Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #6,122 of 8,813
I've found the original earpads to be the better out of any replacement, including Dekonis. While the materials may seem appealing, the thickness essentially puts a wall around your ears and reduces soundstage width and therefore, imaging.

The originals do however, benefit from a slightly better seal. A thin amount of memory foam solves this, but depends on what your goals are (and level of fussiness). My 2 cents anyway :)

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #6,123 of 8,813
I demoed the 800S Sunday and I was blown away!

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #6,124 of 8,813
I demoed the 800S Sunday and I was blown away!
Great headphones, I‘m still burning my new set in and it’s getting better. They don’t sound as cold as they did right out of the box.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #6,125 of 8,813
I've found the original earpads to be the better out of any replacement, including Dekonis. While the materials may seem appealing, the thickness essentially puts a wall around your ears and reduces soundstage width and therefore, imaging.

The originals do however, benefit from a slightly better seal. A thin amount of memory foam solves this, but depends on what your goals are (and level of fussiness). My 2 cents anyway :)

Thanks for that. When you say you installed memory foam, where and how? I think a better seal or a slightly more comfortable fit would make all the difference for me.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #6,126 of 8,813
Thanks for that. When you say you installed memory foam, where and how? I think a better seal or a slightly more comfortable fit would make all the difference for me.

Hi networkn. I can give you a much better visualization with pics in the next day or two when I get the pads re-stitched (need the master sower aka grandma lol). Atm, im using a low rebound, high compression mem foam 1cm thickness, cut to 2mm wider than the earpad frame (both inner and outer diameter)with edges rounded. It sits between the frame, and the microfiber. The only real goal is to create minimum height, but fills in all the contours when wearing. With this setup, and any foam mods for that matter cut to the earpad frame diameter, is reduced contact area (you feel a dense ring around your ears). Cutting the foam to the width of microfiber works, but reduces soundstage.

What im playing around with now is a steep taper from the inside diameter of the earpads to the outer diameter. When compressed, the pads feel like stock, but seal great. This however, is inside the material, hence the re-stitching. Sitting underneath the microfiber doesnt give enough strength and making a template to stick the foam onto is more rigid than the foam. When placed inside, the microfiber holds it all together well. If you were to go to this extreme, its best to mod a new pair to have a backup.

I can be terrible at being succinct without over explaining, so apologies in advance. :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #6,127 of 8,813
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #6,128 of 8,813
Who in this thread gone through all or many TOTLs and ended coming back to HD800S ? And if so why?

Me. Owned LCD4, Susvara, AB 1266 Phi TC and came back to HD800S. DAC is 780D and amp 430HAD, both Moon by Simaudio.

Also tried Meze Empyrean, Sony’s flagship, ZMF Verite, HEDDphone, and a few other flagships, on my gear. None were worth switching for.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #6,129 of 8,813
Me. Owned LCD4, Susvara, AB 1266 Phi TC and came back to HD800S. DAC is 780D and amp 430HAD, both Moon by Simaudio.

Also tried Meze Empyrean, Sony’s flagship, ZMF Verite, and a few other flagships, on my gear. None were worth switching for.

What made you do this ? Did you find HD800S bass lacking especially compared to others you have there like susvara and TC ?

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #6,130 of 8,813
What made you do this ? Did you find HD800S bass lacking especially compared to others you have there like susvara and TC ?

Curiosity, and a search for slightly less intrusive upper mid range and treble. I adore the bass, actually. There’s something I like about all of those other headphones but none presents the music overall as pleasingly as the Sennheiser and at all volumes. The one headphone I owned for many years which I felt was a good complement was the PS1000e. I wish I hadn’t sold it. Just that bit sweeter a sound but overall still not as technically proficient.

I think I have a problem in the form of my gear, though. My amp has a bloomy sound which works well with the HD800S (very well) but I think underserves some other headphones, most notably the already bassy and less forward LCD4. I just had the internals of the amp replaced to try and rectify what I thought was a defect but the problem remains. I’ll run the amp in more and see what happens. The 430HAD at my local audio store doesn’t seem to have the same issues.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #6,131 of 8,813
Curiosity, and a search for slightly less intrusive upper mid range and treble. I adore the bass, actually. There’s something I like about all of those other headphones but none presents the music overall as pleasingly as the Sennheiser and at all volumes. The one headphone I owned for many years which I felt was a good complement was the PS1000e. I wish I hadn’t sold it. Just that bit sweeter a sound but overall still not as technically proficient.

What did you not like about susvara and TC?

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #6,132 of 8,813
What did you not like about susvara and TC?

All I can say is that, on my amp, the music just didn’t hang together as nicely. I guess you’d call that a combination of imaging, soundstage, and microdynamics? With the HD800S, you can really hear and feel the music, all layers of it, without cranking the volume up to deafening levels: those other two headphones didn’t seem to possess the same quality and I never felt I enjoyed the music with them, the one exception being classical on the Susvara (but at too high a volume to be feasible long term).

I’ve also had my HD800S for years and they’re very well worn in, if that’s even a thing. I don’t quite remember feeling this way about them when I first bought them. They seemed too laid back and uninvolving then. But then again I came from the much more forward PS1000e. I think switching between different sound signatures like that requires time for the brain to adjust.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #6,133 of 8,813
Is there a recommended EQ for the HD800S that works with APO Equalizer? (ideally config file I can import) Something widely considered to improve the sound etc?

I found one, but I am unsure if I configured it correctly. Here is the table I found :

eq table.jpg

and what I set in APO

eq set.jpg

Have I done it correctly?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #6,134 of 8,813
What amp/dac and music? You didn't find lacking in low end?

I run my HD800s thru the Flux FA-10 amp (pure class A, 2x16w @32ohm, 2x1.7w @300ohm) and Chord Mojo DAC.

I don’t understand why so people find 800s lacking in bass, having a thin sound, not musical, clinical, artificially wide, etc. : 800s is nothing like this, quite the contrary !!!

I have or had HE6se, Sundara, Fidelio X2, Kennerton Vali, Beyerdynamic Amiron.

You want a wonderful headphone? Get a 800s.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #6,135 of 8,813
I run my HD800s thru the Flux FA-10 amp (pure class A, 2x16w @32ohm, 2x1.7w @300ohm) and Chord Mojo DAC.

I don’t understand why so people find 800s lacking in bass, having a thin sound, not musical, clinical, artificially wide, etc. : 800s is nothing like this, quite the contrary !!!

I have or had HE6se, Sundara, Fidelio X2, Kennerton Vali, Beyerdynamic Amiron.

You want a wonderful headphone? Get a 800s.
Agreed, if there is bass in the track the HD800S's presents it very well. The bass is just not "on" all the time like some headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• jaxz
Back