Sennheiser HD820
Jun 11, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #4,036 of 4,421
Sorry maybe my last comment was not clear, but I'm wondering if I'm not overshooting attempting to get the HD800 or 820; if they are not drivable by the dap I have

any input you could share will lead me
Can't answer for pbui44 but at 300 Ohm the HD800/820 would appreciate a rather hefty amp to shine otherwise IMHO their full potential is not fully acheived, they may sound fine just not optimized, probably most noticeable in the bass department.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #4,038 of 4,421
Why don't you people remove that red sticker from the glass? I didn't even receive mine with that sticker.
Please untape it... :)

Cheers!
Hey, fidgeraldo!
I chose to keep that sticker in case they weren’t for me and i had to return them. It has been peeled off since those pictures were taken and since i had some issues with my PC’s USB ports, i couldn’t transfer new photos onto it so i decided to upload the older ones.

P.S. Yea, it’s ugly as sin, i agree

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #4,039 of 4,421
Why don't you people remove that red sticker from the glass? I didn't even receive mine with that sticker.
Please untape it... :)

Cheers!
I thought it was a sticker too but it is actually a thin plastic disc that you can put on or off....
Also a good deterrent to put back on when one has guests.
D511B2E4-371D-4155-8FE8-88135E10E41D.jpeg

I chose to keep that sticker in case they weren’t for me and i had to return them.
Ditto.... or as I mentioned previously.... one likes racing stripes . : )

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #4,041 of 4,421
Sorry maybe my last comment was not clear, but I'm wondering if I'm not overshooting attempting to get the HD800 or 820; if they are not drivable by the dap I have

any input you could share will lead me

So while the high gain on your JP ZX-707 should make the HD820 more than loud enough (this is specifically a HD820 thread, after all), I still suspect that you are going to use a lot of the EQ features that Sony provides. From the Sony NW-A55 and HD58X pairing in this review:

https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/product-reviews/sony-walkman-a55-review/#

You see, what this ClearAudiio+ effect does is to widen the stereo image and apply what seemed to be a w-shaped equalisation curve.
Now, when I say that my music collection sounded great for the most part, the only area where I found this effect to interfere too much is when listening to a binaural album. Afterall, the entire point of a binaural recording is to give headphone users the most realistic stereo image, so by adding another layer of processing just messes around with it too much. But, for the rest of my music, this effect was damn near-perfect. It was almost perfect because I felt that it increased the bass just a little bit too much, but unfortunately you cannot edit this effect manually. This got me thinking though if I could perhaps recreate it with the other effects that are available in the settings. Maybe the ClearAudio+ was just somewhat of a preset. Thankfully, I think I figured it out.

With the help of a few frequency response measurements I eventually got an exact match of the ClearAudio+ effect when I use the Studio setting for the VPT (Surround) effect, enabled the DC Phase Linearizer, and setup a custom equalization curve of +6 at 60Hz, +3 at 1kHz, -3 at 6.3kHz, and another +6 at 16kHz.
This was a big step because now I could tweak the EQ curve to better suit my HD58X whilst still enjoying the bigger perceived stereo image provided by the VPT (Surround) setting.

You will have to figure this out yourself, but the HD820 will respond to EQ very accurately to how you adjust specific things. The HD820 is closed-back, so it will also show you even more of what you are adjusting, so you may need to multi-task on a multitude of EQ features to go along with EQ band adjustments.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #4,044 of 4,421
Ditto.... or as I mentioned previously.... one likes racing stripes . : )
Knowing that that is a plastic disc, I envy you for having one. I am serious about saying I would tape Batman sign over that red warning something, but not directly on the glass. How can I get one...perhaps I should sue Sennheiser for not taping that on my pair of HD 820 :)

Cheers!

P.S. It's off-topic...but I am thrilled with the new speaker amp combo (B&W 706 S2 + Denon PMA 1700NE)...I have the same excitement listening to it, just like with Sennheisers :)

Jun 14, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #4,048 of 4,421
Can't answer for pbui44 but at 300 Ohm the HD800/820 would appreciate a rather hefty amp to shine otherwise IMHO their full potential is not fully acheived, they may sound fine just not optimized, probably most noticeable in the bass department.
I've used the 800(S) for years and agree a good, powerful amp makes an appreciable difference - and not just with lower frequencies. I'm persuaded amps with high voltage output can lend a more refined quality to the top-end too. That's been my experience, for example, with the SPL Phonitor xe.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #4,049 of 4,421
Hi SENN HD820 owners,

Need some assistance in choosing a budget dac for my HD820.

Current chain is FIIO K7+ feliks audio esspresivo+ HD820 with UPOCC plus PURE SILVER 4 core cable.

Need a warm sounding dac with good details.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back