Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 18, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #2,761 of 6,504
Since I have two pairs HD800 - they are so different  !!!!  in sound  as
 is felt .   and  all who heard them. 
- I usually begins to listen with old 159XX. then   moves to  the new 291XX which has a lot of powerful bass at once and open   sound .
The sound waves    are more comfortable in my ear with the old HD800  159xx- then  with new headphones
They have the same output  level  from  BCL / P-1U.both.

The most neutral FLAT sound is the old hd800

i like open big sound. My sources today are CD players and amplifier BCL+P1U

Some of the recordings they sound better on  the old 159xx are very close to HD800S{Listening tests here by members of the site}

I never heard the HD800S

but soon ????

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #2,763 of 6,504
PIKSNZ

THANK YOU FOR THIS FILM

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,767 of 6,504

Actually I consider that treble etch very real...it's measured and shows up on virtually every FR response I've seen and don't hear it with either say the SR-009s or HE1000s...I have to conclude that with my recordings, it was the HD800s that overly emphasized it. Thankfully the HD800S's have fixed that for my ears. 

I agree that it is real. It obviously has a lot to do with why no headphone, including the S, does imaging and detail quite as well. The SR 009 comes really close, and as does the S. But it is interesting that while the S doesn't have that treble etch, it also doesn't image quite as well as the classic. So the etch is not best described simply as troublesome but as a feature with some caveats. It also is something that some people will decide they aren't willing to trade away when auditioning the S vs. classic. It also depends a lot on the recordings, but for state of the art acoustic, it is pretty much as good as it gets on the classic, although I won't be upset if you like the SR009 better or the S better. Properly amped, I would agree that those are better headphones, the S is even better than the 009 for acoustic. But it is worth noting that the HD800 is more and more often used as a monitoring headphone over here in europe for classical. Those guys really know what they are doing and how instruments are supposed to sound. I suppose they don't even consider the stax because of price and amping. Now they might switch to the younger Senn. I doubt anyone is using either set of cans for Rock, Pop or Hip Hop. Of course if your only concern was to make classic Rock recordings sound their best, unless you spend oodles on a  high end tube amp, the classic hd800 maybe isn't as good as some other choices. 

So  I guess we mostly agree, as long as you don't really think the Audeze match either Senn for openess, transparency and imaging. 
biggrin.gif

Planars seem to have some kind of funny problem with not being able to fully resolve the center image, although the latest Hifiman and Audeze TOTL seem to be mostly there. Caveat, I haven't heard the LCD 4.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #2,768 of 6,504
  While we are talking about the price point, what do you think about 959 € for new AKG 812? 
How are they compared to the HD 800? Strangely it is completely impossible to listen to in southern Germany.

If you can manage to come to Vienna, join us for our next meet on Feb. 27th. We'll have both... and many more :)

Some people will bring their original HD800 as well, so many people will have the opportunity to compare them side by side, even on different amps.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,769 of 6,504

While we are talking about the price point, what do you think about 959 € for new AKG 812? 
How are they compared to the HD 800? Strangely it is completely impossible to listen to in southern Germany.

If you can manage to come to Vienna, join us for our next meet on Feb. 27th. We'll have both... and many more :)

Some people will bring their original HD800 as well, so many people will have the opportunity to compare them side by side, even on different amps.

I actually will be in Vienna on a river boat cruise in late June, course no time to listen. I'll get my hd800s in mid February. See you on this forum then.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,771 of 6,504
I actually will be in Vienna on a river boat cruise in late June, course no time to listen. I'll get my hd800s in mid February. See you on this forum then.

If they let you off the boat let me know... always up for some coffee.

Hope you enjoy your upcoming HD800S as much as I do. I think they are a nice complement to the TH900 (or, as in my case, the Master-1).

Tomorrow I'll get an AK320 and start looking for a balanced cable to connect the HD800S as @Nomax suggested...

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,772 of 6,504
  I agree that it is real. It obviously has a lot to do with why no headphone, including the S, does imaging and detail quite as well. The SR 009 comes really close, and as does the S. But it is interesting that while the S doesn't have that treble etch, it also doesn't image quite as well as the classic. So the etch is not best described simply as troublesome but as a feature with some caveats. It also is something that some people will decide they aren't willing to trade away when auditioning the S vs. classic. It also depends a lot on the recordings, but for state of the art acoustic, it is pretty much as good as it gets on the classic, although I won't be upset if you like the SR009 better or the S better. Properly amped, I would agree that those are better headphones, the S is even better than the 009 for acoustic. But it is worth noting that the HD800 is more and more often used as a monitoring headphone over here in europe for classical. Those guys really know what they are doing and how instruments are supposed to sound. I suppose they don't even consider the stax because of price and amping. Now they might switch to the younger Senn. I doubt anyone is using either set of cans for Rock, Pop or Hip Hop. Of course if your only concern was to make classic Rock recordings sound their best, unless you spend oodles on a  high end tube amp, the classic hd800 maybe isn't as good as some other choices. 

So  I guess we mostly agree, as long as you don't really think the Audeze match either Senn for openess, transparency and imaging. 
biggrin.gif

Planars seem to have some kind of funny problem with not being able to fully resolve the center image, although the latest Hifiman and Audeze TOTL seem to be mostly there. Caveat, I haven't heard the LCD 4.

Actually I find the imaging between the HD800 and HD800S identical to my ears in my setup (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2). The new HE1000s and LCD-4s are brilliant for imaging...like really, really, really good!

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #2,773 of 6,504
Actually I find the imaging between the HD800 and HD800S identical to my ears in my setup (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2). The new HD1000s and LCD-4s are brilliant for imaging...like really, really, really good!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date. What brand are the HD1000s? Do you mean the Orpheus 2?

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,775 of 6,504
Sorry for the typo...HE1000s. 

Gotcha. Thanks. I've been spending a lot of time with my planars lately (he6 just got a power amp). Will probably pivot back to my hd800/s soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back