Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 10, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #7,981 of 8,813
This is my HD800S from 2018. Made in Germany...

freqresp_clean.png

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #7,983 of 8,813
Hey guys, just got my HD800S yesterday. I am running it with my btr7 and it does great with the 4.4 output and balance boost. However, I am looking for another dac/amp for my pc, ideally, something small I can move around if I wanted to. I am considering the jds labs element iii mk2 or the mojo 2. Has anyone tried them both?

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #7,984 of 8,813
Listening to the HD800S with Lavricables Grand and Envy + Elrog TM300B + different driver tubes. Strings/Guitar sound amazing on it.

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #7,985 of 8,813
Hey guys, just got my HD800S yesterday. I am running it with my btr7 and it does great with the 4.4 output and balance boost. However, I am looking for another dac/amp for my pc, ideally, something small I can move around if I wanted to. I am considering the jds labs element iii mk2 or the mojo 2. Has anyone tried them both?
For scale and throat, I’d consider starting with TT in the chord line up. imo

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #7,986 of 8,813
Mojo 2 👍.

Later on TT2 😊

Aug 17, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #7,987 of 8,813
Vissaeux 6J5G driver tubes are a good combo with the HD800s. Adds some warmth without blunting the treble. I like it.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #7,988 of 8,813
Hi, guys. I recently had the chance to compare the Hifiman HE1000 V2 stealth with the HD800s. I was expecting that the HE1000 V2 stealth would be somewhat a planar version of the HD800s but that wasn't the case in my opinion.

First of all, I'll start saying that the HE1K V2 stealth is a very good headphone for the price. It has great technical capabilities and a tuning that works with pretty much every genre. The dynamics have been improved and they don't sound soft like other Hifimans that I've tried in the past.

That said, whenever I compare it to the HD800s, the timbre just sound off an artificial on the HE100V2 stealth.
I know that most planars struggles with timbre, Final Audio D8000 Pro/LE being the only exception that I can think of, but I was expecting a bit more in that regard from the V2 Stealth.

On the HD800s, real instruments sound more natural and enganging. Violins, pianos and guitars give me the chills and emotional connection in the Sennheiser, but I cannot find that on the Hifiman, althought I gave it a fair chance.

Tuning is bright on both headphones, but on the HE1000V2 I get some metalic glare that I don't get on the HD800s.

Im not a person that chooses headphones because of the soundstage, cause they are headphones at the end of the day and recordings are usually what makes the difference. However, I was expecting a wider presentation from the HE1000V2. Not like the soundstage is small, but it's rather taller than wider and sometimes it gets weird and also, presentation feels kind of floaty and lacking precission at times.
HD800s soundstage and imaging is just in another level in my opinion.

Again, the HD800s surprises me and tells me that newer isn't always means better, at least not for me.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #7,989 of 8,813
You have to EQ all HE series cans from HFM to correct their tonal response. 800S also needs correcting, but not to the same extent. Also, HE series also benefits from speaker amp or equivalent power headphone amp (not about loudness in case that's the question). 800S not so much

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #7,990 of 8,813
You have to EQ all HE series cans from HFM to correct their tonal response. 800S also needs correcting, but not to the same extent. Also, HE series also benefits from speaker amp or equivalent power headphone amp (not about loudness in case that's the question). 800S not so much
Im quite into EQ and made a parametric EQ for the HE1000V2 Stealth using techpowerup measurement as reference. I also use my HD800s with EQ, but for the comparison, I used both at stock cause I feel that It's not fair to compare both with my personal EQ.

I managed to adapt the tonal balance of the HE1000 V2 to my preferences but event with EQ, the timbre just sounds better on the HD800s to my ears. I don't mean that the Hifiman timbre is terrible or anything, it's good and you get used to it, but it feels off to my ears when comparing with the HD800s, Fostex biodynas and even with the Utopias and OG Clears, which I have at home atm.

However, I can see a lot of people prefering the V2 stealth over the HD800s, as it is a better all rounder and the better bass extension makes it more suitable than the Sennheiser for modern and upbeat genres.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #7,991 of 8,813
Im quite into EQ and made a parametric EQ for the HE1000V2 Stealth using techpowerup measurement as reference. I also use my HD800s with EQ, but for the comparison, I used both at stock cause I feel that It's not fair to compare both with my personal EQ.

I managed to adapt the tonal balance of the HE1000 V2 to my preferences but event with EQ, the timbre just sounds better on the HD800s to my ears. I don't mean that the Hifiman timbre is terrible or anything, it's good and you get used to it, but it feels off to my ears when comparing with the HD800s, Fostex biodynas and even with the Utopias and OG Clears, which I have at home atm.

However, I can see a lot of people prefering the V2 stealth over the HD800s, as it is a better all rounder and the better bass extension makes it more suitable than the Sennheiser for modern and upbeat genres.
surprisingly good and I thought they were another computer review site looking to cash in on the portable craze.

I agree with the assessment. Focal cans can be surprisingly tonally accurate with just some minor EQ (close enough without EQ) - definitely requires less work than 800S. The Achilles' heel of 800S is the sub bass and to a lesser extent not as full mid bass (this can be remedied somewhat with a high Z output amp).

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #7,992 of 8,813
surprisingly good and I thought they were another computer review site looking to cash in on the portable craze.

I agree with the assessment. Focal cans can be surprisingly tonally accurate with just some minor EQ (close enough without EQ) - definitely requires less work than 800S. The Achilles' heel of 800S is the sub bass and to a lesser extent not as full mid bass (this can be remedied somewhat with a high Z output amp).
Yeah, I was shocked to find that they are also doing measures now. Always thought of them as the typical consumer tech reviews. Kudos to them.

I agree. I spent years years going back and forth with various Focal models, specially the OG Clears, but always ended up selling them cause I had upgraditis and was always on the search for Holy Grail. Now that I know that such thing doesn't exist and have tried and compared a plethora of headphones, the Clears OG have become one of my reference headphones, specially with EQ.

As you said, the sub bass is the main problem for me on the HD800s. It can be improved with EQ but it just can't match the bass extension and slam of some planars or the punch that Focal/ZMF/Fostex headphones have.
The acoustic design of the HD800s and the bass distortion just makes it impossible. But it's such an unique HP that I don't care about it anymore and bass sounds decent to me with a 6db shelf.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #7,993 of 8,813
a good music server really helps without eq, IMO

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #7,994 of 8,813
On the HD800s, real instruments sound more natural and enganging. Violins, pianos and guitars give me the chills and emotional connection in the Sennheiser, but I cannot find that on the Hifiman,
Sennheiser's very good at that, have yet to hear any HiFiman (still on my bucket list, unless I kick the bucket 1st) but I have a similar problem with all the Focal I've tried, great dynamics but.........

The Achilles' heel of 800S is the sub bass and to a lesser extent not as full mid bass
We've all come to expect and love more sub bass, funny thing though, with all the live music I've been trying to take in I've yet to hear anything that has more bass than the HD800S is able to reproduce. lol

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #7,995 of 8,813
Sennheiser's very good at that, have yet to hear any HiFiman (still on my bucket list, unless I kick the bucket 1st) but I have a similar problem with all the Focal I've tried, great dynamics but.........

We've all come to expect and love more sub bass, funny thing though, with all the live music I've been trying to take in I've yet to hear anything that has more bass than the HD800S is able to reproduce. lol
I would find a 9ft concert Steinway and bang some C1 cord and let me know if you think 800S can reproduce the bass you hear/feel accurately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back