Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 19, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2,791 of 6,514
I thought the review was not nearly as bad as some of the rancid verbal diarrhea sprayed about elsewhere (many of which are really thinly disguised marketing hype and contain very little useful information). The V281 review did contain quite a bit of comparative descriptions of the V281 vs 4 other relevant amps. If only every review did that.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,792 of 6,514
Yes it was better than most, I agree.

Innerfidelity / Stereophile has better standards than blog type audiophile sites full of palpable PRAT like Headfonia or 6moons. You have to decipher those, try to filter the poems and guess the financial interests to get to some information. :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,793 of 6,514
I read Innerfidelity's and most other reviews before buying the Violectric V281.  I'm just curious now as to whether it will make the 800 S sound more like a souped-up HD 650 (like mine is presently) or something noticeably better.  And if better, in what ways?  Many have said the S sacrifices a tad bit of detail for a bit deeper bass (sounds a lot like my 650's).  I guess I have to choose which side of the scale I want to tip, buy the S for a little less detail but a little more bass or keep the classic for high details but a bit less bass.  

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,794 of 6,514
  I read Innerfidelity's and most other reviews before buying the Violectric V281.  I'm just curious now as to whether it will make the 800 S sound more like a souped-up HD 650 (like mine is presently) or something noticeably better.  And if better, in what ways?  Many have said the S sacrifices a tad bit of detail for a bit deeper bass (sounds a lot like my 650's).  I guess I have to choose which side of the scale I want to tip, buy the S for a little less detail but a little more bass or keep the classic for high details but a bit less bass.  

The S is much closer to the classic than it is to the HD650. And to my ears at least is better than the HD650 in nearly every way, except amp pickiness and ability to make crappy recording tolerable. The S has way better imaging, soundstage, transient decay, more true to life tonality. The S doesn't provide less detail than the classic, it is more  that the classic is a smidge better at imaging and instrument separation, especially in complex musical passages. But along with that comes more grain and occasional treble peakiness that some find grating. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,795 of 6,514
Since this thread has outlived its original purpose, I have created a new HD800 S impressions thread in the High-end Audio forum. It seems like that is a more appropriate place, don't it? So come on over to the new thread if you have impressions to share. Personally, I am looking forward to hearing about amp pairings 
popcorn.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/795365/sennheiser-hd800-s-impressions-thread

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,797 of 6,514
It seems to me like the comparisons of HD800 vs HD800S = HD600 vs HD650. HD800 = HD600 and HD800S = HD650.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #2,798 of 6,514
^ That would make the HD800S colored and warm with rolled off highs but more refined than the HD800, so my guess is that is not an accurate comparison. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,799 of 6,514
There's still time to edit this baseless comment.

Do the right thing.

Well, I am kinda sorry if it is not with your tastes, but I am the type of person who really likes all HD650, HD700 and HD800, and even HD598, but I would not listen to the same song with all of them. Or the same type of music. I am unable to find that exact post, nor I know to what exactly I should change it. 

Generally speaking, I like Sennheiser a lot, but I kind of see HD650, 700 and 800 be for totally different people. Kind of like they have completely different signatures. Not even made for the same purpose. HD650 is like the warmest, most natural, most relaxed headphone I had tried, but still had amazing resolution and details. HD800 was like extremely revealing, amazing huge soundstage. And HD700 was like, extremely detailed, but the sound was neither rolled off at either end, nor over-expressed, it had a smaller soundstage than I expected. Rather, it was like, the perfect headphone for some peculiar types of metal and a few other genera, but I would not see one person having all three, but rather I see everyone choosing one and liking it better than the others. This does not mean that any of them does a bad job, they all are amazing, but extremely different. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,800 of 6,514
Yeah that's just the impression I'm getting. Bit more tamed highs and little more lower end. Wish there was a way I could test the HD800S and compare them myself.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,801 of 6,514
One more addition to this thread:
It seems, that some go with only new version (HD800S) and drop 800 (if they have it); others seem to keep old and just add new to their collection; some are not interested in new and keep old (original HD800) or buy original HD800 for much cheaper price (new or second-hand).

But my question is related to this  - 'What is the average sound volume what You use to listen music'? (sure I understand, that 'sound volume' is quite subjective thing and something what is 'normal volume' for one, is 'low or high volume' for another).

I'm explaining how this question is related to HD800 or HD800S... I remember, when HD800 just came out, there was (I think that 'unofficial') suggestion from Sennheiser, that HD800 should be listened always at lower sound volumes [i.e. listener must keep sound volume with HD800 lower than listener typically is used to do].

Sure I like sound of my HD800 ('early build' version) and absolutely sure, that I just always preferred to use quite low sound volumes with any headphones or loudspeakers...

Maybe those who like sound of original HD800 just like to listen for music at 'lower volumes' and those, who described HD800 sound as unpleasantly bright are typically just listening music with higher volumes? Maybe HD800S is just more enjoyable for those, who like 'louder sound' from headphones??

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,802 of 6,514

There's still time to edit this baseless comment.

Do the right thing.

Well, I am kinda sorry if it is not with your tastes, but I am the type of person who really likes all HD650, HD700 and HD800, and even HD598, but I would not listen to the same song with all of them. Or the same type of music. I am unable to find that exact post, nor I know to what exactly I should change it. 

Generally speaking, I like Sennheiser a lot, but I kind of see HD650, 700 and 800 be for totally different people. Kind of like they have completely different signatures. Not even made for the same purpose. HD650 is like the warmest, most natural, most relaxed headphone I had tried, but still had amazing resolution and details. HD800 was like extremely revealing, amazing huge soundstage. And HD700 was like, extremely detailed, but the sound was neither rolled off at either end, nor over-expressed, it had a smaller soundstage than I expected. Rather, it was like, the perfect headphone for some peculiar types of metal and a few other genera, but I would not see one person having all three, but rather I see everyone choosing one and liking it better than the others. This does not mean that any of them does a bad job, they all are amazing, but extremely different. 

Good Post 
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,803 of 6,514
My music preferences change pretty dramatically depending on what I'm using to listen. With the HE-500, I'm all about electronic music and indies, especially indies with female vocals. When I listen to my girlfriend's X2, it's all about rock and, strangely, some classical (normally I hate classical).

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #2,804 of 6,514
  My music preferences change pretty dramatically depending on what I'm using to listen. With the HE-500, I'm all about electronic music and indies, especially indies with female vocals. When I listen to my girlfriend's X2, it's all about rock and, strangely, some classical (normally I hate classical).

Same. With HD600 I've been listening to jazz, acoustic and vocal and the heaviest was some classic rock. With X2 I mostly listen to alternative rock and progressive death metal, LOL.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #2,805 of 6,514

Generally speaking, I like Sennheiser a lot, but I kind of see HD650, 700 and 800 be for totally different people. Kind of like they have completely different signatures. Not even made for the same purpose. HD650 is like the warmest, most natural, most relaxed headphone I had tried, but still had amazing resolution and details. HD800 was like extremely revealing, amazing huge soundstage. And HD700 was like, extremely detailed, but the sound was neither rolled off at either end, nor over-expressed, it had a smaller soundstage than I expected. Rather, it was like, the perfect headphone for some peculiar types of metal and a few other genera, but I would not see one person having all three, but rather I see everyone choosing one and liking it better than the others. This does not mean that any of them does a bad job, they all are amazing, but extremely differentlol - 

What a bizarre response. That's not what you said originally, so I can't really reply if you keep moving the goal posts.

There are many users on here that like the 700 and 800 and many that like the 650 and 700.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back