Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 30, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #8,716 of 8,807
Not sure because I'm not an insider but hd800s production cycle is almost at the end of its live and in a year or so a new replacement will come up, something like hd900pro at 2.5k euro or $3k
I checked CES 2024 and senn only got wireless headphone and earbuds coming out later this year.

May 1, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #8,721 of 8,807
Interesting, how would you compare hd800s with lcd3?
For me, 800S is smooth, slightly sweet, transparent, with the well known width and depth. In comparison, LCD-3 initially seems slightly smaller and darker. But after a couple hours, all the detail and more is there, including realistic timbre of all instruments, including a great bass foundation, without being bloated. I tend to listen to one can for a week or so, not switching back and forth a lot.

May 1, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #8,722 of 8,807
For me, 800S is smooth, slightly sweet, transparent, with the well known width and depth. In comparison, LCD-3 initially seems slightly smaller and darker. But after a couple hours, all the detail and more is there, including realistic timbre of all instruments, including a great bass foundation, without being bloated. I tend to listen to one can for a week or so, not switching back and forth a lot.
Very interesting, I must try lcd3 soon

May 1, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #8,723 of 8,807
Not sure because I'm not an insider but hd800s production cycle is almost at the end of its live and in a year or so a new replacement will come up, something like hd900pro at 2.5k euro or $3k
I asked the official Sennheiser distributor in Poland about the HD900. Below is the answer:
"From what we know, HD 900 is not expected anytime soon :)"

hd800s production cycle is almost at the end of its live - I dont believe it. HD800 its like HD600.
Info too good to be true.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #8,724 of 8,807
I asked the official Sennheiser distributor in Poland about the HD900. Below is the answer:
"From what we know, HD 900 is not expected anytime soon :)"

hd800s production cycle is almost at the end of its live - I dont believe it. HD800 its like HD600.
Info too good to be true.
Of course they'll not tell you since is not official yet. Just wait and I'll ask you about next year.

May 1, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #8,726 of 8,807
Seams like zmf is for upper midle class people who is in his midle age crisis
How have you described me so perfectly?

But seriously, it just depends what you listen to. The more genres you listen to the more headphones you need!

May 1, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #8,728 of 8,807
How have you described me so perfectly?

But seriously, it just depends what you listen to. The more genres you listen to the more headphones you need!
For what it's worth, I think there's probably something in this. I don't listen to genres other than classical but accept that the phones I've enjoyed over the years are often not preferred by those who listen to other kinds of music - and phones recommended by those same people are often (in my opinion) simply dreadful. I'm convinced we're not all looking for even remotely the same thing when it comes to phones.

Re classical music (and I would guess most recordings of acoustic instrument performances) I would also suggest that, if you find the HD800S appealing, you're unlikely to be satisfied with planars or e-stats. Having owned a wide range of phones that's been my experience - and the experience of others I know. I find the SR-009S, Susvara and Elite good - for example - polite and tidy. But they don't present information like dynamic speakers - and there's more to accurately reproducing instrument timbre I think than can be achieved by planar membranes. Amplification for e-stats is also expensive and limited in range. If you're like me, you will ultimately find planars and e-stats devoid of life. Once again, for what it's worth, if you're attracted to the HD800S presentation but interested in other possibilities there are other (cheaper) options more likely to please. Beyerdynamic and Focal are interesting - although significantly less convincing I think than the HD800S. The only other current model I find competitive is the Audio Technica ADX5000 - it does seem to offer something extra with some recordings. It's comparable to the HD800S in terms of cost (at least in Australia) - so perhaps worth an audition. That said, I would be inclined to stay with the HD800S and spend the money saved on good recordings.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #8,729 of 8,807
For what it's worth, I think there's probably something in this. I don't listen to genres other than classical but accept that the phones I've enjoyed over the years are often not preferred by those who listen to other kinds of music - and phones recommended by those same people are often (in my opinion) simply dreadful. I'm convinced we're not all looking for even remotely the same thing when it comes to phones.

Re classical music (and I would guess most recordings of acoustic instrument performances) I would also suggest that, if you find the HD800S appealing, you're unlikely to be satisfied with planars or e-stats. Having owned a wide range of phones that's been my experience - and the experience of others I know. I find the SR-009S, Susvara and Elite good - for example - polite and tidy. But they don't present information like dynamic speakers - and there's more to accurately reproducing instrument timbre I think than can be achieved by planar membranes. Amplification for e-stats is also expensive and limited in range. If you're like me, you will ultimately find planars and e-stats devoid of life. Once again, for what it's worth, if you're attracted to the HD800S presentation but interested in other possibilities there are other (cheaper) options more likely to please. Beyerdynamic and Focal are interesting - although significantly less convincing I think than the HD800S. The only other current model I find competitive is the Audio Technica ADX5000 - it does seem to offer something extra with some recordings. It's comparable to the HD800S in terms of cost (at least in Australia) - so perhaps worth an audition. That said, I would be inclined to stay with the HD800S and spend the money saved on good recordings.
I agree with your approach.
My HD800S is back in it's box since I bought the AA Composer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back