Sennheiser HD800 vs. Hifiman HE-6
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #61 of 79
Have you tried the He-6 yet Anax? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it (together with the super7 maybe =p)

Also the ring/resonance manifests into the treble peak of the Grado SRs right? What would happen if the peak fall into the bass region? 

I do agree with the speed part though. But my logic/formula is like speed + totl cans = can't really go wrong 
tongue.gif
 (with the exception of Stax; not that they sound bad, it's just not my cup of tea).

Edit: I just saw the other post, thanks for the explanation briskly.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:
Have you tried the He-6 yet Anax? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it (together with the super7 maybe =p)

I've heard it about 3-4 times w/ the Lyr, Burson 160, WA5, Headroom amp but never really under ideal circumstances to run through my test cd.  I have a few concerns that I'm not sure are coming from the source/amp side versus the actual phone.  I wouldn't feel comfortable offering an opinion about them.  If I ever get to plug in a pair with my Super7 and my 55 watt Sansui I'll share some impressions.  I seem to like how good SS amps grab Orthos in general though.  Sorry can't offer more than that.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #63 of 79
I actually seem to have found the solution to the mystery of the T1 canundrum of sounding 'melded' with extremely fast paced music! If you take a look at the measurements Tyll has made on innefidelity of the T1, you can se that its impulse response is not very punctual - It does not hit the first note very hard, and it resonates for quite long in comparison to others. This would explain why a lot of quick sounds in succession would appear to meld together: because the resonance in fact makes them do just that :) On the other hand, when you look at HD800 there is barely any resonance to speak of in comparison, which is why it sound so clean with the same fast music in comparison. So I think the HD800 is the headphone for me, along with the Rx Mk3 bass boost function...

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #65 of 79
Remember that Iphone is also built in China. Would you consider iphone is a poorly manufactured product?

Really... we're still discussing chinese production quality? Take the effin product, fool around with it, and if it feels like a solid build, then screw where its from! Or are you seriously going to assume you can generalize the production quality of products from a population of 1.500.000.000 people? If so, there aren't many nice things I got to say about you. China has produced a lot of crap and a lot of awesomeness. And the same goes for every country including Germany. Just look at the actual product instead of doing something that borders racism (I know germans aren't a race ^^). My 2 cents, cheers.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #66 of 79
Chinese companies are just  as capable of producing high quality products as any one else, its just a question of if they decide to do it.

Fortunately there are a number that do and these are the companies that produce high quality and high value products. Western companies can produce the high quaility but are far less likely to produce high value.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #67 of 79
Quote:
Chinese companies are just  as capable of producing high quality products as any one else, its just a question of if they decide to do it.

Fortunately there are a number that do and these are the companies that produce high quality and high value products. Western companies can produce the high quaility but are far less likely to produce high value.

I agree, Nigel. I admit that I do prefer to buy American, English, or German made products...but when I do purchase a product manufactured in China it clearly has less to do with ethnicity and more to do with the standards that a particular company/corporation establishes for their products. A couple of my recent purchases - Little Dot I+ amp and a Yaqin tube buffer - have fantastic build quality, especially at their respective price points.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #68 of 79
Apart from not hearing any of the speed issues mentioned I do remember reading a comparison review online a long time ago of the HD800's and T1's and the reviewer stated that the T1's were recommended for fast paced material,including rock, and were simply better than the HD800's for fast, dense music with the HD800's prefered for acoustic material.
I suppose it's the reason the T1's are normally recommended for rock over the HD800's. I am not saying the T1's are faster than the HD800's as I have never heard the HD800's but the T1's seem to keep up with the HE-6's very well IMO on speed and definition.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #69 of 79
Well, what i realized looking at the measurements, T1 here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf and HD800: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf Is that the T1 is in fact as fast or a very slight bit faster than the HD800 when it comes to actually hitting a note, however stopping again, the HD800 only resonates once, and thats over the course of 0,0002anyway, where as the T1 resonates noticably for almost 0,001 seconds, thats almost 500% longer, and thats with about 8 major peaks, compared to one or 2 on the sennheiser, that results in when you play VERY fast paced music, the T1 just can breathe, and never manages to get a black background or seperate the sounds properly, which the HD800 has no problems doing. However I can see why many would prefer the T1 for "normal" paced metal and rock etc. The music I'm talking about is stuff like Equilibrium or Children of Bodom, where the average tempo is just over the top, compared to say AC/DC, Metallica or even many relatively fast paced bands. So its probably a "freak accident" that Beyer couldn't have foreseen, but none the less, for that sort of music, the HD800 is the way to go. I will say though, compared to the T1, the HD800 does need a slight bit of bottom end boost to get the same body as the T1. Now to the topic at hand, I'm trying to figure out if the HE6 has that naturally :)

