Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 24, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #287 of 6,504
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd650-replacement-lead-3m.html
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd650-xlr-connecting-cable.html

Can someone explain this?
Sennheiser recently understood  that can ask  much more to the headphones market

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #289 of 6,504
Where's the best place to read-up on modding the HD800? Walking through materials and what to do step-by-step is preferable.

I wanna see if this bumps down the price of the HD800. I kinda have a feeling that the HD800S is going to be slightly more expensive than the HD800 and the HD800 will just maintain it's current price though. Maybe a little $100 bump down or something and that's it.

That aside, I don't even really have the hardware to be prepared for a headphone of that magnitude. May be a bit more down-the-road for me.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #290 of 6,504
Where's the best place to read-up on modding the HD800? Walking through materials and what to do step-by-step is preferable.

I wanna see if this bumps down the price of the HD800. I kinda have a feeling that the HD800S is going to be slightly more expensive than the HD800 and the HD800 will just maintain it's current price though. Maybe a little $100 bump down or something and that's it.

That aside, I don't even really have the hardware to be prepared for a headphone of that magnitude. May be a bit more down-the-road for me.

Check out tyll's write up and video on nodding the HD 800 on innerfidelity.com

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #291 of 6,504

nope.  the presence of the sub bass kind of balanced off the hotter highs of the hd800.

I recently experienced this same phenomenon, but with different headphones.

It's pretty amazing what an ideally balanced bass response can do for the rest of the headphone's perceived FR!  
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #292 of 6,504
I don't get it. It's like people are kind of requesting higher prices. So many threads were the manufacturer is clearly expecting feedback on price by the community and suggestions of absurd prices start to pop up instead the opposite. Maybe I'm poor, or perhaps I'm just not satisfied about the direction the hobby is heading.

My exact sentiments. Yes these are niche products, but the pricing trajectory is becoming absurd.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #293 of 6,504

I recently experienced this same phenomenon, but with different headphones.

It's pretty amazing what an ideally balanced bass response can do for the rest of the headphone's perceived FR!  
wink.gif

Strong bass low-end allows using lower volume levels with the same perceived quality, so much less treble ends up piercing your eardrums.

Balance is everything.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #294 of 6,504

Strong bass low-end allows using lower volume levels with the same perceived quality, so much less treble ends up piercing your eardrums.

Balance is everything.

TRUUF!! 
atsmile.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #295 of 6,504
They had me with the black finish and slightly tweaked frequency response. Just hoping that this "acoustic absorber" doesn't compromise the other aspects that make the original HD800 a great headphone. I'd pay a reasonable premium for these things.

The bundling of the balanced cable signals Sennheiser's intent to charge a high premium for HD800S though. It reeks of a need to justify an increase that the market may reel against if the perception is just of a new coat of paint and the adaptation of cheap mods that achieve the same result. Hoping to be proven wrong here.

No doubt Summit-fiers will flock to the "S", but if Sennheiser is reasonable with pricing, this thing could be like the Summit-Fi version of the venerable HD6x0 - a headphone that makes a mockery of the offerings from companies chasing those "audiophool" dollars.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #296 of 6,504
Uhhhh ohhh might have to pick one of these up if there's more bass / less treble. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #297 of 6,504
If the price is comparable for a mod so many have been making to their product for years, then maybe I'll get one.  The one thing holding me back was the treble peak issue.  I hope they keep the price reasonable.  They admit themselves it is a mild upgrade in sound.  Smart option would be to keep price same and reduce HD800 100-200 dollars.  Headphone is getting a little long in the tooth with all the innovation in headphones the last couple years.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #298 of 6,504
... the feedback from attendees at RMAF insisted that $1,799.00 was what they should list the Edition X. Made me think briefly about to bi#$ch slap the weasels who "strongly suggested" this pricing at RMAF.....

if you ever manage to catch one of those price suggesting geniuses please add another slap for me .. and feel free to make it two :D

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #299 of 6,504
This!!

People here asked for higher prices, maybe we are indeed poor, even equipment here that goes for 600 are called entry level.
I don't get it. It's like people are kind of requesting higher prices. So many threads were the manufacturer is clearly expecting feedback on price by the community and suggestions of absurd prices start to pop up instead the opposite. Maybe I'm poor, or perhaps I'm just not satisfied about the direction the hobby is heading.

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #300 of 6,504
I think I am going to wait for the modded version of the 800S, that helps tame the boomy bass. Or rather, I will wait for the HD800Sx, which will be Sennheiser's answer to the modded 800S.

You know it's coming....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back