Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 27, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,321 of 6,504
So if the HD800S is 328 euro more than the HD800 - 328 euro = $347.   So we add that to the HD800 $1599 price to get.....$1950.  

TOO MUCH.   

Let's hope they come to their senses and bring them in at no more than $1699.  

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,323 of 6,504
Yes on a HiFi show that this weekend is going on in Vienna. They did some nice things there ... for example they installed a system for comparing HD800 and HD800S by using Senn headphone amp with two balanced outputs where they connected these Senn's so that you can clearly hear the difference and make your decision whether the  difference in sound is worth additional money you have to pay for S version.

S has clearly more bass. That changes a bit the whole sound balance, which now has a fuller sound also in a mids. But they succedded to have very clear and crisp highs, which are practicallly the same as for the older model. That gives at the end a bit more substantial sound, more texture in the mid area, with fuller and punchier but well defined bass.

Saying all this, the difference is not huge but rather subtle. The question whether it si worth additional investment ? For me: yes. But that is really a very subjective decision that has some additional influencal parameters, like for example how large is the budget at disposal.

Sennheiser also presented another new cans in the price area of 500-600 euros, which they are marketing as phones for HD sound ... or something like that. They look very nice, they are quite large but I didn't heard them. My understanding is that they are made for the listening with iPads, iPhones and similar. Therefore I guess that they are rather sensitive and easy to drive ...

I always had a feeling that Senn HD800 need a very good amp and I haven't heard a real good one combined with them. Senn's own (larger model) is fairly good but I have feeling that these cans can sound even better than that. So the equation here is not only in buying these new Senn's but also in finding the appropriate amp. Therefore I think that McIntosh made a right decision by providing the whole system (amp + cans) which sounds really fantastic but for a very high price.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,324 of 6,504
Was thinking of going balanced for my HD800 when they arrive, my Audiolab MDAC has male outputs at the back that I believe can drive headphones - too bright perhaps? 

Use my Little Dot 3 Tube Amp with stock cable.

A new balanced amp and cable, pricey.

Didn't want to bump the old slow threads as you're all salivating over the new model and it's differences with the non s, oh God you're not going to tell me I should have just bought the new ones are you, same outlay and perfect sound with my current equipment.  

Be my luck that would! 

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,325 of 6,504
  Yes on a HiFi show that this weekend is going on in Vienna. They did some nice things there ... for example they installed a system for comparing HD800 and HD800S by using Senn headphone amp with two balanced outputs where they connected these Senn's so that you can clearly hear the difference and make your decision whether the  difference in sound is worth additional money you have to pay for S version.

S has clearly more bass. That changes a bit the whole sound balance, which now has a fuller sound also in a mids. But they succedded to have very clear and crisp highs, which are practicallly the same as for the older model. That gives at the end a bit more substantial sound, more texture in the mid area, with fuller and punchier but well defined bass.

Saying all this, the difference is not huge but rather subtle. The question whether it si worth additional investment ? For me: yes. But that is really a very subjective decision that has some additional influencal parameters, like for example how large is the budget at disposal.

Sennheiser also presented another new cans in the price area of 500-600 euros, which they are marketing as phones for HD sound ... or something like that. They look very nice, they are quite large but I didn't heard them. My understanding is that they are made for the listening with iPads, iPhones and similar. Therefore I guess that they are rather sensitive and easy to drive ...

I always had a feeling that Senn HD800 need a very good amp and I haven't heard a real good one combined with them. Senn's own (larger model) is fairly good but I have feeling that these cans can sound even better than that. So the equation here is not only in buying these new Senn's but also in finding the appropriate amp. Therefore I think that McIntosh made a right decision by providing the whole system (amp + cans) which sounds really fantastic but for a very high price.

more bass eh? how about the peaks they smoother?

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #1,326 of 6,504
Having heard the HD800S today for the first time I have to say its the first Sennheiser model I might actually buy (OK, besides the HD25 I had for DJing). Its simply more involving than the original version, not just playing music and pointing out details, but actually engaging -- what I always missed with the HD800. Yes, it seems to have a bit more bass, treble is smoother but the overall feeling is more than that... nice. And I do like the color scheme better as well. Unfortunately the color is just at the surface, a deeper scratch showed that.
I want to ask you a 3 questions 1. Does bass impact is comparable to HD650? Nice sub bass whitout much midbass would be good. 2. Does soundstage shrink a bit compared to original? 3. Can you make original to sound similar to HD800S with dark amp? Thank you:).

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #1,327 of 6,504
800s sounds indeed much better than 800
But the new orpheus is two classes better - for my ears
You can test them currently in vienna

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,328 of 6,504

Sennheiser also presented another new cans in the price area of 500-600 euros, which they are marketing as phones for HD sound ... or something like that. They look very nice, they are quite large but I didn't heard them. My understanding is that they are made for the listening with iPads, iPhones and similar. Therefore I guess that they are rather sensitive and easy to drive.

Is this the other new headphone that you saw at the show?

HD_630VB_moodshot_1.jpg

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,332 of 6,504
  Its difficult to tell from the photos but they look quite big and bulky, or are they ok once you put them on? 

Some more pics of the 630Vb here:-

http://www.moon-audio.com/sennheiser-hd-630vb-mobile-stereo-headphones.html

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,334 of 6,504
Can someone MassDrop this HD800s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back