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #70 of 79
Quote:
Apart from not hearing any of the speed issues mentioned I do remember reading a comparison review online a long time ago of the HD800's and T1's and the reviewer stated that the T1's were recommended for fast paced material,including rock, and were simply better than the HD800's for fast, dense music with the HD800's prefered for acoustic material.
I suppose it's the reason the T1's are normally recommended for rock over the HD800's. I am not saying the T1's are faster than the HD800's as I have never heard the HD800's but the T1's seem to keep up with the HE-6's very well IMO on speed and definition.

I spent some time listening to Children of Bodom on my T1s, DT1350s, and Grado 500s today. The two main tracks I used were Blooddrunk and Follow the Reaper. The first thing I discovered was...even though I don't spend a lot of time with metal anymore, this is some very serious music played by some very talented musicians. These two tracks clearly gave my phones a workout, but I truly don't see anywhere that any of these phones tripped up at all. I guess whatever it is that is measuring that way isn't audible to my ears or it's something I don't find bothersome. Imaging seems quite good overall with centered vocals and clearly distinct instrumentation. The soundstage on my T1s was superior to the Grado 500s and the bass was more robust but I thought the 500s did great, as well. The 1350s have been impressing me every day since I bought them  a few weeks ago...just terrific portables. 

Anyway, to each their own...all I know is that I enjoyed my time listening to this band, cause that is some SERIOUS rock :)

I wish I had some HD800s and HE-6s on hand to compare...

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #71 of 79

I spent some time listening to Children of Bodom on my T1s, DT1350s, and Grado 500s today. The two main tracks I used were Blooddrunk and Follow the Reaper. The first thing I discovered was...even though I don't spend a lot of time with metal anymore, this is some very serious music played by some very talented musicians. These two tracks clearly gave my phones a workout, but I truly don't see anywhere that any of these phones tripped up at all. I guess whatever it is that is measuring that way isn't audible to my ears or it's something I don't find bothersome. Imaging seems quite good overall with centered vocals and clearly distinct instrumentation. The soundstage on my T1s was superior to the Grado 500s and the bass was more robust but I thought the 500s did great, as well. The 1350s have been impressing me every day since I bought them  a few weeks ago...just terrific portables. 

Anyway, to each their own...all I know is that I enjoyed my time listening to this band, cause that is some SERIOUS rock :)

I wish I had some HD800s and HE-6s on hand to compare...

Hmm... Its interesting, after reading your post I decided to give it a listen (I havent touched my T1 for a few weeks) and see if I could find it again, and I realized that I was thinking of the wrong tracks, and you're right, Children of Bodom is actually quite enjoyable on them though theres a hint of the problem, now if you step up the game to Dimmu Borgirs new album, Abrahadabra, then the first 3 tracks or so suffer from it. And I'm beginning to realize, not having the HD800 nor my Grados on hand anymore to compare to, it does become less noticeable, but i still, especially with the track Born Treacherous get that congested sort of "this could sound better..." kind of feeling. And yes, the DT1350 does quite well, and it should, when you look at its graphs in comparison which is quite curious. But yea, I may be the only one experiencing this, but its definitely there, and I'll find a solution. Meanwhile someone else may get the chance to enjoy the T1's :) It still annoys me incredibly that the HD800 aren't built more durably - It's really worrying me to the degree that its keeping me from just buying them...

