Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #3,136 of 8,761
Would adding a 3rd party cable help with the bass not distorting when listening to say hip hop for example?

Bass distortion, sounds like a problem in your rig, or you blast your hp to the point your hearing will be damaged. High quality cables can bring you closer to the music and it could be wider, but will not effect specific fr. Try eq down your low end.

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #3,137 of 8,761
Would adding a 3rd party cable help with the bass not distorting when listening to say hip hop for example?
It really depends on your setup I think. I have boosted bass options on mine, and have tested bass heavy tracks, even Ariana Grande’s side to side and Prince’s Insatiable. Absolutely no issues with bass farts (assuming that’s what you’re referring to) on the HD800S, despite brain stem vibrating quality bass. So maybe it’s your setup instead?

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #3,138 of 8,761
Haven’t tried changing headphone cable but I noticed usb and rca cables do help a bit. The biggest improvement of course is from dac and amp. Straight out of Hugo 2 for example I don’t hear any bass distortion on HD800S.
try listening to kendrick lamar and you'll see what i am talking about.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #3,139 of 8,761
It really depends on your setup I think. I have boosted bass options on mine, and have tested bass heavy tracks, even Ariana Grande’s side to side and Prince’s Insatiable. Absolutely no issues with bass farts (assuming that’s what you’re referring to) on the HD800S, despite brain stem vibrating quality bass. So maybe it’s your setup instead?
i am running roon into hugo 2 into hdv 820 so i don't think it's my set up. i am also boosting the bass in roon occasionally with the parametric eq. i just find that the 800 s is not suited to hip hop, which among my love of jazz and classical i really enjoy listening to for it's musicality. Travis Scott's work on good headphones is incredible.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,141 of 8,761
i am running roon into hugo 2 into hdv 820 so i don't think it's my set up. i am also boosting the bass in roon occasionally with the parametric eq. i just find that the 800 s is not suited to hip hop, which among my love of jazz and classical i really enjoy listening to for it's musicality. Travis Scott's work on good headphones is incredible.
Hugo 2 into HDV820? You're double amping then? along with a bass boost?

I had a situation previously running a mojo into an ifi itube 2 set as a preamp and the ican SE, and I got tube distortion from over amping. (the sort of tube distortion you'd get from over driving a guitar tube amplifier) Not saying your case is as such, but it might be clipping?

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #3,142 of 8,761
Hugo 2 into HDV820? You're double amping then? along with a bass boost?

I had a situation previously running a mojo into an ifi itube 2 set as a preamp and the ican SE, and I got tube distortion from over amping. (the sort of tube distortion you'd get from over driving a guitar tube amplifier) Not saying your case is as such, but it might be clipping?

It’s not double amping, the chord amp stage is bypassed. Bass boost seems a sin, but certainly that’s why I prefer TT to ch2, I’ll take better bass impact and mid detail darker definition over the wider detail that is offered. I also amp TT but hip hop, electronic - sonic glory in hd800S

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,143 of 8,761
I just picked up these cans, the HD800S, and coming from He-500's, combined with a Chord Mojo I found with some tracks these cans can make drums sound weak, low quality and distorted.

In the song, "This is me" from the soundtrack "The greatest showman ensemble", at 1:30, the kick drum sounds like its struggling and appears to be distorting. The soundstage appears very small. When listening on my he-500's or even Oppo pm1s, this track sounds much more alive, wider and has energy.

Please take a listen on your HD800S -

Is it my Chord Mojo? The mastering of the track? Combination?

I like these cans but it seems I can only play classical to enjoy them, as anything else seems to lack the body of what my other planar magnetic cans offer.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3,144 of 8,761
I just picked up these cans, the HD800S and coming from He-500's, combined with a Chord Mojo, I found some tracks these cans can make drums sound weak, as they sound low quality and distorted.

In the song, "This is me" from the soundtrack "The greatest showman ensemble", at 1:30, the kick drum sounds like its struggling and appears to be distorting. Also the soundstage appears very small. When listening on my he-500's or even Oppo pm1s, this track sounds much more alive, wider and has energy.

Please take a listen on your HD800S -

Is it my Chord Mojo? The mastering of the track? Combination? Anything else?

I like these cans but it seems I can only play classical to enjoy them, as anything else seems to lack the body of what my other planar magnetic cans offer.

Yeah HD800S are not adequately powered by Mojo. Also if you use it as DAC alone to feed an appropriate amp, I feel 800S exposes its soundstage, lack of extension and other weaknesses. I couldn’t enjoy 800S from mojo as DAC, or DAC/amp.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3,145 of 8,761
Yeah HD800S are not adequately powered by Mojo. Also if you use it as DAC alone to feed an appropriate amp, I feel 800S exposes its soundstage, lack of extension and other weaknesses. I couldn’t enjoy 800S from mojo as DAC, or DAC/amp.

I thought so. I connected the mojo to a musical fidelity m1 hpa (amp), hoping to increase the 800S lowend whilst maintaining a good level of detail from the dac in the Mojo and even though there was a decent boost, It introduced a spike in the treble which sounded sharp and not pleasant at all.

From your sig I see you still have your Mojo. Which dac amp are you using to drive HD800S (there’s quite a few in your signature!)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,146 of 8,761
I thought so. I connected the mojo to a musical fidelity hpa (amp), hoping to increase the 800S lowend whilst maintaining a good level of detail from the dac in the Mojo and even though there was a decent boost, It introduced a spike in the treble which sounded sharp and not pleasant at all.

From your sig I see you still have your Mojo. Which dac amp are you using to drive HD800S?

Thanks
Either straight from Hugo 2 or Hugo 2+BHA1 combo. Magical just straight out of Hugo 2 with white filter on and xphd off...very addictive sound for me...I really don’t need to interpose an additional external amp.
800S pretty much exposes some or other weakness of everything else I own making it unlistenable in the chain.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #3,148 of 8,761
Either straight from Hugo 2 or Hugo 2+BHA1 combo. Magical just straight out of Hugo 2 with white filter on and xphd off...very addictive sound for me...I really don’t need to interpose an additional external amp.
800S pretty much exposes some or other weakness of everything else I own making it unlistenable in the chain.
I def felt like i was missing out of the potential of the soundstage with just using the hugo 2. if i can sell the hdv 820 for a price that works for me i would like to upgrade to a rogue rh-5 or a mcintosh mha100. If i can't get the price i want the combo of the hdv 820 and hugo 2 is very wide/spacious.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #3,149 of 8,761
It’s not double amping, the chord amp stage is bypassed. Bass boost seems a sin, but certainly that’s why I prefer TT to ch2, I’ll take better bass impact and mid detail darker definition over the wider detail that is offered. I also amp TT but hip hop, electronic - sonic glory in hd800S
Ooo! You can use the DAC discretely with the Hugo? It’s not a line-level mode?

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #3,150 of 8,761
Check out the black panther soundtrack by kendrick lamar and travis scott. a sonic masterpiece.
Listening to it right now, tidal hifi on lenovo laptop>audioquestquest pearl usb>hugo 2>stock single ended cable>hd800s. I am no hip hop fan but feels like i am listening to them record in the studio. Crystal clear and accurate. Perfect bass, no distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back