Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Apr 24, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #4,336 of 6,504
Ive tried them with 42 amplifiers, they need to be driven properly to truly sing. Its not really a debate with you or an attack on your opinions -- i like (and own) the other headphones you mention ... however to dismiss the he1000 so out of hand seems rather niave. The he1000 are a superior headphone to the he6 in every way. Hifi man are one of the handful of companies out there who do make progress, every time. Well so far.

Good for you.
I have stated my opinion, and you have stated yours, lets move on now.
After all, this is a HD 800 S thread, not a HE1000 thread.
Cheers :rolleyes:

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #4,337 of 6,504
Good for you.
I have stated my opinion, and you have stated yours, lets move on now.
After all, this is a HD 800 S thread, not a HE1000 thread.
Cheers
rolleyes.gif

Why so patronising? I know this is a HD800S thread, i posted a link to my Sennheiser HD800s review earlier in it after Sennheiser Germany sent me a pair with the HD800 for publication both in magazines and online.

I noticed your post about the HE1000 and how disappointing it was for you, and I was only offering up a suggestion after looking at your signature hardware spec list that it is likely the amplification you used them with. The HE1000 I have found need specific amplifiers such as the Luxman P700u to really get the most out of them. When Sennheiser were sending me the HD800s I spoke with them and they did say that they want the HD800/S to sound fantastic with a variety of amplifiers and they achieved this. Its a fantastic headphone.

Don't take everything so personally, if you post in a public headphone forum known for debate and disregard an excellent headphone potentially linked to poor synergy between amplifier and headphone, I would assume you would want feedback on how to possibly improve the overall experience.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #4,339 of 6,504
my HEK sounded wonderful with my yiggy/rag combo and my yiggy/neo moon 430 combo and even with my hugo/liquid carbon.....fabulous cans..the 800S which i also own is also an outstanding HD

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #4,340 of 6,504
  my HEK sounded wonderful with my yiggy/rag combo and my yiggy/neo moon 430 combo and even with my hugo/liquid carbon.....fabulous cans..the 800S which i also own is also an outstanding HD

Same here.  I love my new HD800 S with my Nagra HD DAC, Simaudio 430, Hugo, and even the tiny Bravo Audio V2.  The 800S scales very well and reveals more with improved sources and playback devices.
Same can be said about the HE1000 and other top cans.  They each have their unique signatures.  Time has to be spent using each for a long time to appreciate what the designers and engineers intend to convey.

Paul

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #4,342 of 6,504
The he1000 are a superior headphone to the he6 in every way. 

I own the HE-6 but was curious about the HEK and borrowed it from a friend. After a week with the HEK I came to the opposite conclusion: HE-6 are superior, not in every way, though. HEK has it beat on soundstage and euphony, but HE-6 wins in terms of transients/speed and clarity. In terms of neutrality, I think both are close in the bass/mids, but I find the HE-6 sounded a tad more organic and the HEK sounded a little softer/subdued, and both are peaky in the treble; but HE-6 responded better to EQ (probably because of its lower distortion) and loves being cranked, while the HEK was the opposite in that I couldn't get the EQ right and seemed much worse when cranked. At lower listening levels, I can understand why some would prefer the more pleasant sounding HEK, but cranked the HE-6 is very addictive for how clear and punchy it is; almost speaker-like. HD800S beats them both on soundstaging and neutrality, but it lacks the tactility of both. 

