Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 18, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #8,087 of 8,764
Grew up in mtl, left at 18 after the first separation referendum. It took some time but all leaf fan now, not that self inflicted remorse on that move hasn’t reared its head since 2009. I made it on globe n mail and cbc sports page as a paper bag wearer in acc at their lowest.
I was about to say the same thing. : )
Unlike my brothers I'm not a sports fan but the Rocket could not be ignored in our household. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #8,088 of 8,764
Grew up in mtl, left at 18 after the first separation referendum.
Grew up in Halifax and my 3 brothers and Dad were Hab fans and I was a Leaf fan go figure.
Anyway all that changed after graduating in 75 and I moved to Montreal, Habs all the way then. The 1976 Cup was one to remember and I got to shake hands with Lafleur and Ken Dryden. : )
To find work I also had to leave in 82 and landed in TO.

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #8,089 of 8,764
Science and physics to develop drivers and a quarter of a million in a device just to measures its frequency behaviour... blasphemy. :sunglasses:
That is a more reliable (and responsible) method to design or improve drivers and headphones, than using ears only. A "collaboration" of machines and ears until they reach unanimity must be the goal.

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #8,090 of 8,764
I've seen a few posts about people having a DAC into amp setup with the HD800S

I'm curious what amps you would recommend in the £400-1000 price range and also how big a difference this makes since I thought one of the points of the mojo2 was for it's amplification?

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #8,091 of 8,764
Just get the official Senn amp - you can find those used for around $1k.

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #8,092 of 8,764
I've seen a few posts about people having a DAC into amp setup with the HD800S

I'm curious what amps you would recommend in the £400-1000 price range and also how big a difference this makes since I thought one of the points of the mojo2 was for it's amplification?
I use the RME ADI-2 FS and its PEQ option works wonders with the HD800s.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #8,095 of 8,764
I love my HD800s, and they’re amazing for music. For primarily movies, though, I would go with the Sony MDR-Z1R. The rumble (and also the detail and clarity) is great for movies/shows.

***edit - I meant to respond to the above post.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #8,096 of 8,764
I am totally wowed by the hd800s. I was deterred from buying as I had no way of trialing them & horror stories about lack of bass & excessive treble.

It might be my old ears (mid 50s), but I find the treble to be excellent. Bass is fine, not a bass head, primarily listen to jazz. No need for eq as of yet, might tinker later.

1 question, there is a large gap in the seal, front / level to top of ears / both sides. This is caused because my cheekbones seem to avoid the cup laying flat. I have tried closing the gap by pushing the cups into my head, but I cannot hear a difference in sound. Perhaps I need plush pads to fill the gap?

Any advice / recommendations welcome.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #8,097 of 8,764
I am totally wowed by the hd800s. I was deterred from buying as I had no way of trialing them & horror stories about lack of bass & excessive treble.

It might be my old ears (mid 50s), but I find the treble to be excellent. Bass is fine, not a bass head, primarily listen to jazz. No need for eq as of yet, might tinker later.

1 question, there is a large gap in the seal, front / level to top of ears / both sides. This is caused because my cheekbones seem to avoid the cup laying flat. I have tried closing the gap by pushing the cups into my head, but I cannot hear a difference in sound. Perhaps I need plush pads to fill the gap?

Any advice / recommendations welcome.
Congrats and glad that you are enjoying them. I bought them when they were first released and always appreciated them but never truly enjoyed them. Now I'm listening for enjoyment and not just appreciating their technical qualities, they are one of my favorites.

As for the gap I wouldn't worry about it. These headphones are not made for tight clamp and I really don't think it is something to be concerned about. My head is not that large and mine fit somewhat loose compared to other headphones but it has not been an issue. You can press down on the side of the cups to see if it makes any difference for you.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #8,098 of 8,764
Congrats and glad that you are enjoying them. I bought them when they were first released and always appreciated them but never truly enjoyed them. Now I'm listening for enjoyment and not just appreciating their technical qualities, they are one of my favorites.

As for the gap I wouldn't worry about it. These headphones are not made for tight clamp and I really don't think it is something to be concerned about. My head is not that large and mine fit somewhat loose compared to other headphones but it has not been an issue. You can press down on the side of the cups to see if it makes any difference for you.
Thanks for the reply.

My head is larger than most & these feel loose on me. I do most of my "serious" listening in bed for an hour before sleep, so no risk of them falling off, perhaps the occasional slide.

Very odd about the gap, it doesn't appear to alter the sound at all.

I listen to 90% jazz & expected that to sound fantastic, what surprised me was other genres. Last night I was listening to Radiohead with the hd800s & it has never sounded better to me.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #8,099 of 8,764
Thanks for the reply.

My head is larger than most & these feel loose on me. I do most of my "serious" listening in bed for an hour before sleep, so no risk of them falling off, perhaps the occasional slide.

Very odd about the gap, it doesn't appear to alter the sound at all.

I listen to 90% jazz & expected that to sound fantastic, what surprised me was other genres. Last night I was listening to Radiohead with the hd800s & it has never sounded better to me.
We have similar musical taste I think. I listen to a lot of jazz also. But also classical, folk/american, some pop etc. On a good tube amp the 800s can do many genres of music quite well. Listening to Beck: Sea Change and Radiohead: Moon Shaped Pool yesterday and I thought they sounded just great.

Did you buy your 800s used or new. My pair was purchased new and I think the clamp is stronger on a new pair.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #8,100 of 8,764
I got them used. They had been traded in to a hifi shop & they had put them up on eBay. Excellent condition. Made in Germany sn 20494, so I think they are quite old.

Only odd thing...I got 2 sennheiser usb sticks included in the box! I have not plugged in either yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back