Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 24, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #271 of 6,504
  I thought I read where you have to do a lot of cutting and stuff of that nature? Truthfully I just stay away from those types of things since I'm the last person anyone would want doing them - shaky, nervous hands and a nervous attitude dealing with things.

Well in that case I suppose I could go for an HD800 and apply some mods. That is, assuming Senn will drop their price. If they don't think yeah I'll be sticking to existing plans.

Cutting of foam and felt sure, then all you have to do is just stick it inside the earcup the right way.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #272 of 6,504
Lots of folks here don't remember when flagship headphones were *really* expensive.  L3000?  Qualia?  R10?  Orpheus?  These weren't always mythical unicorns, they were new products purchased by enthusiasts.  The release of some of those predate Head-Fi, so purchasers didn't go anywhere to speculate on price, they just bought through a registered dealer and enjoyed them.

I look forward to hearing the HD800s, and I sincerely hope that they sound better than my current, beloved HD800.  If they do, I have some financial decisions to make.

As always, new headphones don't make your old headphones any worse.  HD650s sound as good today as they ever did, and they're cheaper, too.  Truly, there has never been a better time to be a headphone enthusiast.  You would not know it from reading this thread.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #273 of 6,504
  Lots of folks here don't remember when flagship headphones were *really* expensive.  L2000?  Qualia?  R10?  Orpheus?  These weren't always mythical unicorns, they were new products purchased by enthusiasts.  

But most if not all of those were announced from the beginning as being limited production runs.  Especially the Orpheus, like the SR-Omega + SRM-T2 that's in a different category than everything else.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #274 of 6,504

But most if not all of those were announced from the beginning as being limited production runs.  Especially the Orpheus, like the SR-Omega + SRM-T2 that's in a different category than everything else.

Does that seem like a material difference?  They didn't make them in limited quantities because they were tired of selling them, or anything.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #278 of 6,504
HD800S = HD800 + Sub-bass! 
L3000.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #280 of 6,504
I wonder if it will just replace the HD800, keeping the same MLP?

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #285 of 6,504
Absolutely agree. It's like they're (okay, we're) lambs begging to be slaughtered.
There is no reason this should be considerably more expensive than the original (except perhaps for the additional cable). It's not a new headphone, it's a tweak; hence the name.
However, the fact that Axel Grell made a point of stating that it does not sound different but in fact better has me slightly worried about the direction they'll be going with their pricing.

I just had a conversation with Summer at Hifiman about the proposed pricing on their new Edition X. I told her that I thought that pricing at $1,799.00 was a little high, that something between the price of their HE6 and the new HEK and slightly lower than the LCD-X, say $1,599.00. At that price point I thought they were still getting a premium for their technology and had a $300 retail price increase over the LCD-X. She responded that the feedback from attendees at RMAF insisted that $1,799.00 was what they should list the Edition X. Made me think briefly about to bi#$ch slap the weasels who "strongly suggested" this pricing at RMAF.....took a few breaths and figured if it wasn't a significant improvement over the LCD-X, then they lost one sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back