Sennheiser HD800 with ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX?
Mar 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #76 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The STX version is PCI-E and it has a separate connector to the PSU... Listen to it if you get a chance, you'd be surprised.

And the ST dont?

As i run SLI card i cant use my PCE-E, unless i remove 1 card

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #77 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the ST dont?

As i run SLI card i cant use my PCE-E, unless i remove 1 card

The ST is PCI, STX is PCI-E.

STX compatible with PCI-1x and greater, so you can put in any free PCI-E slot that you have. For example I have mine in the PCI-E 4x slot because that's the furthest from my video card.

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #78 of 118
Quote:

The ST is PCI, STX is PCI-E.

STX compatible with PCI-1x and greater, so you can put in any free PCI-E slot that you have. For example I have mine in the PCI-E 4x slot because that's the furthest from my video card.

Thanks for your reply

I have 2 PCI-E slots between the GFX cards, but i have 2 PCI slots i can use, so i wounder if the ST versjon also have a separate connector the to PSU?

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #79 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply

I have 2 PCI-E slots between the GFX cards, but i have 2 PCI slots i can use, so i wounder if the ST versjon also have a separate connector the to PSU?

Yes, you need a Molex connected to make it work.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #80 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you need a Molex connected to make it work.

Many thanks

I tryed my old DVD player as new source with analog to the receiver, and compared to the BD player and PS3 running HDMI, the sound now is more bassy with the HD650, like i am in a club. I am sure the sound would improve alot with the ST card or an dedicated amp

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #81 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh right, you're always such a good adviser
biggrin.gif

ppl need to use $2 IC's on a nasty ATX PSU, in a highly EMI polluted environment, w/ resampling drivers...is that my "preconceived notions" speaking? haha.

Quote:

you're a joke that has ceased to be funny anymore. lol

Quote:

Kinda getting sick of your mindless post leeperry. From STX, to HD2 to Spitfire now.

Every time you get a new item, you will bash the previous one mindlessly. You opinion for me is useless now, I still remember how much you praise the STX and HD2, and now bashing them like crazy.

Quote:

The point is not your bashing, its more of your contradicting opinions where one feature is really good for 2 weeks then you call it degrading sound quality.

They said it all really. Nothing left for me to input.

Aren't we all lucky to have leeperry around here guys? He's such a snarky wannabe witty troll.

Quote:

hehe, the STX has a lot of clowny fanboys

So does the CD1000/CD3000.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #82 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
such a snarky wannabe witty troll

oh now I'm the troll? I though you'd have grown wiser since the last time we spoke...but advising a $2.25 IC amp(on a nasty ATX PSU in an EMI inferno box) to feed a $1.5K phone is beyond noobishness...I really have to find a proper word...how does "retardationness" sound? I kinda like it
biggrin.gif

and I have to admit that I'm really flattered to have so many nayasayers against me, as Julius Caesar once said: "you recognize a man's greatness to the number of his enemies"
wink.gif

anyway, the OP is AWOL...all I can see so far is a bunch of fanboys Vs reasonable ppl verbal jousting...and we all know how it's gonna end, like all sterile debates do...fourth grade style
images

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #83 of 118
I'm late to the party, but the HD-800 really deserves a nice set of tubes.

Further, soundcards aren't of much use if you want to run vinyl, SACD or a quality FM tuner. All of which I use frequently.

If you want flexibility for sources and the best amplification, which the HD-800 deserves and responds to, then a soundcard is not a good choice. Some people with suspiciously close ties to the manufacturer will tell you otherwise, but I encourage people to attend a meet and try the HD-800 with a quality source and a quality amp.

Yeah, you'll have to spend some money and dedicate some room to your setup. Otherwise, you'll be running one of the best headphones in a compromised setup.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #84 of 118
Quote:

oh now I'm the troll? I though you'd have grown wiser since the last time we spoke...but advising a $2.25 IC amp(on a nasty ATX PSU in an EMI inferno box) to feed a $1.5K phone is beyond noobishness...I really have to find a proper word...how does "retardationness" sound? I kinda like it
biggrin.gif

and I have to admit that I'm really flattered to have so many nayasayers against me, as Julius Caesar once said: "you recognize a man's greatness to the number of his enemies"
wink.gif

anyway, the OP is AWOL...all I can see so far is a bunch of fanboys Vs reasonable ppl verbal joust...and we all know how it's gonna end, like all sterile debates do...fourth grade style
images

If you could actually comprehend what you read you would see for yourself that no one in this thread is actually advising and/or suggesting that the STX is a be all end all match for the HD800. No one is claiming it's anywhere close to being one of the best options available for the headphone. What they are saying is that the sound quality one gets from this pairing is more than satisfactory. Has anyone claimed it's the best they have heard? Nope. Not even close. I've said before that I use it in my office setup when I don't have access to the tube amp. Have I ever claimed it is superior to my home setup? Never.

What is annoying though is the amount of people in this thread that have absolutely no personal experience with the pairing, let alone the STX period, yet insist on making uninformed claims that a soundcard can't possibly drive a headphone well simply due to the fact that it is a soundcard. We are long past the days of the Soundblaster 16 gentleman, but the fact that ignorance is bliss will always be eternal.

Lastly, leeperry, what is this "last time we spoke" you're referring to? I have no idea what you're alluding to. Perhaps you should consider laying off the drugs for a bit? They are really affecting your brain.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #85 of 118
STX has an output of 7.03v at its 300-600ohms setting. That translates into 165mw at a load of 300ohms. That is satisfactory for most 300ohms headphones, even HD650. But HD800 has a recommended maximum power input of 500mw, so STX will not be able to drive HD800 at its full potential.

Unless of course someone comes up with a hack to increase power of output of STX or they release drivers which will allow one to do that, but HD800 with its price tag needs a powerful amp.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #86 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a soundcard is not a good choice. Some people with suspiciously close ties to the manufacturer will tell you otherwise

gordon%20shumway.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #87 of 118
Are we digging up old posts now. Are you collecting on posts you can use strategically or what?

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #89 of 118
Quote:

ppl need to use $2 IC's on a nasty ATX PSU, in a highly EMI polluted environment, w/ resampling drivers...is that my "preconceived notions" speaking? haha.

Tbh, some PSU's, such as Corsair branded PSUs, record quite low ripple (23 mW). but yeah, ATX standard is stupidly high at 80mW.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #90 of 118
Quote:

STX has an output of 7.03v at its 300-600ohms setting. That translates into 165mw at a load of 300ohms. That is satisfactory for most 300ohms headphones, even HD650. But HD800 has a recommended maximum power input of 500mw, so STX will not be able to drive HD800 at its full potential.

Unless of course someone comes up with a hack to increase power of output of STX or they release drivers which will allow one to do that, but HD800 with its price tag needs a powerful amp.

I'm not saying that the output is not enough to shake the drivers but... Your doin' it wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back