1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by shabta, Jan 19, 2016.
First

Back
319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328
330 331 332 333 334 335
Next

Last
  1. Revolution1
    More quantitative and not so fast.
    This creates a sense of amorphous bass.

dmdm likes this.
  2. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Sure there are, K1000, Abyss AB-1266 Phi & Phi TC, Susvara, and the RAAL SR1a to name some. :) But the HD800/800S have some VERY impressive sound staging...even after all of these years, they still very much impress me.

dmdm likes this.
  3. S Crowther
    Ultrasone ed.10

4. dmdm
    I prefer the non S version for most music. The original 800 is outstanding.

5. dmdm
    I disagree. I find this comment that I've heard over and over to be an exagerration. The 800 is much more engaging to me versus the S, and I own them both. This is my opinion of course as this is all subjective.

6. dmdm
    I find that the original 800 has better bass compared the the S.

7. dmdm
    I disagree. The 800 bass is not anemic.

8. dmdm
    I listened to a variety of music last night with the 800, and I didn't once have the urge to reach for the S. The 800 is definitely my preference right now between the two.

9. Hifiearspeakers
    You can prefer whatever you want, but it’s not an exaggeration. If what you just said was factual, then Sennheiser wouldn’t have had a reason to make the 800S. The 800S was designed to improve upon the flaws of the 800 that bothered and still bothers so many people; with the the number one reason being the 6K treble peak.

10. dmdm
    Like I said, this is subjective, and I prefer the 800. People here asked for opinions about the two models, and that's mine. It's all good.

11. Whazzzup
    Evidently lots of hp are bigger

12. TYATYA
    Me too, who think 800 has a tighter and cleaner bass.
    It's bass real as comes from an open bafle speaker.

dmdm likes this.
  13. prymortal
    No thinking involved It does have cleaner & tighter bass. HD800s has a dirty distortion sound to it's bass that's clear as day, you can hear it go through the whole sound signature with a A/B test of nearly any other headphone.
    There's some other noticeable differences that the HD800 outshines the HD800S, Small But noticeable. Only time it doesn't & that treble peak is an issue that i've found is for Rock & Metal music, HD800s wins here no Question. Jazz & some electronic is debatable by preference.

When i see people say "Boo Hoo Treble Peak" without specific reference to Rock or Metal that's a reg flag!
    (Although the Massdrop THX does actually work ok with rock/metal from experience Vs the NFB1 which makes it Horrible.)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  14. Hifiearspeakers
    This is complete BS. The distortion in the bass for both models is never greater than 1%. And the difference between them is less than .5%. They both have great bass for a dynamic driver. The only audible difference is quantity.

Second of all, the Helmholtz resonator doesn’t just reduce the 6K peak, it also reduces and eliminates SEVERAL resonances and ringing issues with the 800.

And a treble peak at 6K is a treble peak period. It doesn’t matter what genre of music you are listening to. The genre isn’t going to change the frequency response of a headphone.

Again, you all can prefer whatever you want, but objective facts aren’t debatable.

Youth, Deftone, Ichos and 1 other person like this.
  15. prymortal
    Really? I wonder where i got my Facts From?
    [​IMG]
    Now show me yours.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    dmdm likes this.
First

Back
319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328
330 331 332 333 334 335
Next

Last