Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Jun 25, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #601 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you people taking the HD800s into battle or something?
tongue.gif

Interesting that you ask that, as I was just listening to the 1812 Overture which is a 14+ minute battle, with Howitzer cannons, no less
wink.gif

Later, I will tell you how they fare with Tomita - "The Planets" where Mars invades other planets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll refrain from further comments since I haven't seen the Qualias in person. It could be similar as with the HD800 - the pictures don't do them justice. When you actually hold them in your hands they feel very nice...

Both have been in my ownership (I think that I was the first person on Head-Fi to own a pair of Qualias, trail blazer that I am), and I can say without any hesitation that both headphones are well built and well thought out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leona Plastic, by the way, has been around since 1972. Truly a space age material.

Newsflash:

manonmoon.jpg

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #603 of 902
circa 1996 k3oxkjo

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #604 of 902
I can't believe people are actually defending Sennheiser's use of plastic in a $1400 headphone. As for cost, the equivalent weight of the headphone in pure silver would be less than $100. If they were actually concerned with resonance they would have used a Sonex type pattern. A smart person would use a Ti-Ni wire frame (or another memory alloy) with a non-resonant surface shape. Plastic has a much larger surface area for an equivalent strength and would therefore reflect more sound. Basically, they made a product as cheap as possible and sold it for as much as they could. The guys that buy it are just on the front of the Laffer curve.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #605 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by UezeU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe people are actually defending Sennheiser's use of plastic in a $1400 headphone. As for cost, the equivalent weight of the headphone in pure silver would be less than $100. If they were actually concerned with resonance they would have used a Sonex type pattern. A smart person would use a Ti-Ni wire frame (or another memory alloy) with a non-resonant surface shape. Plastic has a much larger surface area for an equivalent strength and would therefore reflect more sound. Basically, they made a product as cheap as possible and sold it for as much as they could. The guys that buy it are just on the front of the Laffer curve.

You mix up inner damping with sound absorption.

Another one who's trying to defend the use of metal because it looks so precious and is allegedly more expensive.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #607 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mix up inner damping with sound absorption.

Another one who's trying to defend the use of metal because it looks so precious and is allegedly more expensive.
rolleyes.gif

There you go defending the use of plastic in a $1400 headphone. For a given size and a flat surface plastic would be better than metal at sound absorption. Should I have prefaced my comment with that Smarty-pants? You attack my comment obtusely showing your lack of ground to stand on.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #608 of 902
Quote:

Uh...they could be made from paper mache for all I care....they are the best sounding headphones of all time....CASE CLOSED

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #609 of 902
Quote:

There you go defending the use of plastic in a $1400 headphone.

Yes. Surprised?
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

For a given size and a flat surface plastic would be better than metal at sound absorption.

Sound absorption isn't the issue here. Leona plastic is used because of the good inner damping, not sound absorption properties. The HD 800 is a completely open headphone, therefore no sound absorption takes place – apart from the foam covering the drivers serving for damping standing waves between membrane and skin.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #610 of 902
Quote:

Basically, they made a product as cheap as possible and sold it for as much as they could. The guys that buy it are just on the front of the Laffer curve.

Wow, you were actually able to put down a large group of people in one fell swoop.

"Cheap as possible" and "sold it for as much as they could"? Do you always talk in absolutes? Black and white with no possibilities of gray?

I'll call Mensa and alert them that they have a new candidate for their club
rolleyes.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #611 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you always talk in absolutes?

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. - Obiwan

Anyway, I think the problem is you just can't please everybody. If they used super-expensive whatever, people would say, "It's just expensive bling-bling and not about sound quality. Why didn't you use plastic, check out how good this space-age plastic is at dampening vibration at random% of the cost."

How about Sennheiser give away free HD800 and please everybody heheheh.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #612 of 902
Quote:

Wow, you were actually able to put down a large group of people in one fell swoop.

"Cheap as possible" and "sold it for as much as they could"? Do you always talk in absolutes? Black and white with no possibilities of gray?

rolleyes.gif

I really don't see it as an insult. I also like your little sly comment at the end. I am not sure why I even bothered to post in this thread. By the way, you are an idiot and nobody will ever love you. (I'll be a little more direct with my personal attacks)

Inner dampening, sounds fancy-technical. I'm not going to argue.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #613 of 902
Quote:

I really don't see it as an insult. I also like your little sly comment at the end. I am not sure why I even bothered to post in this thread. By the way, you are an idiot and nobody will ever love you. (I'll be a little more direct with my personal attacks)

Inner dampening, sounds fancy-technical. I'm not going to argue.

BTW UezeU, with your last three comments you have broken the 100 post barrier and are now a 100+ head-fi'er! Congratulations!

And thanks for making them so memorable...
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #614 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW UezeU, with your last three comments you have broken the 100 post barrier and are now a 100+ head-fi'er! Congratulations!

And thanks for making them so memorable...
beerchug.gif

Thank you. I might have crossed a line there but in the words of kindergartners everywhere, "He started it."

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #615 of 902
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Yeah, don't you love how the people that often can't afford a product like to bash it?

But that's okay... let them live in their ignorance while we enjoy one of the world's best headphones. The only other headphone I'd really like to have to complement the HD800 is the R10, but maybe a nice stat as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back