Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,166 of 8,761
Not that its a test song, but my last depeche download, don't listen to them much anymore

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #3,167 of 8,761
I just picked up these cans, the HD800S, and coming from He-500's, combined with a Chord Mojo I found with some tracks these cans can make drums sound weak, low quality and distorted.

In the song, "This is me" from the soundtrack "The greatest showman ensemble", at 1:30, the kick drum sounds like its struggling and appears to be distorting. The soundstage appears very small. When listening on my he-500's or even Oppo pm1s, this track sounds much more alive, wider and has energy.

Please take a listen on your HD800S -

Is it my Chord Mojo? The mastering of the track? Combination?

I like these cans but it seems I can only play classical to enjoy them, as anything else seems to lack the body of what my other planar magnetic cans offer.

You do need to give your brain some time to get adjust, just sayin..

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3,168 of 8,761
You do need to give your brain some time to get adjust, just sayin..

I picked up a Questyle 600i. It has a bit more oomph in the bass department, with excellent clarity. A good match for the Hd800S.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #3,169 of 8,761
Well ch and TT both have line level out if you want to use that assigned voltage out. Hugo only has rca, TT offers balanced xlr out. You can vary the voltage by adjusting volume, but either way Hugo amp is bypassed.
The amp is not bypassed. It's line level. Not Line out. you're still double amping. I confirmed this with a Chord representative at Can Jam Singapore. It was the same case with Mojo, and as is with Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #3,170 of 8,761
The amp is not bypassed. It's line level. Not Line out. you're still double amping. I confirmed this with a Chord representative at Can Jam Singapore.

@Rob Watts can you please settle this question once and for all. If the hugo is being used with the rca out are you double amping if running rca out into another amp? or is the hugo amp bypassed?

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #3,171 of 8,761
I sold my hdv 820 and picked up a rogue rh-5 that i am now using with the hugo 2 and the hd 800S. more spacious and airy for jazz and classical but less tight for rock etc. a decent trade off as most of my listening is jazz and classical. thinking of trying some audeze for hip hop and more bass oriented music. i also recently ordered a new balanced cable for the hd 800S made by signal cable.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #3,172 of 8,761
It’s by passed I thought, but maybe not as there is no amp stage with chord. It does not matter you can vary line level out.

@Rob Watts can you please settle this question once and for all. If the hugo is being used with the rca out are you double amping if running rca out into another amp? or is the hugo amp bypassed?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,174 of 8,761
How good is the scalling of the HD800S in balanced mode with the stock cable, compared to single ended?
that depends on the system end to end. As we know balanced doubles the voltage so in itself, there is your scale. However if you controlled for everything technically no. I don’t use stock cable but I went balanced and hd800S scales nice.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #3,175 of 8,761
Just bought the HD800Ss and they're definitely a notable upgrading coming from the HD800, even with the great sdr modding.

They are way warmer, bassier, and more musical and fun than its illustrious predecessor. I didn't expect such a huge difference, tbh. They are absolutely non fatiguing, not a bright headphone at all!

They'rre butter out of my Moon 230had, let alone out of the DarkVoice.

Btw, the soundstage doesn't suffer at all with these changes, if anything is deeper, rounder and more coherent with the HD800S, without losing nothing in width and clarity.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #3,177 of 8,761
Just bought the HD800Ss and they're definitely a notable upgrading coming from the HD800, even with the great sdr modding.

They are way warmer, bassier, and more musical and fun than its illustrious predecessor. I didn't expect such a huge difference, tbh. They are absolutely non fatiguing, not a bright headphone at all!

Btw, the soundstage doesn't suffer at all with these changes, if anything is deeper, rounder and more coherent with the HD800S, without losing nothing in width and clarity.

I own a pair of HD800S and love them. I heard the HD800S and the HD800 at RMAF CanJam on the same amp at the Senn booth. I thought the HD800S clearly sounded better. More balanced and clarity with the musical lines.

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #3,178 of 8,761

I listened the HD800 on various systems before bought HD800S and when i put them on for the first time was a big surprise how warm and pleasant the sound was,i really love them from the first listen,best purchase of my life.

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,179 of 8,761
Man.... maybe its your gear changed too? Difference between both is quite noticeable, but not massive? Could be new amp or dac that brought more difference?

Same gear. The difference was absolutely noticeable within the first 20 seconds of listening the HD800S. A classical Haydn symphony, to be precise. Better soundstage, better layering, better separation. No need to burn in to notice the major difference. Way smoother and warmer, more engaging, I 'm astounded indeed. If I had known the HD800S were so superior I would have grabbed them way before!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #3,180 of 8,761
Same gear. The difference was absolutely noticeable within the first 20 seconds of listening the HD800S. A classical Haydn symphony, to be precise. Better soundstage, better layering, better separation. No need to burn in to notice the major difference. Way smoother and warmer, more engaging, I 'm astounded indeed. If IIwould've known the HD800 were so superior I would have grabbed them way before!

You may have meant to say HD800S in last sentence. This better layer and separation you describe really unravels otherwise obscure musical details. Details in the musical structure. Not so much details like the breath of a singer which the HD800 already had in spades, but details of the composition and masterful interweaving of musical lines. This better separation perhaps paradoxically on many recordings makes the musical lines more cohesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back