Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 17, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #8,131 of 8,746
I might be going crazy, but I think I solved the hotspot issue (at least for me, it would be nice if someone could confirm...)

So, loving the hd800s', but can only where for 1 hr at a time because it feels like something is trying to gnaw into the very top of my skull. Bearing in mind that I have a proper melon like head, it is not unusual for me to experience various fitment issues. I have tried various headband pad replacements / mods, with little relief.

Well, oddest thing thing just happened. My partner (normal size head :upside_down: ) had been using the headphones. She thinks they cost me £200 (because I lied to her). After she had finished, I popped them on for a quick music session, forgetting to extend them to the max, as I normally wear them. They felt "odd", but then they always do.

The thing is, the headpad is now is contact with much more of my head, than when at max extension....and no hotspot pain! As an experiment, I extended to full & hotspot was back, but the weird thing is, the headpad wasn't actually touching the top of my head at all! I can only describe this as a "phantom hotspot", caused by pressure on the lower jaw (?) which in turn is increased as the headband is extended down the sides of head.

Am I the first or (probably) the last person to discover this? Not sure if I'm an idiot or genius! Asked my partner, but she has years of experience that bias her opinion :)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #8,132 of 8,746
I am enjoying 800S more on my M3 using Staccato discrete opamp (SE) than either of the CFA3s or GSX2 (XLR). I may want to pull out my Beta22 from the box and try that with 800S. 800S sounded fuller with more bass grunt on M3 and the upper mid is more relaxed sounding. The overall sound signature is warm and inviting without sacrificing sound stage or detail.

Dec 18, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #8,133 of 8,746
In a week I will join the group of HD800S owners. I would like to ask who my system will serve? LUMIN U2 + Musician Aquarius + violectric dha v590 mk2. I plan to plug the factory 4.4mm cable of the hd800s into the amplifier. does the hd800s driver have a run-in time? if so how much?

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #8,134 of 8,746
In a week I will join the group of HD800S owners. I would like to ask who my system will serve? LUMIN U2 + Musician Aquarius + violectric dha v590 mk2. I plan to plug the factory 4.4mm cable of the hd800s into the amplifier. does the hd800s driver have a run-in time? if so how much?
A few days max if played 24/7 at slightly elevated SPL. When you get the 800S in the right system you will hear liquid but transparent mid, silky highs and full, punchy and deep bass with good bass extension. In the wrong system you might as well stick with 660S2.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #8,135 of 8,746
I’d say 5 minutes but hey, whatever

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #8,136 of 8,746
I might be going crazy, but I think I solved the hotspot issue (at least for me, it would be nice if someone could confirm...)

So, loving the hd800s', but can only where for 1 hr at a time because it feels like something is trying to gnaw into the very top of my skull. Bearing in mind that I have a proper melon like head, it is not unusual for me to experience various fitment issues. I have tried various headband pad replacements / mods, with little relief.

Well, oddest thing thing just happened. My partner (normal size head :upside_down: ) had been using the headphones. She thinks they cost me £200 (because I lied to her). After she had finished, I popped them on for a quick music session, forgetting to extend them to the max, as I normally wear them. They felt "odd", but then they always do.

The thing is, the headpad is now is contact with much more of my head, than when at max extension....and no hotspot pain! As an experiment, I extended to full & hotspot was back, but the weird thing is, the headpad wasn't actually touching the top of my head at all! I can only describe this as a "phantom hotspot", caused by pressure on the lower jaw (?) which in turn is increased as the headband is extended down the sides of head.

Am I the first or (probably) the last person to discover this? Not sure if I'm an idiot or genius! Asked my partner, but she has years of experience that bias her opinion :)
“Phantom Hotspots —- a 21st century tragedy!” 😎

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #8,137 of 8,746

I usually leave it for 1 day, 2 days max while playing music on your usual listening volume

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #8,138 of 8,746
Hey there, I recently purchased a pair of HD800S and was looking for some aftermarket cable recommendations with 4.4mm termination, preferably one that doesn't change the stock sound too much. The included cable is absurdly long for my needs, I'm looking for something that's standard cable length between 4-5ft. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #8,139 of 8,746
Hey there, I recently purchased a pair of HD800S and was looking for some aftermarket cable recommendations with 4.4mm termination, preferably one that doesn't change the stock sound too much. The included cable is absurdly long for my needs, I'm looking for something that's standard cable length between 4-5ft. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Skyaudio cables.

Dec 21, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #8,141 of 8,746
What about the stock senn XLR cable? Sounds pretty good to me.

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #8,143 of 8,746
What about the stock senn XLR cable? Sounds pretty good to me.
Mine came with the 4.4mm and 6.35mm termination cables, not sure if the XLR cable Senn included with early serial number units was of manageable length. The length is what's more of a bother rather than the termination, but a 4.4mm plug is preferable. Will check out Audiophile Ninja cables as suggested by another member, Skyaudio seems to be out of the HD800 cables, the only one that's out of stock on their website. :confused:

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #8,144 of 8,746
Anyone had experience of washing the stock pads or headpad ? Don't want to make an expensive mistake 😁 other cleaning method?

Are they Alcantara?

No. Damp cloth only.

The manual does state that you can wash the moulded/perforated ear guard things in warm water though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back