As it stands I'd rank them like: HE-6 = HD800S > HEK

Source and amp was Oppo HA-1, which had plenty of power for the HEK and is as neutral sounding as it gets, so what I heard was the result of headphone sound, not source/amp. For the HE-6 I use the Emotiva A-100 speaker amp with the HA-1 as a DAC/pre-amp. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #4,343 of 6,504
I own the HE-6 but was curious about the HEK and borrowed it from a friend. After a week with the HEK I came to the opposite conclusion: HE-6 are superior, not in every way, though. HEK has it beat on soundstage and euphony, but HE-6 wins in terms of transients/speed and clarity. In terms of neutrality, I think both are close in the bass/mids, but I find the HE-6 sounded a tad more organic and the HEK sounded a little softer/subdued, and both are peaky in the treble; but HE-6 responded better to EQ (probably because of its lower distortion) and loves being cranked, while the HEK was the opposite in that I couldn't get the EQ right and seemed much worse when cranked. At lower listening levels, I can understand why some would prefer the more pleasant sounding HEK, but cranked the HE-6 is very addictive for how clear and punchy it is; almost speaker-like. HD800S beats them both on soundstaging and neutrality, but it lacks the tactility of both. 

As it stands I'd rank them like: HE-6 = HD800S > HEK

Source and amp was Oppo HA-1, which had plenty of power for the HEK and is as neutral sounding as it gets, so what I heard was the result of headphone sound, not source/amp. For the HE-6 I use the Emotiva A-100 speaker amp with the HA-1 as a DAC/pre-amp. 

I agree almost 100% with your opinion and findings here.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,344 of 6,504
Just received my HD 800S today.

First impression is, this headphone is AMAZING in mid section, imaging, staging. The sound is rich and quite "calm" rather than it old sibling.

Not very good to use this headphone for electronic/ modern music such : hip hop, funk, rock, because is lack of quantity of bass.
Its very good to use this headphone for natural music, like classic, audiophile recording, jazz.

I use this HD 800s just with chord mojo. Comfort is no 1 strength point for this headphone. I already hear it almost 2 hours, and don't get fatigue in neck.

Is someone can refer any balanced amp that can suit HD 800S to electronic music? is it possible to add quantity of bass like audeze bass ?? :) 

Many thanks

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #4,345 of 6,504

First impression is, this headphone is AMAZING in mid section, imaging, staging. The sound is rich and quite "calm" rather than it old sibling.

Not very good to use this headphone for electronic/ modern music such : hip hop, funk, rock, because is lack of quantity of bass.
Its very good to use this headphone for natural music, like classic, audiophile recording, jazz.

I use this HD 800s just with chord mojo. Comfort is no 1 strength point for this headphone. I already hear it almost 2 hours, and don't get fatigue in neck.

Is someone can refer any amp that can suit HD 800S to electronic music? is it possible to add quantity of bass like audeze bass :) 

Many thanks

You cant really expect that bass impact from a dynamic driver, against a planar. The first thing i would do would be to upgrade the cable, to cardas or preferred third party. Hd800 cables have always been the weak link.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #4,347 of 6,504

Is someone can refer any amp that can suit HD 800S to electronic music? is it possible to add quantity of bass like audeze bass :) 

Many thanks

You cant really expect that bass impact from a dynamic driver, against a planar. The first thing i would do would be to upgrade the cable, to cardas or preferred third party. Hd800 cables have always been the weak link.

I think it's as much an open/closed difference as a dynamic/planar issue. And I don't see how an amp, or even a cable can impact bass that much.

If you want Audeze bass, go Audeze. But if you want 800 S accuracy and soundstage...

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #4,349 of 6,504
And I don't see how an amp, or even a cable can impact bass that much.

Really? You hear the same quality and quantity of bass with all the amplifiers you have listened to? Wish i was the same, would have saved myself a fortune...

Not what I meant. Of course I get different, well, everything with every amp I have owned/owned or even will own.

But, I don't know of any amp that will turn 800 S bass into Audeze bass. Do you actually disagree with that?

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,350 of 6,504
But, I don't know of any amp that will turn 800 S bass into Audeze bass. Do you actually disagree with that?

Why would i disagree with that? I already said you wont get that kind of planar bass with a dynamic driver. you can however tune and adjust hd800 bass response with various amps and cables.

Your reply said you didnt agree.

What a bizarre conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back