Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #4,532 of 6,504
  Hey guys, I've got my HD800S for a few days and I really love it that I love it more than my HD800. I would like to share my video review about the HD800S in here. Hope you like it :)

+1 Exactly my thoughts of both phones
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #4,534 of 6,504
Nice! I just took a look at them. I went for aesthetics so I got the black gaboon ebony cups. They weren't the preferred wood for my preferred genre on Lawtons " tone wheel" but I was not disappointed.

The question of the different kinds of wood and how (or if) they influence the sound is actually discussed in the TH-900 at the moment, if you're interested or would like to contribute.

May 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4,535 of 6,504

Nice! I just took a look at them. I went for aesthetics so I got the black gaboon ebony cups. They weren't the preferred wood for my preferred genre on Lawtons " tone wheel" but I was not disappointed.

The question of the different kinds of wood and how (or if) they influence the sound is actually discussed in the TH-900 at the moment, if you're interested or would like to contribute.

actually we are passed that and it was incidental conversation to complimentary comparison for hd800S, at the moment there is something weird going on in the th900 thread. must be 3000 plus posts that do it,
wink_face.gif

May 22, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #4,536 of 6,504
  Hey guys, I've got my HD800S for a few days and I really love it that I love it more than my HD800. I would like to share my video review about the HD800S in here. Hope you like it :)

Thanks...

Very good review with an excellent comparison, I like that you caught the sound stage difference, as my ears are a lot older than yours 
redface.gif
I thought it may have been my imagination that the room boundaries were more defined and not infinite... . 
smile.gif

May 22, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #4,537 of 6,504
Very nice insightful original review Windwolf447; I enjoyed it a lot.
You hit on a very great point towards the end where you say the S version is better for more lively music vs. the original for classical/orchestral/instrumental things.
I've often said that pop/rock or other modern music is better served by more forgiving or even reticent headphones since they can reign in the excesses and unforgiving nature of this music or the recordings themselves.
I often see the opposite recommendation, that more dynamic or revealing headphones are good for stronger music, but I think it's the reverse.
Of course there is some over-generalization in this, but I feel the central truth holds.

May 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,538 of 6,504
actually we are passed that and it was incidental conversation to complimentary comparison for hd800S, at the moment there is something weird going on in the th900 thread. must be 3000 plus posts that do it, :wink_face:  

Hehe, I know, I'm just desperately trying to get that thread back on track. :laughing:
But here's not the place for this.

May 22, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #4,539 of 6,504
Hi Guys,

But when I hear things like "This is the only headphone", "I listen to all my music with the HD 800 S", "I no longer use my Audezes" I have to wonder what you guys are listening to and how much psychology and selective perception plays in here. Not trying to put anyone down here, absolutely not, but it's this hype and worship of the HD 800/S's that kinda gets under my skin. Like I said, I own both, gladly and proudly, but they're not my only headphones and I certainly do not use them for everything. Maybe for some of you these are your only high-end headphones and if so, then I respect that. Not everyone can or will spend thousands on several sets of high end cans.

HI Will!

First, it's ALL psychology. The whole hobby is a subjective experience, peppered with a few people trying to gloss it over as objective in some way.

I do have other headphones, most notably the Alpha Primes. I will probably get the Grado GS-2000e's at some point. But the HD800S's get about 99% of my headphone time, and have for the past month. Everything, including my horribly-recorded 80's extreme metal like Celtic Frost just sound so natural with them. I can't get enough. These are fantastic headphones, regardless of the 'hype'. I use them for everything, including my home theater listening.

I might drive you nuts, but that's ok. I'm having a great time doing it!

:D

May 22, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #4,540 of 6,504
I don't worship the 800 S, or think they are the only great headphone there is out there, but they are an exceptional product.
My HD800 S and modded HE-6 are getting about equal head time.
They both sound truly exceptional.
They both do some things differently, but both are extremely pleasing headphones. The level of detail resolution on both of these is mind boggling. Differences in the sound of different interconnects, cables, amps, and sources is very obvious with both of them, and they very readily "tell it like it is" with different recordings.
I did extensive comparisons with the regular classic 800, and I simply could not live with them in their stock form. Too harsh.
I also used to be a huge fan of the HD 600, but it simply is not in the same league as the 800 S and modded HE-6.
I bought a used pair of HD 600's, and put new earpads on them for comparison sake.
The 600 sounds closed in, sort of grainy, a touch slow, and somewhat muddy and muffled in comparison. The mid bass hump is also painfully obvious on the 600, as is the sub bass roll off.
I have also purchased a used pair of Beyerdynamic T-1 first generation to compare to my 800 S and HE-6, but haven't got them yet.
Anyway, the Sennheiser HD 800 S is, without question, ONE of my all time favorite headphones, bar none.

May 22, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #4,541 of 6,504

Thanks @windwolf447! Good review and comparison :)

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 22, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #4,542 of 6,504
The notion that the HD800s are "not" forgiving headphones for some genres of music always makes me smile. I had my musical growing up in the mid to late 70's and early 80's or in other words, I am not someone who can't appreciate Punk or New Wave rock.
I want to hear Joy Division and The New York Dolls in all their imperfection and in the way it was meant to be by the artists and their producer(s).
The deliberate way of how such songs were recorded is an integral part of music as a form of human expression.

Of course I listen to other genres as well and if the artist/producer think their music demands a highly polished or audiophile sound, I do want to hear exactly this on my headphones.

And the HD800s can do that better than any other headphone I have tried.

May 23, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #4,543 of 6,504
I own both HD-800S and Ether C. Well Ether C is closed-backed so it might not be a fair comparison, but they are similarly priced. Ether C has its own strength and different sound signature from the 800S. But the biggest strength of Ether C is that I do not need to bother someone else around me. My subjective experience tells me that the 800S is more musically expressive with greater clarity and in particular, it is bit more "pleasing."

May 23, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #4,544 of 6,504
Really looking forward to hearing the Ether and Ether C someday, along with the HEX... but yesterday I finally got to hear the HD800S and I was really pleased with what I heard. A few years ago I chose the HD700 over the HD800 and though I never regretted that choice I did come to regret the 6kHz spike in the HD700 and I am now selling them. But my issues with the original HD800 have been resolved and that includes the soundstage which I found to be too much of a good thing with the original. Maybe it is just the music selections and dac/amp playing a role here along with poor audio memory, but not only did I really like the HD800S, I thought it held up really well to a bunch of pop music I threw at it during my 10 minutes with it. My wife was very impressed as well, saying KD Lang vocals were the best she had ever heard. I also heard the HEK on an amazing set up as well as with my own Gustard stack, and that was brilliant as well, but I preferred the fit, feel and personality of the HD800S... or maybe I was just scared away by the price of the HEK. Anyways, my next high end headphone is definitely going to be the HD800S.

May 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #4,545 of 6,504
I'm not hearing what the HD 800 does better than the HD 800 S on classical music? Violins sound better on the HD 800 S for example according to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back