Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 10, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #4,908 of 8,761
Attended Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and finally got a chance to hear these bad boys for the first time. Out of all of the headphones I sampled these really stuck out in particular. Does anybody know of any cans that have a bigger soundstage than these? Wow! I'd love to get my hands on a pair for home use. They did seem very source dependent though, otherwise I could imagine them bringing out any imperfections (for better or for worse) in the track.

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #4,909 of 8,761
Bigger? Probably not.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4,910 of 8,761
No surprise there! I wish the Sennheiser booth had the original HD 800 there to sample alongside the S. They seemed to be selling very well as they didn't have anymore on hand and were only taking orders. Is there anything the non-S model does better?

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,911 of 8,761
No surprise there! I wish the Sennheiser booth had the original HD 800 there to sample alongside the S. They seemed to be selling very well as they didn't have anymore on hand and were only taking orders. Is there anything the non-S model does better?

No. Unless you like a 6K treble spike right into your brain.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #4,912 of 8,761
Doesn't sound particularly pleasant! I've heard the original is super picky as for what amplifier you use with it. Have you found the S model to be as well?

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #4,913 of 8,761
They seemed to be selling very well as they didn't have anymore on hand and were only taking orders. Is there anything the non-S model does better?
800 has a deeper scene, have higher quality low frequencies and better high frequencies.
This is about listening to Sennheiser HDV820

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #4,914 of 8,761
Doesn't sound particularly pleasant! I've heard the original is super picky as for what amplifier you use with it. Have you found the S model to be as well?

Not at all. The S does still have elevated treble, but it doesn’t have any narrow peaks and valleys, so it’s a very high quality treble without any sibilance. It also has a higher quantity of bass than the 800, so you don’t need to throw gobs of power at it to try and bring that out.

I think the S sounds good from a multitude of amps and it doesn’t matter if they’re tubes or solid state.

The most recent eye opener for me was how good the S sounds directly from the Audioquest Cobalt. I 100% know that the Cobalt is under-powering them, based on its specs, but it still sounds great! In fact, I prefer it to my Ifi Micro BL which is tremendously more powerful. Go figure.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #4,916 of 8,761
From my experience with both, the 800 has a cleaner/tighter mid-bass and crisper treble. The 800S has a more diffuse bass (causing a noticeably warmer tonality) and more depth in upper mids and treble. Mids/vocals are presented a bit more forward/intimate with the 800S.

800sdr has less treble and bit more warmth than the 800 but at a significant reduction in soundstage and some transparency.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #4,917 of 8,761
It also has a higher quantity of bass than the 800

They 're just quantifiably bigger, but the quality is worse.
Again, it concerned a ligament with Sennheiser HDV820.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #4,918 of 8,761
From my experience with both, the 800 has a cleaner/tighter mid-bass and crisper treble. The 800S has a more diffuse bass (causing a noticeably warmer tonality) and more depth in upper mids and treble. Mids/vocals are presented a bit more forward/intimate with the 800S.

800sdr has less treble and bit more warmth than the 800 but at a significant reduction in soundstage and some transparency.

I don’t disagree with this comparison, but let’s be very clear when you say the 800S bass is diffuse. It may not be quite as nimble as the 800, but that is also because the 800 bass is so anemic. The 800S bass is not wooly or loose in any sense. It is very tight and articulate but more meaty than the 800 for sure.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #4,920 of 8,761
I don’t disagree with this comparison, but let’s be very clear when you say the 800S bass is diffuse. It may not be quite as nimble as the 800, but that is also because the 800 bass is so anemic. The 800S bass is not wooly or loose in any sense. It is very tight and articulate but more meaty than the 800 for sure.

Of course I was saying that in comparison with the 800. Compared to say the Focal Clear or ZMF Aeolus, the 800S has cleaner bass tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back