Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 20, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #5,686 of 6,504
Retracted, just perpetuates the discussion. Sigh.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #5,687 of 6,504
Sorry, yes, got Remedy and Recovery confused.

---

Sonic Defender, I've posted in this thread about being unhappy with HD 800 S treble (I've owned my pair since early January, so my posts aren't recent) - after upgrading from HD 650. HD 650 hid the problem. With no change to my system HD 800 S was occasionally problematic. I bought the components I listed above and got a substantial improvement. Despite the fact that my DAC/Amp has galvanic isolation to "solve" the problems with USB.

My HD 800 S treble is sublime now. Radio frequency interference is a real problem and HD 800 S easily exposes it, whereas HD 650 hid the problem, in my system.

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #5,688 of 6,504
No worries, and I have said all that I am going to on the subject.  I thought it was an important aspect of the discussion about these amazing headphones that most of us in this thread own.  Anyway, if anyone decides to try one of these "gadgets" out you will be in for a really nice surprise :)....

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #5,689 of 6,504
Hello.... I got beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen. I got a chord hugo and they sounds pretty damn good. Now, i would like to know if anyone here have tried both the T1 2nd gen and the Hd800S. I got about 2 weeks more to return my t1 to get the Hd800s. Just wondering if the difference is worth 600$ what are your thoughts

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #5,690 of 6,504
Hello.... I got beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen. I got a chord hugo and they sounds pretty damn good. Now, i would like to know if anyone here have tried both the T1 2nd gen and the Hd800S. I got about 2 weeks more to return my t1 to get the Hd800s. Just wondering if the difference is worth 600$ what are your thoughts

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/9480#post_12515154

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #5,691 of 6,504
Thanks Very helpful.  Im just going to keep my t1s.   I am very happy and they sound amazing with the chord hugo.... by the way chord Hugo is surprisingly powerful...  more powerful that my beyerdynamic a20 amp.  (as far as amp is concern)  i thought it would struggle with the T1s 600oms but it eats them for breakfast and i cant really take anything more than 70% volume

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #5,692 of 6,504
  Thanks Very helpful.  Im just going to keep my t1s.   I am very happy and they sound amazing with the chord hugo.... by the way chord Hugo is surprisingly powerful...  more powerful that my beyerdynamic a20 amp.  (as far as amp is concern)  i thought it would struggle with the T1s 600oms but it eats them for breakfast and i cant really take anything more than 70% volume

You're welcome. I ended up keeping the S and returning the T1, but it was a difficult decision. I've never looked back and love the HD800S. But I'm pretty sure I would have felt the same if I had kept the T1. Money bags have the luxury of owning both
gs1000.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #5,694 of 6,504
  Your comparison favors the T1 greatly, but judging by your profile and signature, you still decided to keep the HD800S and get rid of the less expensive T1? Hmm...

Maybe this will help explain my decision a little: http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/10125#post_12563967

I think what it boiled down to is that I decided the S was the better phone for me because it does so well with a broad range of music types. Most of my listening is somewhat "casual" while I'm working at my desk or otherwise wasting my time))) If I were an "intense" listener I might have kept the T1 instead.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #5,697 of 6,504
Those jitterbugs and other tweaks are good at fixing audible computer noise, but if one wants to altogether get rid of these problems and get a serious bump in sound quality, they should look into dedicated music players like from Bryston or Aurender to further feed your DAC instead of Mac/PC. The HD 800 will definitely resolve the change in the digital front end. In my ownership of these headphones, I've yet to hit the ceiling where an investment has made no difference to what these headphones can resolve.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #5,698 of 6,504
That really depends a whole lot on the type of computer you are talking about.  You are absolutely correct when compared to a Mac or a Laptop PC, etc.  However dedicated music servers are simply single purpose built computers.  So you can indeed build a PC to perform as a dedicated music server.  Concentrating on certain aspects, such as my PC has the exact same motherboard as many "music servers".  Getting extreme power supplies; I use a Gold Standard.  Stripping unnecessary services and add on components.  I removed the high end video card (using the machine strictly as a headless Roon Server), and have a closed loop liquid cooling system.  The computer case incorporates a granite base to further dampen any residual noise.  There certainly is more that can be done, but my point is a home built PC can in fact be competitive with dedicated music servers at a fraction of what they charge for these machines....

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #5,699 of 6,504
  Those jitterbugs and other tweaks are good at fixing audible computer noise, but if one wants to altogether get rid of these problems and get a serious bump in sound quality, they should look into dedicated music players like from Bryston or Aurender to further feed your DAC instead of Mac/PC. The HD 800 will definitely resolve the change in the digital front end. In my ownership of these headphones, I've yet to hit the ceiling where an investment has made no difference to what these headphones can resolve.

What he said ^…
And I would add that AOIP is clearly superior (at least to me) to any of the other forms of digital audio delivery to the dac.
There are a few USB to SPDIF/AES/I2S boxes that are also quite good.

My point is, the means of getting those digits and bits from what ever source to the dac seems to be a big factor in attaining a big step up in SQ.

And the 800's remain scaleable, as in, they are not holding the overall SQ back in any way.
Which results in an even more delightful listening experience…

JJ
atsmile.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #5,700 of 6,504
Electrical noise from a PC or Mac corrupting the sound. Is there any evidence that this noise is audible? And I don't just mean measureable, we all can agree that we can measure tiny, tiny amounts of electrical noise, what I have never seen is evidence that this noise even approaches audibility. I'm not trying to be one of those annoying objectivists although I know I am, but seriously, where is the evidence of this audible electrical noise? I often read about measurements being compared that do indeed demonstrate a difference, but that does not in any way conflate to practical difference. Our brain is really not that powerful at discriminating such faint signals overtop of the music, it just isn't. Heck, we can barely hear somebody a few feet away talking when there is background noise in the room so how are we to hear these tiny, tiny, tiny, little bits of electrical noise over-top of amplified music? The noise would have to be at a very high amplitude to be audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back