Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 23, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #4,546 of 6,504
HI Will!

First, it's ALL psychology. The whole hobby is a subjective experience, peppered with a few people trying to gloss it over as objective in some way.

I do have other headphones, most notably the Alpha Primes. I will probably get the Grado GS-2000e's at some point. But the HD800S's get about 99% of my headphone time, and have for the past month. Everything, including my horribly-recorded 80's extreme metal like Celtic Frost just sound so natural with them. I can't get enough. These are fantastic headphones, regardless of the 'hype'. I use them for everything, including my home theater listening.

I might drive you nuts, but that's ok. I'm having a great time doing it!

biggrin.gif

old post

Last edited:
May 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #4,547 of 6,504
  I'm not hearing what the HD 800 does better than the HD 800 S on classical music? Violins sound better on the HD 800 S for example according to my ears. 

Believe the general consensus is that the instrumental timbre is actually better with the “S”s but that there may be a tiny loss in detail, definition and sound stage compared to the originals.
Listening to Bach’s “Canates de Mariage” on Harmonia Mundi this morning was absolutely fabulous, best I’ve heard,

, and while Underworld’s “Beaucoup Fish” sounded very good with great imaging and powerful base

Orbital’s “The Altogether” was just borderline and probably best served up on my HD700s and LCD-2.2s.

May 23, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #4,548 of 6,504
  Headphone stands for HD 800 S (and of course HD 800). Any of you here on Massdrop? If not, register! They had a drop for Klutz Design Can Cans and I missed it. The minimum required number of people interested to get a new drop is 200. We're now up to 230 but the more people interested, the better. Can Cans are very expensive. Via Massdrop Klutz only sold B-stock but most people said that there was no real aesthetic problem with the B-stock. I'm gonna get two, one for each of my HD 800's, so I'm really looking forward to a new drop to save some money. What I like about the Can Cans for the HD 800's is that they have a nice cradle up top for the headphone band and they don't put any pressure on the ear pads. Of course there are plenty of other options for the HD 800 series but to me it's almost like the Can Cans were made for the HD 800's. Check out this image that I found.

Nice stands!

May 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #4,550 of 6,504
May 24, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #4,551 of 6,504
  Headphone stands for HD 800 S (and of course HD 800). Any of you here on Massdrop? If not, register! They had a drop for Klutz Design Can Cans and I missed it. The minimum required number of people interested to get a new drop is 200. We're now up to 230 but the more people interested, the better. Can Cans are very expensive. Via Massdrop Klutz only sold B-stock but most people said that there was no real aesthetic problem with the B-stock. I'm gonna get two, one for each of my HD 800's, so I'm really looking forward to a new drop to save some money. What I like about the Can Cans for the HD 800's is that they have a nice cradle up top for the headphone band and they don't put any pressure on the ear pads. Of course there are plenty of other options for the HD 800 series but to me it's almost like the Can Cans were made for the HD 800's. Check out this image that I found.

I had a stand off Amazon that had a silicone arm the headband rested on, leaving the earcups resting. I didn't like it, solely for the fact that the earcups would be collecting dust all day, every day. I went with one of the wooden Omega stands with rubber feet on the bottom. In my opinion they are a perfect fit. The headband (I use mine fully extended) wraps perfectly over the top, and the earcups apply even pressure onto the stand which should prevent any disproportionate flattening of the cushions, if any flattening would ever occur (I doubt it). Stock image below, not my personal setup, but you get the idea.

May 24, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #4,552 of 6,504
  Has anyone paired HD800S with Grace Design M9XX and could share their thoughts?

I use the HD800S with the m9XX. No complaints at all. I previously had a Schiit Uber stack. I'm hard pressed to tell a difference, maybe it's the source files (since I'm using Google Play Music), or maybe my hearing/sonic attention to detail isn't that superb. The Schiit, maybe, maybe produced a little more bass. But I sold the stack quickly after getting the m9XX and I'm not looking back. The m9XX is a fantastic AIO unit, and I take pleasure listening every time I put the headphones on. Plenty of volume without tapping into the 90+ power band which produces power a little differently from what I read (sounds like that could be more distorted, but you'd probably never notice) than levels 0-89.5

May 25, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #4,553 of 6,504
I got a few stax headphone covers, dust problem solved. They have a good shape to them as well. I need a small footprint on my desk as possible so inexpensive small stands worked well.

May 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #4,555 of 6,504
Hi, English is not my main language, so pls be patient.

I have been listening to my HD800S for about a month now. These are great HP. Coming from HD650 the difference in clarity and detail is enormous, but they can also be a little strident at times. My main interest is classical music with the ocassional Apocalyptica or Dream Theater.  

The treble energy is sometimes just too much with an unpleasant echo (I am not too familiar with the words to describe headphones sound). I found myself looking for cello or bass music, and avoiding flute and sometimes even piano. I was growing frustrated also.

My rig was iPhone6 -> Sony PHA-3 -> HDVA600 -> HD800S.  The amp section of PHA-3 is known to be somewhat warm, so I decided to give it a try. After getting the appropiate balanced cable, the chain became iPhone6 -> PHA-3 -> HD800

The sound was noticeably toned down. Maybe I lost a bit of detail, but all the music is now listenable, also my tinnitus is grateful.

Regards,

Eduardo.

May 25, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #4,556 of 6,504
I had a stand off Amazon that had a silicone arm the headband rested on, leaving the earcups resting. I didn't like it, solely for the fact that the earcups would be collecting dust all day, every day. I went with one of the wooden Omega stands with rubber feet on the bottom. In my opinion they are a perfect fit. The headband (I use mine fully extended) wraps perfectly over the top, and the earcups apply even pressure onto the stand which should prevent any disproportionate flattening of the cushions, if any flattening would ever occur (I doubt it). Stock image below, not my personal setup, but you get the idea.

$20 on Amazon, works perfect.

May 25, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,557 of 6,504
^^ Link?

NM...found it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Headphone-hanger-holder-Display--brown/dp/B00VI72SDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464206444&sr=8-1&keywords=leather+headphone+stand

May 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,558 of 6,504
May 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #4,559 of 6,504
  Believe the general consensus is that the instrumental timbre is actually better with the “S”s but that there may be a tiny loss in detail, definition and sound stage compared to the originals.
Listening to Bach’s “Canates de Mariage” on Harmonia Mundi this morning was absolutely fabulous, best I’ve heard,

, and while Underworld’s “Beaucoup Fish” sounded very good with great imaging and powerful base

Orbital’s “The Altogether” was just borderline and probably best served up on my HD700s and LCD-2.2s.

bach is good ,  about the stands dont they f--- up the headphone

May 25, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #4,560 of 6,504

I looked at the measurements of the headphone stand and its only 10.1" high, isn't that a bit too low if the cables are connected?  I've built 2 stands but made them 12.5 high so that the cables are not bent too much on the table top, also I don't care for the ear pads always being compressed, seems like it would lose the elasticity quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back