Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #7,996 of 8,828
Sennheiser's very good at that, have yet to hear any HiFiman (still on my bucket list, unless I kick the bucket 1st) but I have a similar problem with all the Focal I've tried, great dynamics but.........

We've all come to expect and love more sub bass, funny thing though, with all the live music I've been trying to take in I've yet to hear anything that has more bass than the HD800S is able to reproduce. lol
Ok I'll caveat that money is a thing, but i checked out all the hifimans from he6 to susvara. I wasn't in need of a bass cannon so he 6 was out, susvara was the best of breed i tested and had it for a week. Even with a 30% discount in the end couldn't pull the trigger. Sure its smooth harmonious nature was appealing but the snap, realism, and even bass response of hd800S ( i have a great music server) made most genres, more to my liking. Sure there's trade offs, hd800S isn't perfect, although i haven't heard what is yet, but it actually threw me for a loop. An 8000$ HP couldn't bump my 1800$ hd800S. The only thing that might is a new senn flagship. But i think they are stumped how to make this thing better and still be in the affordable flagship price point. Just IMO

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #7,997 of 8,828
I would find a 9ft concert Steinway and bang some C1 cord and let me know if you think 800S can reproduce the bass you hear/feel accurately.
I have my stereo for that. 🙂
Seriously though, deep bass is felt not heard. the HD800S can play the lower notes, just not with any visceral effect.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #7,998 of 8,828
I have my stereo for that. 🙂
Seriously though, deep bass is felt not heard. the HD800S can play the lower notes, just not with any visceral effect.
We need more bass :beerchug:

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #8,000 of 8,828
how are hd800s vocals performance and brightness lvl compared to hd6xx and he1000 stealth i had to retuen bunch of headphones because i didnt enjoy thier vocal performance and were too bright compared to the hd6xx.
Haven't heard the Stealth but with regards to the 600 series one has to keep in mind the 800/S are a very different presentation, they are not an upgrade to the 6s and if that is what you are looking for you will be disappointed. The 600 relatively speaking are very intimate and warmer in comparison, the 800/S are for those, like myself, wanting a more spacious but analytical and at arms length portrayal of the recording and performers.
If you are looking for a more modernized version of the HD600 I'd recommend giving the HD660S2 a listen.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #8,002 of 8,828
how are hd800s vocals performance and brightness lvl compared to hd6xx and he1000 stealth i had to retuen bunch of headphones because i didnt enjoy thier vocal performance and were too bright compared to the hd6xx.
800S has very good excellent/SOTA vocals; mid range has very good to excellent micro dynamics, resolution, smoothness, openness and transparency, all with fairly accurate voice timbre. The mid is a clear step up from HD650 and very much equal to (and may even be a step up from) HEK, but with better default tuning. HEK has a slightly better weight to the music notes so you get a more grounded vocal as a result - the obvious reason is HEK can go down to 20hz flat whereas 800S rolls off bass and sub bass pretty hard. You should pair 800S with a musical dac (don't get a dac that sounds "hi-fi") and a warm (but powerful) solid state or tube.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #8,003 of 8,828
I lurked here for a few months before snagging a pair of 800S. The least I can do is give my feedback...

TL;DR: they've rendered all of my open back headphones obsolete. I should have bought these years ago.

Without restating everything all the good things that have been said about the 800S, I will just say what they aren't:

1) I don't find them overly bright. I am pretty treble sensitive, and feared the worst, but my fear of brightness turned out to be overblown.

2) They are not too clinical sounding. Their mids are wonderfully layered and musical.

3) They aren't bass shy. With just a bit of an EQ boost, I am perfectly happy with them. Do they have the deep bass impact of my ZMF Atticus - not quite. But for most music, I don't miss that last bit of bass.

4) I don't have any comfort issues - I barely feel them on my head.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #8,004 of 8,828
Just want to report an exceptionally synergistic combination, to my ear, that I've recently discovered with the HD 800S -- Yggdrasil+ OG -> Folkvangr -> HD 800S. Just beautiful, engaging, lively, with no excess brightness. Yggy+ OG is engaging but musical and helps maximize the HD 800S's excellent imaging and separation, while Folkvangr's tube presentation has both warmth and "oomph" to make performances lively yet non-fatiguing and helps counteract some of HD 800S's sterility.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #8,005 of 8,828
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #8,007 of 8,828
just bought hd800s not bad headphones, but very overhype, soundstage is not so big as people describe and don't go outside the ears also pretty muffled sound, bass seem to be good enough not as bad as some reviews said about the bass. vocals also large and tuned very good i dont feel the headphones are bright i say they more warm then bright i had the arya v3 and he1000 stealth now this headphones are like 3 times brighter sounding to my ears arya v3 had better soundstage on all sides and did sometime went outside of my ears also separation was better but the overall sound was tuned very off to my ears vocals were really bad even 10 dollar headphones sounded better in vocals then arya v3 to my ears, overall i think hd800s is tuned very well i wish it had abit more soundstage imaging sometime also feel abit blurry but still better then my hd6xx..

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #8,008 of 8,828
i found that there is rattle bass sound on around the 70 to 300 frequencies is it normal or the headphones just distorted sound i did eq some bass up so u can hear the issue it also happen with no eq but much lass but still happens is it faulty unit or hd800s bass need to be ed down so it wont happen?

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #8,009 of 8,828
i found that there is rattle bass sound on around the 70 to 300 frequencies is it normal or the headphones just distorted sound i did eq some bass up so u can hear the issue it also happen with no eq but much lass but still happens is it faulty unit or hd800s bass need to be ed down so it wont happen?

That's defo not normal. My HD800s with a 7,5 db bass shelf never made that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back