Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 7, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #8,015 of 8,828
Sep 8, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #8,018 of 8,828
Just bought hd800s not bad headphones, but very overhype, soundstage is not so big as people describe and don't go outside the ears also pretty muffled sound
The HD800S are anything but muffled....Did you buy these new, unused?
i found that there is rattle bass sound on around the 70 to 300 frequencies is it normal or the headphones just distorted sound
What equipment are you using....definitely not right....sounds like the driver mylar membrane is vibrating against something, possibly the protector got pushed in slightly.
I would take off the pads and and inner material and try the test again.
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 8.37.05 AM.png

Worst case scenario....replacement drivers are available.
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/official-sennheiser-hd800s-replacement-ear-capsule-each.html

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #8,019 of 8,828
The HD800S are anything but muffled....Did you buy these new, unused?

What equipment are you using....definitely not right....sounds like the driver mylar membrane is vibrating against something, possibly the protector got pushed in slightly.
I would take off the pads and and inner material and try the test again.
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 8.37.05 AM.png

Worst case scenario....replacement drivers are available.
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/official-sennheiser-hd800s-replacement-ear-capsule-each.html
the unit is new, i have removed the foams didn't see debris or hair i think its happen because the driver is vibrating and touching the protection foam of the driver itself tho this issue dont happen on normal listening lvls but still i have other headphone that i tested on that this issue didnt happen and i have tried different amps and cables but the issue still remain.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #8,020 of 8,828
Return it

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #8,023 of 8,828
i have other headphone that i tested on that this issue didnt happen and i have tried different amps and cables but the issue still remain.
Nothing to do with amps or cables it is a mechanical malfunction.
i will try return it i hope they will respect the 14 day refund
Or at least an exchange.

Just a note...we have no idea how loud you are playing and extremes of any sort will eventually be the downfall for any piece of equipment, the HD800/S are probably one of the most precision made drivers manufactured with rigerous quality control but not immune to unreasonable forces.

There have been other reports though....
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/lhpa5q/hd800s_distortionvibration_at_high_volumes/

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #8,024 of 8,828
Im out atm so won't be able to try it until tomorrow. Will let you know as soon as possible.
I just tried the first 5 minutes on my HD800s and had got no issues. Even pushing it above my usual listening levels. Either you are pushing it way too louder or your unit is flawed. Id return it to avoid any problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back