Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 22, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #6,287 of 8,813
No word and how can they improve this price point. They might add a new higher price point, but that’s speculation. It’s all speculation on my part

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #6,289 of 8,813
From a marketing perspective let’s think about it. The hd800S won’t be replaced, maybe ever, unless something technologically significant developed in hp tech that improves the whole experience. I d suggest a whole new pp say twice the price or more would make sense if the experience was twice as enjoyable as hd800S is now. Now I’m speculating don’t have a clue about r&D but the flagship now is fair priced at 2 g or less. The orphious sic at 50,000G is the next level up. So gigantic chasm between 2-50 G.
concerning shuffling up in tech like they did in 800s. Well who knows but I’d suggest that all was done to make the S as best it could. Leap aside

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #6,290 of 8,813
From a marketing perspective let’s think about it. The hd800S won’t be replaced, maybe ever, unless something technologically significant developed in hp tech that improves the whole experience. I d suggest a whole new pp say twice the price or more would make sense if the experience was twice as enjoyable as hd800S is now. Now I’m speculating don’t have a clue about r&D but the flagship now is fair priced at 2 g or less. The orphious sic at 50,000G is the next level up. So gigantic chasm between 2-50 G.
concerning shuffling up in tech like they did in 800s. Well who knows but I’d suggest that all was done to make the S as best it could. Leap aside

The HD800S is superb (especially with the Stefan Audio Arts mod) and compares well with everything out there except the very most expensive (like the HiFiMan Susvara at $6000). I think that the 800S takes driver-type technology about as far as it can get, using the ring diaphragm design which appears to be unique to Sennheiser.

The next step for Sennheiser would supposedly be some variant of the planar magnetic technology that has already crowded the field with very many designs. Maybe Sennheiser doesn't want to bring out a "me too" product and is waiting to produce another radically different variation or an entirely new technology.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #6,291 of 8,813
The HD800S is superb (especially with the Stefan Audio Arts mod) and compares well with everything out there except the very most expensive (like the HiFiMan Susvara at $6000). I think that the 800S takes driver-type technology about as far as it can get, using the ring diaphragm design which appears to be unique to Sennheiser.

The next step for Sennheiser would supposedly be some variant of the planar magnetic technology that has already crowded the field with very many designs. Maybe Sennheiser doesn't want to bring out a "me too" product and is waiting to produce another radically different variation or an entirely new technology.

The planar technology is not necessarily superior, I have tried the Hifiman Arya (with THX 789) which is similiar price, and I consider it a sidegrade at best. If my Sennheiser broke, I would probably buy the Sennheiser again.

What I did not like in the Arya is that the vocals sounded a tiny bit unnatural, a bit OFF. The Sennheiser has more realistic, more natural vocals I think.

On the other hand the bass impact is bit better on the Arya. Anyways I like the HD800S better, but some may prefer the Arya. (Both are equally comfortable and ugly looking)

The Arya is more relaxing, the Sennheiser is more clear, matter of preference.

Electrostatic designs may be superior, but not the planar. I could try Stax headphones (SR-007 probably), I know a place, but it may be an expensive trip, so I'd rather not.

Edit: I have also tried the Focal Clears, they are beautiful, probably more suitable for most people, very nice sound, and doesn't require EQ (that much) or some special amp (that much). Probably better in bass. Better accessories too. Only downside is the smaller soundstage compared to Sennheiser and slightly heavier. If there is some special amp which improves the soundstage on the clear, I may switch to the clear, I like them so much. :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #6,293 of 8,813
Hello,

I am looking for a mobile DAC/AMP combo or a DAP to drive my Sennheiser 800s properly. I don't have the space for a desktop AMP/DAC. I have searched a lot and didn't find the right answer.
I am interested in the Kann Alpha. While some people say it will easily work with the headphones, others say the opposite.
iFi just came out with the Diablo, which should be the most powerful DAC/AMP at the moment. But I didn't read any reviews yet.
At the moment I use a iFi Hip-Dac which is really nice for my Grado GH2, but not perfect for the Sennheiser.
So any advice would be very helpful.

I forgot. I use the HD800s with the 4.4mm balanced cables.

Thank you very much!
Marc

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #6,294 of 8,813
Hello,

I am looking for a mobile DAC/AMP combo or a DAP to drive my Sennheiser 800s properly. I don't have the space for a desktop AMP/DAC. I have searched a lot and didn't find the right answer.
I am interested in the Kann Alpha. While some people say it will easily work with the headphones, others say the opposite.
iFi just came out with the Diablo, which should be the most powerful DAC/AMP at the moment. But I didn't read any reviews yet.
At the moment I use a iFi Hip-Dac which is really nice for my Grado GH2, but not perfect for the Sennheiser.
So any advice would be very helpful.

I forgot. I use the HD800s with the 4.4mm balanced cables.

Thank you very much!
Marc
I have used my H800S' with my FiiO M11 that accepts 4.4mm balanced. Sounds quite good though not like my Jot 2.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #6,299 of 8,813
Can anyone comment on the speed of the HD800S? Are they fast? Maybe compared to stats?

I have both the HD800S and the HE1000se. The HE1000se is extremely fast, transparent and resolving, but a little edgy in the highs due to some HF peaks. I have not listened to the best electrostatics, but the "received wisdom" is that the HE1000se approaches the speed and resolution of them.
The HD800S is just a little slower and less resolving than the HiFiMan, but without the HF edginess, and is a smidgin more musical.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6,300 of 8,813
I've had my HD800S pair for over a year now and love them as a backup pair for classical, some ambient and metal, where I mainly use my Final D8000 for electronic and rock/ pop.
I have recently got an amp that offers a balanced XLR option, so am thinking of trying this with the Sennnheisers. Is there a good convertor anywhere that I can add to the 4.4mm cable that came with them or do I have to buy an entirely new set of cables with XLR termination?
Also, what's the consensus on the dekoni leather pads? Do they offer an sq improverment/ difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back