Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 26, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #4,561 of 6,504
I looked at the measurements of the headphone stand and its only 10.1" high, isn't that a bit too low if the cables are connected?  I've built 2 stands but made them 12.5 high so that the cables are not bent too much on the table top, also I don't care for the ear pads always being compressed, seems like it would lose the elasticity quicker.

No problem at all.

May 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #4,562 of 6,504
How do these headphone's decreased soundstage effect it's performance as a FPS gaming headphone? Mine: HD598 vs HD800 (best?) vs HD800S
old post

Last edited:
May 26, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #4,563 of 6,504
No problem at all.

Thanks for the pictures, really appreciate that
darthsmile.gif

May 26, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #4,564 of 6,504
I like the Woo stands the best because you can raise them nicely to avoid bent cables.
Also, they don't press on the pads. And the Woo stands are very sturdy with great build-quality and are not too expensive for all you get. They are designed very well.

May 26, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #4,565 of 6,504
  I like the Woo stands the best because you can raise them nicely to avoid bent cables.
Also, they don't press on the pads. And the Woo stands are very sturdy with great build-quality and are not too expensive for all you get. They are designed very well.

The Woo stand is very nice. My only small complaint is that since it's metal, you have to be careful not to ding your headphones against it when placing them on. Also it has a sorta sharp corner edge. 

May 28, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #4,568 of 6,504
I am testing the the 800s with the mojo DAC amp anyone have an opinion of this pairing

Quite simply in the chord line up

Dave>TT>Hugo>mojo, pick your price point. Each step better dac, each step more authority better dynamics. Even amp pairing would be better as one moves up the chain. Dave may be more particular concerning an amp, it's also the price of a car. ( well a cheap one) the hd800S needs authority to scale properly.

May 29, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #4,570 of 6,504
Never owned or tested the 598. Have both 800's. The original 800 wins hands down for FPS gaming. Soundstage is bigger and more detailed than the 800S. I use an Xbox One connected to a Denon AVR-X7200WA that provides outstanding virtual surround and can actually drive these 300 ohms headphones very well.

What about overall comparisons ? is the original superior by a big margin ? 

May 29, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #4,571 of 6,504
I just bought the HD800 S and need advice on buying an amp below 600$ tag that will drive it to full potential. Or near to full potential.  

May 29, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #4,572 of 6,504

What about overall comparisons ? is the original superior by a big margin ? 

It's a "significant" difference, the 800's over the 800 S's. It you only purchase the HD 800 S as it is the "latest and the greatest" then I think you will be happy. But still... in other posts here I've told about how I'm an outlier on this forum as I use my 800/S's for Xbox, TV (cable movies and series, Netflix) and Blu-rays. Here's how I use them: All sources that only provide Dolby Digital or DD+ which is a lossy audio format, I use the original HD 800's. They provide bigger - no the biggest - sound stage and pick up on all of the micro details in the audio track. I find them to be more sensitive and more revealing. For Blu-rays which use lossless audio I use the 800 S. The high treble scenes in movies with the HD 800's are so piercing they'll almost give you tinnitus. The HD 800 S has tamed those treble peaks which makes them very enjoyable for Blu-ray lossless audio at high volume. The bass also goes a bit deeper with the HD 800 S but with some distortion so I'm on the fence about which I think is better; HD 800's with slightly less bass but zero distortion or the HD 800 S's with slightly deeper bass but with some distortion. But because of the treble, HD 800 S is the clear choice for Blu-rays.
When I play my FPS's on Xbox One I use the orignal HD 800's Exampe: I'm into Dying Light right now and that is one creepy game. The atmospherics and ambiance in the game gives me goose bumps sometimes and it's an immersive experience with the 800's. The world sound huge and you can really sense things that are far off, kinda close, and very close. And with a AVR like mine with excellent virtual surround, directionality is not a problem. Tips: I only use these headphones when playing alone. When I'm playing online with people, I actually use the Audeze LCD-X. I have an AntLion ModMic connected to it and connect the ModMic and the headphones with a special cable (only couple out there that work) 3,5 mm input into the controller. The reason I use the LCD-X in this case is because they are only 20 ohms cans so you get loud volume even through the wireless controller and they won't drain the battery charge so much as they are only 20 ohms. The LCD-X, as they are also open headphones albeit with a different technology, also provide big atmosphere, details and directionality.
But this forum is about the HD 800 S. To summarize: I'm lucky enough to own both 800's so I can pick and choose usage. But if your only going to own one pair, and use them the way I use them and not so much for music, I think, knowing what I know now, I would choose the original 800's. Even if you would also use the original 800's for Blu-rays they're still an excellent choice but you got to watch out for those scenes in movies with high treble peaks. Those can be uncomfortable. It's hard not to choose the latest and the greatest with all the hype, right? I know. Look at it this way as well. There's still a lively debate about the HD 600's and the HD 650's and which is better and people are still buying them even though you can get the HD 700, 800 and 800 S, granted there's a huge price difference between the HD 600 up to the HD 800 S. And for music? Heck I don't even use my Senns. I use my LCD-X's and modded Fostex TH900's.

May 29, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #4,573 of 6,504
yeah, if I had both 800 and 800S I'd use the former for gaming and movies and the latter for music. 

May 29, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #4,574 of 6,504
Very surprised how people choose the original 800 for gaming. I found it to be way too thin and anything involving an explosion to be very underwhelming. The 800S is a much better experience for me, but with one minor fault. Gunshots in particular sound very blunted and lacking that piercing sound that I actually prefer with the HD700 and HD800. Apart from that if it weren't for fit issues Id still go with the HD800S overall.

(I've had to sell my 800S for the fit problems and have since repurchased the HD700)

May 29, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #4,575 of 6,504
Very surprised how people choose the original 800 for gaming. I found it to be way too thin and anything involving an explosion to be very underwhelming. The 800S is a much better experience for me, but with one minor fault. Gunshots in particular sound very blunted and lacking that piercing sound that I actually prefer with the HD700 and HD800. Apart from that if it weren't for fit issues Id still go with the HD800S overall.

(I've had to sell my 800S for the fit problems and have since repurchased the HD700)
I personally think that HD800 with a small eq for bass can trumph HD800S easily for gaming. Mine T1 whitout eq is not as good for single player as DT990 stock, but with eq it can easily beat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back