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

Hmm... Its interesting, after reading your post I decided to give it a listen (I havent touched my T1 for a few weeks) and see if I could find it again, and I realized that I was thinking of the wrong tracks, and you're right, Children of Bodom is actually quite enjoyable on them though theres a hint of the problem, now if you step up the game to Dimmu Borgirs new album, Abrahadabra, then the first 3 tracks or so suffer from it. And I'm beginning to realize, not having the HD800 nor my Grados on hand anymore to compare to, it does become less noticeable, but i still, especially with the track Born Treacherous get that congested sort of "this could sound better..." kind of feeling.And yes, the DT1350 does quite well, and it should, when you look at its graphs in comparison which is quite curious. But yea, I may be the only one experiencing this, but its definitely there, and I'll find a solution. Meanwhile someone else may get the chance to enjoy the T1's :)It still annoys me incredibly that the HD800 aren't built more durably - It's really worrying me to the degree that its keeping me from just buying them...

Yep, that's why I really wish I had some HD800s here to compare, cause maybe the contrast would allow it to stand out a little more to me. The 1350s are just ridiculous...I truly had no idea they would be this good. I've actually listened to a few more tracks from Children of Bodom since I posted, and I think you've helped me become a new fan of them. This is the sort of music I wish I had back when I was playing football! We didn't do too bad since we had Ozzy to get us fired up, but some of this SoB stuff really gets your blood pumping! I know you mentioned them as an example of what you were hearing, but I appreciate you mentioning them nonetheless. I always enjoy hearing new stuff (new to me, anyway...I guess they've been around a bit?). 

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #73 of 79

Yep, that's why I really wish I had some HD800s here to compare, cause maybe the contrast would allow it to stand out a little more to me. The 1350s are just ridiculous...I truly had no idea they would be this good. I've actually listened to a few more tracks from Children of Bodom since I posted, and I think you've helped me become a new fan of them. This is the sort of music I wish I had back when I was playing football! We didn't do too bad since we had Ozzy to get us fired up, but some of this SoB stuff really gets your blood pumping! I know you mentioned them as an example of what you were hearing, but I appreciate you mentioning them nonetheless. I always enjoy hearing new stuff (new to me, anyway...I guess they've been around a bit?). 

Haha, right? When I first came across them, I was like "Death Metal....That sounds like, sort of happy? (ignoring the lyrics). Thats awesome!" Same thing with Equilibrium, especially the track Snüffel always gets me jumping around no matter what ^^ Ps: this thread is just all over the place when it comes to the topic... Do like! As for the DT1350 it almost worries me that Beyer releases it as a hard-to-come-by Pro audio item, and markets the t50p instead, which sound pretty terrible to me, instead. Because the DT1350 from a technical standpoint is just a much better headphone, where as the t50p is just tuned towards mass consumer junk-sound. (even more off topic).

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #74 of 79
Alright just did Gateways from Abrahadabra, I guess around 3:20 is when it gets busiest.  All the kick drums, guitars, high hats are separated easily.  Honestly, the song is a little slow for the HD800 and it begs for more tbh.  Children of Bodom gets picked apart cleanly but the imagining on the masters is pretty soft, the tracks are not mastered very well.  This is all via youtube which sounds god awful on my rig.

I'd recommend Limpbizkit, 'Take a look around' where the cymbal crashes want to collapse into each other.  They should be rendered clean and not as a wall of noise.  Also Green Days, 'American Idiot' is very clean and images/separates everything beautifully at all times.  You should be able to pick out every note on each instrument on the track.  The HD800 handles both beautifully and cleanly picking the pieces apart and not blobbing things up.  Use wave files or flac if you can.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Haha, right? When I first came across them, I was like "Death Metal....That sounds like, sort of happy? (ignoring the lyrics). Thats awesome!" Same thing with Equilibrium, especially the track Snüffel always gets me jumping around no matter what ^^Ps: this thread is just all over the place when it comes to the topic... Do like!As for the DT1350 it almost worries me that Beyer releases it as a hard-to-come-by Pro audio item, and markets the t50p instead, which sound pretty terrible to me, instead. Because the DT1350 from a technical standpoint is just a much better headphone, where as the t50p is just tuned towards mass consumer junk-sound. (even more off topic).

I didn't even know what death metal was until about four months ago...I had to wikipedia it lol. 

I agree about the t50p vs 1350...I came very close to ordering the former instead...that would have been a mistake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back