Sennheiser HD820
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #3,016 of 4,360
I seem to recall Sennheiser suggesting rubber banding the cups together when not using to get a tighter fix. For me with a small head, I've not had fit issues other than the looseness. That hasn't resulted in sound change though even when I actively move them.

I saw that somewhere but I can't imagine what part of the headphones that would cause to bend permanently. Anything bent would cause issues.
The headband is a metal arc that rides in a plastic track on each side that has the same shape as the metal. If you bend the metal, it can no longer slide easily into the plastic tracks and may deform them over time. If you bend or deform the plastic tracks, same issue except now the vertical height of the tracks increases. The lack of vertical clearance in the tracks is what presses the metal headband which has notches down against ball detents which are responsible for the adjustment clicks. With extra clearance, the band would deflect away from the ball detents and it would no longer click or get held in place as well. Once any part of the headband breaks, the whole headband needs to be replaced including the serial number engraving. There is no way to remove the metal band without destroying the tracks on both sides. The ends of the plastic tracks are sealed.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #3,017 of 4,360
I seem to recall Sennheiser suggesting rubber banding the cups together when not using to get a tighter fix. For me with a small head, I've not had fit issues other than the looseness. That hasn't resulted in sound change though even when I actively move them.

I call B.S. on that approach unless they include a coupon for free rubberbands along with the XLR cable :D

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #3,019 of 4,360
Must be in the minority here but I quite enjoy the HD820. At first they sounded off but after a while I got used to the tuning and a good seal is imperative otherwise you might as well forget about it.
They sound very good out of the HDV820 and even better out of the Hifiman EF6.
In comparison to the HD800(S) they are intimate and have a deeper holographic layering/imaging together with more body/bass to the music. Clarity and resolution is still staggering but not as obvious because the tuning in tonality is a notch down compared to HD800S.
Once you have figured out a proper seal and have powerful amplification, this headphone will give nothing but enjoyment.
Well, I’m part of that minority too. I thoroughly enjoy HD820, whether on HDV820 or other powerful desktop amps. My go to headphone at home, before ZMF Eikon, Focal Elegia and Campfire Cascade.

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #3,020 of 4,360
I guess I am lucky. I got all 3 cables with my HD820's before Sennheiser decided to not include the 4-Pin XLR in the box.
Also got 3 cables with HD820. My suspicion of the 2 cable + voucher approach is that people who buy the HD820 most likely have HD800/S, together with the XLR cable that came with HD800S. Some people might have bought a XLR cable for their HD800. If someone has XLR cables for both HD800 and HD800S, will they need another XLR cable for HD820? For some people, the answer is No. I use one XLR cable (I have 4 XLR cables) for HD800, HD800S and HD820, as I just swap out the headphone on the same cable, unless I’m listening to both in a comparative test. I don’t see anyone with a Nordost Heimdall2 XLR cable for their HD800 ordering another Heimdall2 XLR cable for their HD820..... Will I have missed the HD820 XLR cable if it was not included? No, with a caveat - if I didn’t have HD800 or HD800S, then I would want one, or if the HD820 package was advertised as including XLR cable, then I would definitely want one.

Another point relates to headphone amps. Of my powerful headphone amps, not one has 2 XLR headphone outputs, which eliminates the possibility of using both HD800/S and HD820 using XLR cables on the same amp at the same time. If I’m using 2 amps at the same time, then definitely, 2 XLR cables will be required.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #3,023 of 4,360
Me neither, I rather pick MDR Z1R if I had to pick either of them. However, in reality I pick HD800S
One constant about any headphone, is that different people will have differing opinions of it, irrespective of price or actual/perceived ability or value. That is what makes this hobby so much fun and informative. I enjoy my HD820. I acknowledge your differing view of the HD820, but that does not change my enjoyment of it.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #3,024 of 4,360
C-c-c-combo breaker!

The HD820 and HD800S are more similar than not. They even have the same driver.
When going back and forth between the two I'd sometimes confuse them for each other.
The differences are mainly decreased maximum soundstage width, very slightly enclosed sound, and for tonality deeper bass with the HD820 but slightly less weight to voices.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #3,025 of 4,360
For me the HD820 is clearly a shade darker in it's presentation and instruments and voices are more palpable in a holographic sense.

May 4, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #3,026 of 4,360
I purchased a pair of these used (but in really good condition) a few weeks ago, and have been working on a review for them, which hopefully I will post here soon. I usually just throw some words together and hope everyone understands what I am saying, but these were a tough pair of headphones for me to review, and I had to do a lot of borrowing of equipment from 2 good friends of mine, so it is taking me awhile.

I will say that they are fantastic, and while not the best at any one thing, they are extremely good at a lot, and I have found very few weaknesses. The more I listen to them, the more I appreciate them.

Anyways, hopefully the next day I get off work I can finish it up.

May 4, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #3,027 of 4,360
I really like the look of HD820.... but don't you guys think its glasses can be cracked?
Its glasses are made out of gorilla glass. Cellphones using gorilla glass get cracked all the time.
If HD820's glasses get cracked, what would you guys do?

May 4, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #3,029 of 4,360
I really like the look of HD820.... but don't you guys think its glasses can be cracked?
Its glasses are made out of gorilla glass. Cellphones using gorilla glass get cracked all the time.
If HD820's glasses get cracked, what would you guys do?

I worry about this, am clumsy sometimes (for instance, have had my headphone jack hit the glass before). Gorilla glass 3 is very resistant, but yeah, ultimately glass is glass. What I like is how recessed the glass is from the outer surface of the earcups. Like, you could lay it on a surface and not worry, because it'll be the plastic borders that contacts the surface. This is how it's different from glass on a phone, which is more exposed and vulnerable.

May 4, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #3,030 of 4,360
Ok but guys seriously... how often do you drop headphones? I never did and I'm not planning to start.

I would be more worried about dropping a pair of LCDs or ZMFs or other big woodies. The fact the 820 is light will probably help it survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back