Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 23, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #8,041 of 8,828
Maybe this,.

IMG_3869.png
Thank you for this I will try and create that within Roon .
Is this the settings that will do what i am trying to do? Take the treble and give a bit of a bass boost ?

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #8,042 of 8,828

Another enlightening unbiased HD800S review..... :dt880smile:
Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 12.10.40 PM.png

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #8,044 of 8,828

Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 12.10.40 PM.png

He is the kind of audiophile who "listens" by looking at FR curves.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #8,045 of 8,828
He is the kind of audiophile who "listens" by looking at FR curves.
Don’t believe it has anything to do with audio, he just likes to be annoying…. to anyone who is older than 18 that is.:sunglasses:

To qualify as an audiophile one has to have a period in their lives where they sacrificed everything in sake of a piece of equipment. :slight_frown:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #8,047 of 8,828
Believe he may have gone over the top in the other direction. lol
It’s all in his head 🤣

I think 800S is fairly priced. It’s the other cans that are overpriced.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #8,049 of 8,828
Just got the Senn XLR cable for the 800S and now running balanced from the GSX Mk2. The combination of the NewOntech DAC and GSX is making the 800S sound really nice. The top end is smoother and more extended. The mid is slightly warm, very inviting, and natural, and I even got palpable macro dynamics, slam and bass performance from the 800S.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #8,050 of 8,828
My set up as well, insert chord TT and DHC prion 4 balanced to hd800S. The other avenue to explore cash be willing, is xlr specialty cables between dac and gsx mk2, I noticed a significant pop using audioquest fire interconnects but I’m sure there are other premium cables to try. Imo

Oct 7, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #8,051 of 8,828

He doesn't even know how to wear a headphone with inclined drivers like the HD-800S! He places the headband towards the back of his head, unsuspected of possible sound alteration caused by the drivers firing from a wrong angle. He obviously cares more about not spoiling his hairdressing! (3:19) :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
Did he really say that the soundstage is like meander? (8:19)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #8,053 of 8,828
surprisingly good and I thought they were another computer review site looking to cash in on the portable craze.

I agree with the assessment. Focal cans can be surprisingly tonally accurate with just some minor EQ (close enough without EQ) - definitely requires less work than 800S. The Achilles' heel of 800S is the sub bass and to a lesser extent not as full mid bass (this can be remedied somewhat with a high Z output amp).

Their reviews had been about objective measurements for a few years now, IMHO they are the best video card reviewers in past 10 years.(one reason is they review so many cards with same standard so making comparing them so much easier). For past few years, they are my go to place for mouse review too as they have real data for me to check.

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #8,054 of 8,828
Im quite into EQ and made a parametric EQ for the HE1000V2 Stealth using techpowerup measurement as reference. I also use my HD800s with EQ, but for the comparison, I used both at stock cause I feel that It's not fair to compare both with my personal EQ.

I managed to adapt the tonal balance of the HE1000 V2 to my preferences but event with EQ, the timbre just sounds better on the HD800s to my ears. I don't mean that the Hifiman timbre is terrible or anything, it's good and you get used to it, but it feels off to my ears when comparing with the HD800s, Fostex biodynas and even with the Utopias and OG Clears, which I have at home atm.

However, I can see a lot of people prefering the V2 stealth over the HD800s, as it is a better all rounder and the better bass extension makes it more suitable than the Sennheiser for modern and upbeat genres.

I am the opposite, I found them both to be amazing EQed. Without EQ the HEK Stealth is just better to me, one key part is it has very neutral bass extension while being very tight and have more than enough impact to balanced out the treble. It is also my fav HE1000 include the SE.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #8,055 of 8,828
He doesn't even know how to wear a headphone with inclined drivers like the HD-800S! He places the headband towards the back of his head, unsuspected of possible sound alteration caused by the drivers firing from a wrong angle. He obviously cares more about not spoiling his hairdressing! (3:19) :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
Did he really say that the soundstage is like meander? (8:19)
Not just 800s, an idiot like him who puts headband to back of his head should not be listening to headphones, much less reviewing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back