring warmth......tube based amps might be a better option....what do you find missing or bothersome with your current setup?

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,054 of 4,370
I like my Sennheiser HD820 more than my new Focal Clear. The Focal sounds great with it's dreamy sound and crushing mid range but because it is a new company the sound is basically a supercial one, kinda like fairy floss.............
Interesting..I'm was just recently coming up with similar observations but in reverse with the closed back Focal Elegia and the HD660S2.
Wouldn't call it fairy floss....lol......the Focal can sound pretty good but in direct comparisons, Sennheiser do have a more natural harmonically correct presentation IMHO, this was also evident when auditioning the Stellia...
Founded in 1945 and manufacturing professional microphones and over a half century of R&D in headphone drivers we would hope so...Focal, although having been around since 1982 and highly respected in the audio community, only launched their 1st headphone in 2012, so relatively speaking a new kid on the block.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #4,055 of 4,370
Hi SENN HD820 owners,

Need some assistance in choosing a budget dac for my HD820.

Current chain is FIIO K7+ feliks audio esspresivo+ HD820 with UPOCC plus PURE SILVER 4 core cable.

Thanks in advance

Check out the SMSL C100 with its slightly warmer sounding AKM dac:

https://aoshida-audio.com/products/smsl-c100

Review on the SMSL C100:

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2023/01/smsl-c100-dac-type-c-mqa-and-bluetooth-dac.html

Also, if you want an RCA switch for the amp section of your FiiO K7 or other amp:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804793829883.html

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #4,057 of 4,370
Don't believe a change in DAC will bring warmth......tube based amps might be a better option....what do you find missing or bothersome with your current setup?
dac section in layering and details. Just bought a schiit bifrost 2 to pair it up with esspresivo tube . Waiting for delivey

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #4,058 of 4,370
I see some details and layering missing in the K7 which is i found good when paired with a friends dac - k9 pro ess.

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #4,059 of 4,370
And we are waiting on your impressions. : )
And we are waiting on your impressions. : )
I got an amp yesterday; haha, how did you know? It took a while. The seller was busy, but I was lucky. I got an amp from a man who really took care of it. Just as I think it should be taken care of. All my stuff is like new, no matter how old it is. People say only small signs of use but in perfect working condition. Signs of wear/use are signs of not being treated well for me.
Also, he packed and secured the amp better than the shop did when they sent it.

Thanks again, Rob, for the idea of getting a used amp. I buy used stuff but am very hesitant (lack of trusting people, from experience). When I saw your comment that you bought a used amp, I thought I might look for one too. That was before you mentioned to me to look for Hifishark and HDVD800.

So, the amp came in perfect condition, and when I visit Vienna, I will meet the guy; he works in the gallery, so basically, we are in the same brunch (what a coincidence).

I connected it yesterday and had short listening. I tried HD 660S2. And my first thought was...bass is so, so upfront, and there's a lot of it, but at the same time, I thought there was not enough volume as I expected. I had to push the nob at two o'clock, and it was still not loud enough, but I left it there.
I was listening to Prodigy. I always like to play something harder and faster for testing. I was slightly confused; I expected something entirely different—cleaner and tighter.
It wasn't awful, but not great. The topping combo E70+A90 was better (connected to Mac). So, a slight disappointment. That listening was on PC/Deezer.
But then, I tried with CD (Prodigy again). I left the volume nob at two, and when the song began, it was again, hmm, it still lacked volume. It was 30 sec...until the bass started...and it was so loud and strong that it blew my head off, haha...and I like to listen pretty loud. I had to lower the volume at twelve o'clock rapidly, and it was still pretty loud. The sound is just as it should be; clean, tight, open; everything is perfect for me.

So...my thoughts on HDVD800 are that it's amazing (with the right source) and looks great; blue led lights are cool. Nobs are perfectly smooth and tight. But Sennheiser HD 660S2 are amazing too. I already read on Head-fi that some folks hate these headphones, but I like them a lot. It's not the right thread, but just a short observation of mine is that they are some combination of HD 800S and HD 820. Yeah, in a smaller package but also with a smaller price tag.

HDVD800 (used) is a great buy! It's still not as good as my combo, Auris HA-2 SF/Musical Fidelity m6x DAC (both new), but it's amazing too. And when comparing the price of those two...it's a huge difference.

Mac has way better sound management than the PC that I have. What are your thoughts on streamers? Are there any budget-friendly but still good, better than Mac and PC? I didn't do any research. I don't need a streamer necessarily right now, but I might keep looking.

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #4,060 of 4,370
I got an amp yesterday; haha,
Thanks for the update....
I thought there was not enough volume as I expected.
Are you using the onboard DAC with the PC and the CD player?

What are your thoughts on streamers?
I only got into streamers in the last few years but have been happy with Cambridge Audio's CXN, I now have two. I like the connectivity and on screen display and IMHO sounds fine to my ears. : )

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #4,062 of 4,370
And my first thought was...bass is so, so upfront, and there's a lot of it, but at the same time, I thought there was not enough volume as I expected. I had to push the nob at two o'clock, and it was still not loud enough, but I left it there.
That doesn't sound right..hhhmm???...any forgotten previous EQ settings, bass boost ...etc?

When using a CD player, only connect to the amp directly. And that works like a charm.
:thumbsup:
Yup, Cambridge at this stage is a bit pricy for me.
Bluesound node 2 has gotten positive feedback.

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #4,063 of 4,370
Hmm, it's the wife's PC; I doubt she EQ anything; I will check that. Bluesound could be an option. I have Yamaha Music Cast WXC-50 for speakers, and it's great. I need a tablet or phone working as a remote, and that connection is sometimes disturbed by other devices via Bluetooth. I'd also like something with an on-screen display, so I won't have to use other devices as a remote, like a tablet or smartphone.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #4,064 of 4,370
I'd also like something with an on-screen display, so I won't have to use other devices as a remote, like a tablet or smartphone.
That's exactly what attracted me to the Cambridge CXN in the 1st place for streaming. I could do everything with Tidal on the unit itself and or with the included remote, setup playlist, search artist or albums, etc... without a CPU, phone or tablet, it was a stand alone source just like a CD player : ) .... and then the licensing changed and Cambridge and everyone else lost that function with a firmware update. I was not a happy camper. :xf_mad:
"NB: Please be aware that once updated your device will no longer support browsing TIDAL from the front panel Library of the device or from the Cambridge Connect app.
This is because accessing Tidal via the front panel and through the Cambridge Connect app uses an older method of log-in that Tidal is phasing out for security reasons. In order to be able to make use of the functionality of Tidal connect we have therefore had to remove access via these methods at Tidal's request. The more modern log-in method in the StreamMagic app is much more secure."

Now I have to use the %^&*##@$ App on my phone or tablet. : (

Guess I'm we really am are old school. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back