Sennheiser HD800 Updates!!!
Mar 29, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #301 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, you are right, i trawled through it did say march/april

mybad.

oh well they still have one month to come through
rolleyes.gif

That's the confusing part. Initially vendors told us (with some luck) late February, but more realistically late March [all the while taking pre-orders]! Then it got switched to March\April which appeared on the sennheiser USA site.
THEN word of LATE April started to appear, and at the same time the March\April line on the Senn USA site vanished! NOW we're hearing April\May, which yes it says that on the worldwide [weren't the european deliveries supposed to be a month later than USA deliveries????].. All the while complete LACK of official word from any Senn. rep here!! At this point its' safe to say no one has any idea when these things are going to ship, and I think no matter how great this things sound Senn has kinda shot themselves in the foot on this one, causing me to seriously reconsider any future purchases from them. I guess the same would be true for people who were caught up in the Westone 3 fiasco, but maybe the difference is that people weren't asked to pony up their dollars before actual shipment (?)

I understand delays, and all....But when announcing something like this, something that has been anticipated for years, you better be pretty damn close to rolling these things off the line and have all your sh** together before making such an announcement (and keeping us in the loop "officially" would be nice too!)..

I do blame Sennheiser for their crappy handling on the PR of these phones, we constantly get teaser videos\reviews, yet no communication on what's the ETA. Well, hopefully Tyll will be able to extract some info on April 2nd when he places his call, and I hope he makes it clear the frustration that is being displayed!

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #302 of 554
Maybe another way to have avoided this problem was to have Sennhesier ship the HD800 first to it's worldwide distributors, before the announcement and publicity campaign was made to the public; sort of as a consignment shipment. I truly don't know if Sennhesier would have shipped all 130 or so orders under this method; but perhaps 30 to 50 could have been shipped. Then once the distributors had them in hand, they could have started the publicity campaign as well as the ordering process. This seems to be a more logical business practice. Scottsmrnyc

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #303 of 554
I shudder and hesitate to think what actions the buyer or buyers can still take to voice their dissatifcation or their desire to still hang in with their purchases? To me High End Price means High End Service on On Time Delivery. Anything less is not acceptable. Scottsmrnyc

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #304 of 554
Additionally, it would be a great loss to Sennheiser if their HD800s were not ready to be auditioned in time for CanJam2009. They would certainly loose out on many additional sales. Scottsmrnyc

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #305 of 554
I don't see the big deal if they are late. Nobody has put any money down on these as far as I know, and certainly, nobody's life depends on them arriving on any kind of schedule, except maybe dealers, but then, dealers have other lines they sell.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #306 of 554
Slipping shipping dates are nothing new in this hobby. Obviously they did their job enticing us by having samples at the shows. Getting a complex, relatively small volume device into efficient production can be no easy task, especially if you don't want a high percentage of defectives/returns.

I would rather they get it right by the time mine ships, and I do have other stuff to listen to in the meantime. Its not like they are witholding air, water or food !

Get a life, enjoy it, and be happy when this (hopefully) special headphone shows up.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #307 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see the big deal if they are late. Nobody has put any money down on these as far as I know, and certainly, nobody's life depends on them arriving on any kind of schedule, except maybe dealers, but then, dealers have other lines they sell.

That's not entirely true...some ppl already paid for them (thinking about ppl who use Paypal), but at the end of the day it was their choice: I'd never use Paypal on a still to be released product, even with a given release date.
But I agree on the fact nobody's life depends on them arriving...the guitar example isn't a good example: a player absolutely needs the guitar to perform music and not getting it in time can cause troubles to his job. Now, what's the big trouble with an headphone? I'm sure 99.9% of ppl who ordered them already have something to listen to music at home.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #308 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much of an improvement will get over my HD 650s with the new HD800s.

501131826_s7ku5-L.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the veil that Sennheisser fans wouldn't admit existed?
tongue.gif

What veil?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather they get it right by the time mine ships, and I do have other stuff to listen to in the meantime. Its not like they are witholding air, water or food !

L3000.gif

All it takes is one of their suppliers upstream to have have a glitch and they're in trouble. I'd absolutely rather wait for product manufactured to their standard, than for them to rush something they really can't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a life, enjoy it, and be happy when this (hopefully) special headphone shows up.

I have no idea what the hold-up is, but I'm content to wait for the very expensive toy to be very right.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #309 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea what the hold-up is, but I'm content to wait for the very expensive toy to be very right.

I've found that when people want something real bad, that's generally how they get it. I want it real right.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #310 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found that when people want something real bad, that's generally how they get it. I want it real right.

Unfortunately the world is not that black and white, if we really were waiting for perfection then it would never be released. With that being said, I think it's not too much to ask for a little consideraton with regard to being kept in the loop instead of this magical movement of the drop date. I deal with (paying) customers and the one thing I think they appreciate is being updated when a deadline is no longer able to be met.

I hope AKG, Beyer, and others take good notes on this, I'm sure the HD800s won't be the only player in town for too long.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #311 of 554
A bit of common sense here.

Realistically, the HD800 is not going to be a silver bullet. Yes, it may be good: it may even be better than any headphone we have heard before - but perfection is not an attainable goal in hi fi of any sort. It will have its strong points and its weak points - just like every other expensive toy in the world. Some will prefer cheaper headphones to the HD800 and some will prefer other more expensive ones. At this price point so much comes down to personal preference - and who is to say what perfection is?

Does that mean it's not worth it? No.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #312 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that being said, I think it's not too much to ask for a little consideraton with regard to being kept in the loop instead of this magical movement of the drop date.

Maybe (I should probably say, "most likely"), they have no idea for sure when the problem will be solved. Like I say, it's probably one of their suppliers and they can't make a commitment they don't have control of.

I used to repair scanning electron microscopes, and when people asked when it would be fixed the answer was, "Thirty minutes after I figure out what's wrong." My guess is that Sennheiser is sort of in the same boat. When will the HD800s be here? Two weeks after they get the missing part in.

Okay, I'm gonna go do something else and not obsess about these cans.

byebye.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #314 of 554
Can we guess for fun?

I think that the powers that be realized that many of us already had aftermarket cables, and they are changing the conector on the 800s, so we can use our same cables.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #315 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we guess for fun?

I think that the powers that be realized that many of us already had aftermarket cables, and they are changing the conector on the 800s, so we can use our same cables.

Luckily StefanAudio is waiting for the final release before shipping the Voice cable I ordered.
beyersmile.png

Even if I have to say I wouldn't likely have gone into this 1000+$ cable area had my current Equinox cable been HD800-compatible. Not before reading some review/comparison at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back