Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Apr 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #4,353 of 6,504
  Interesting tidbit, The Eagles "Hotel California" has been Sennheiser's demo track for like 30 years. I guess it's a pretty dynamic track that was recorded and engineered really well. 

(I have the CD but thinking about buying a high-res 192k version of the song.)

Not sure which CD version you have but they are quite different.  I have the recent (2013) remaster and release on CD and the HD tracks 24/96 version has to come from a different master even though they note the same 2013 release date.  I have been meaning to pick up an original pressing of the CD version to compare. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #4,354 of 6,504
But, I don't know of any amp that will turn 800 S bass into Audeze bass. Do you actually disagree with that?

Why would i disagree with that? I already said you wont get that kind of planar bass with a dynamic driver. you can however tune and adjust hd800 bass response with various amps and cables.

Your reply said you didnt agree.

What a bizarre conversation.

Point taken, and sorry for misunderstanding what you actually wrote.

:xf_eek:

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,355 of 6,504
  Just received my HD 800S today.

First impression is, this headphone is AMAZING in mid section, imaging, staging. The sound is rich and quite "calm" rather than it old sibling.

Not very good to use this headphone for electronic/ modern music such : hip hop, funk, rock, because is lack of quantity of bass.
Its very good to use this headphone for natural music, like classic, audiophile recording, jazz.

I use this HD 800s just with chord mojo. Comfort is no 1 strength point for this headphone. I already hear it almost 2 hours, and don't get fatigue in neck.

Is someone can refer any balanced amp that can suit HD 800S to electronic music? is it possible to add quantity of bass like audeze bass ?? :) 

Many thanks

Why not try adding more low end via equalizer, say with Audirvana plus etc. first before springing $$$ for more gear.  

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,357 of 6,504
I dont have amp right now. Just connect this hd 800s with chord mojo.
Want to buy balanced solid state amp with mojo as DAC.

Any suggestion balanced ss amp that add bass slam and prat to this headphone?

I read in up above replaid, liquid crimson can add bass ? Can that amp add bass slam to this hd 800s?

I like listening to progressive / modern jazz which is very lack of energy with this hd800s. As example, when i listen to Wojtek Pilichowski slap bass, it's like joke to hear that. Lack of energy, very dry, not get excitement at all :mad:

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,358 of 6,504
Good amp will help, but it will not change the headphone character in a dramatic way.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #4,359 of 6,504
Oh ok, i will try add some eq to adjust bass.
But i think eq can not add slam and prat for this hd 800s. But i will try.

Yes, it can! That's what I do – with the HD 800 classic.

BTW, you can't remove the Mojo's headphone output from the signal path anyway, so additional amplification makes all the less sense, let alone for equalizing purposes.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #4,360 of 6,504
 You could use a nice integrated amp with a  good headphone output like the Yamaha A-S301. That way, you can use the tone controls to mimic other headphones. When you get tired of playing with the tone controls, you can use pure direct mode to mimic a real headphone amp.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #4,361 of 6,504
   You could use a nice integrated amp with a  good headphone output like the Yamaha A-S301. That way, you can use the tone controls to mimic other headphones. When you get tired of playing with tone controls you can use pure direct mode to mimic a real headphone amp.

That would be a clear sonic downgrade from his Mojo, though.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #4,362 of 6,504
I pump up the bass using EQ (Amarra). Sounds great to me with electronic music, etc.  I also use the Cardas Clear (balanced) cable. 

I used to be a total bass head and find no lack of bass with the HD800 S.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #4,363 of 6,504

BTW, you can't remove the Mojo's headphone output from the signal path anyway, so additional amplification makes all the less sense, let alone for equalizing purposes.

Other DAC's usually have an output stage also. I had to put the Chord Hugo extremely loud in order to match it with the Auralic Vega for example. So I see no issue with adding an additional amplifier on to the Chord Hugo or Mojo since that is what you also do with other DAC's (in the case with Chord DAC's, it's near maximum volume). 

(It seems Chord simply added a headphone port directly onto the output stage of the DAC,  so there is no additional amplifier inside the Chord Mojo and Hugo?)

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #4,364 of 6,504

DAC's usually have an output stage also. I had to put the Chord Hugo extremely loud in order to match it with the Auralic Vega for example. So I see no issue with adding an additional amplifier since that is what you also do with other DAC's (in the case with Chord DAC's, it's near maximum volume). 

As I said, you can't bypass the Mojo's (and Hugo's and DAVE's) headphone output – it's the same signal path as the line output, since there's no dedicated headphone amp built in. Other DACs have a different topology, and you can bypass their headphone output (if available). So if you don't need higher power, it makes no sense to add an amp if you're looking for higher sound quality and accuracy (objectively spoken). You can't improve a signal by re-amplifying it.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #4,365 of 6,504

As I said, you can't bypass the Mojo's (and Hugo's and DAVE's) headphone output – it's the same signal path as the line output, since there's no dedicated headphone amp built in. Other DACs have a different topology, and you can bypass their headphone output (if available). So if you don't need higher power, it makes no sense to add an amp if you're looking for higher sound quality and accuracy (objectively spoken). You can't improve a signal by re-amplifying it.

I'm not sure if I follow you. What is the difference between Chord Hugo output stage and other DAC's like the Auralic Vega which make it a problem? If Auralic simply added a headphone port directly onto the output stage of the Auralic Vega so that you can plugin headphones on your DAC, you basically have the same thing the Chord Hugo does?

Since I'm not using the headphone output port, but the line out ports on the Chord Hugo like I would use on the Auralic Vega, I don't see the issue here regarding the headphone port that I don't use. It's simply the same signal / output stage you would have used with a DAC that doesn't have a headphone port (even if I would have used the headphone port into the amplifier, it's still the same signal also like a regular DAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back