Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 31, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,101 of 8,785
  Also the "plastic" part was interesting. For anyone who thinks the plastic components should be replaced, what material could take its place without adding weight or cost? Carbon fiber would make it a lot pricier etc.. I know the material they used has very good sound dampening functionality so thats why they chose the material, also cost effective and light weight. I love the build quality of the HD800S and the comfort.. to me the comfort is pretty much the best of any flagship I think.

I thought the 800S was merely OK in comfort. It appears to be comfortable, but something about the pads always annoyed me. They're stiff, a bit harsh and the diameter makes them hard to center sometimes.

I must be in the minority that thinks the 800S isn't all that well built. Too much plastic, feels heavier than it is and even little details like not having markings on the headband adjustment (I might be OCD but like to quickly see how open it is and if it is balanced) are just basics they missed. It's a design that is starting to feel dated.

Don't want to sound too exaggerated here, it's still a comfortable headphone, but when I take it off and put the Z1R on (been alternative a lot between these two) it feels like jumping on a cloudy pillow of comfort and premium build. The price is higher, but not that much higher, so it doesn't feel like a misaligned comparison.

Very curious to see what Sennheiser will come up with in their upcoming flagship (whatever that one will be), not only in sound but mostly in terms of design of the frame.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,102 of 8,785
I'm good with 800S, no regrets in any way from form to function. No desire to even try Sony, although it looks cool, and happy listening.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,103 of 8,785
Ah I see now where you said that.. and it's true. My old 800 from years ago (now sold) had a small indention in that area and I was always very careful.

Also I think I heard you say YouTube video music :nauseated_face:

Just kidding - kinda. :yum:

But yea all the materials used in the 800(s) is very very good. It's a balance between weight, sound quality, PRICE and comfort.

I'm currently waiting for Spotify Hi-Fi (which has been leaked and technically announced) rather than get Tidal and then Spotify comes out. I do have a few FLACs though.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,104 of 8,785
I'm good with 800S, no regrets in any way from form to function. No desire to even try Sony, although it looks cool, and happy listening.

Well, ultimately, that's what really matters. If you're happy with sound and comfort, you're lucky.
biggrin.gif

I'm wearing my 800 while typing this. Despite my bashing its form, the function is still OK.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,105 of 8,785

I thought the 800S was merely OK in comfort. It appears to be comfortable, but something about the pads always annoyed me. They're stiff, a bit harsh and the diameter makes them hard to center sometimes.

I must be in the minority that thinks the 800S isn't all that well built. Too much plastic, feels heavier than it is and even little details like not having markings on the headband adjustment (I might be OCD but like to quickly see how open it is and if it is balanced) are just basics they missed. It's a design that is starting to feel dated.

Don't want to sound too exaggerated here, it's still a comfortable headphone, but when I take it off and put the Z1R on (been alternative a lot between these two) it feels like jumping on a cloudy pillow of comfort and premium build. The price is higher, but not that much higher, so it doesn't feel like a misaligned comparison.

Very curious to see what Sennheiser will come up with in their upcoming flagship (whatever that one will be), not only in sound but mostly in terms of design of the frame.

I don't think comfort is one of Z1R it's strong points as I found it too fatiguing after long listening sessions. I rather take a plastic headphone like the HD 650 / HD 800 / HD 800 S than a heavier and more uncomfortable non-plastic headphone. 

Also the Z1R looks quite average to me, it didn't look premium to me. (I'm not saying that the HD 800 looks premium too)

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,106 of 8,785

I don't think comfort is one of Z1R it's strong points as I found it too fatiguing after long listening sessions. I rather take a plastic headphone like the HD 650 / HD 800 / HD 800 S than a heavier and more uncomfortable non-plastic headphone. 

Hm curious. Comfort is one of the aspects that it has been more appreciated about it. To me it's a really huge difference between the two. Huge. The headband is also much nicer to handle, I can quickly flex it and lose the clamp for the session (Beta titanium) instead of having to the the usual permanent stretches with plastic headbands. (hugging pillows for several nights, etc).

Also the Z1R looks quite average to me, it didn't look premium to me. (I'm not saying that the HD 800 looks premium too)

I find the design excellent. It's extremely minimalist, there's nothing there that doesn't have a purpose. Even the logo was left out of the cups to avoid changes to the airflow. Simplicity can be beautiful.
The Utopia is very well built too, but there's more than necessary, still, quite nice. I thought the squeaky carbon fiber would be a problem but it seems OK.
Z1R is still a step ahead in overall presentation to me tho, case, etc. Well deserved of the IF Design award 2017, IMHO. Simple can be hard to do right.

The Senn, well, the sound is the priority. I'm sure Sennheiser will pull something really special with the next TOTL. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,107 of 8,785

Hm curious. Comfort is one of the aspects that it has been more appreciated about it. To me it's a really huge difference between the two. Huge. The headband is also much nicer to handle, I can quickly flex it and lose the clamp for the session (Beta titanium) instead of having to the the usual permanent stretches with plastic headbands. (hugging pillows for several nights, etc).

I find the design excellent. It's extremely minimalist, there's nothing there that doesn't have a purpose. Even the logo was left out of the cups to avoid changes to the airflow. Simplicity can be beautiful.
The Utopia is very well built too, but there's more than necessary, still, quite nice. I thought the squeaky carbon fiber would be a problem but it seems OK.
Z1R is still a step ahead in overall presentation to me tho, case, etc. Well deserved of the IF Design award 2017, IMHO. Simple can be hard to do right.

The Senn, well, the sound is the priority. I'm sure Sennheiser will pull something really special with the next TOTL. Hopefully it won't take too long.

I don't really see how the Z1R is ahead of the Focal Utopia. The Utopia is on a whole different level of premium. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,108 of 8,785
My problem with z1r is it just looks like an average headphone. Not a $2000+ flagship. The hd800s screams uniqueness and prestige when I look at it. Just my opinion. Ultimately sound (to me) is what's most important by far and I have never heard the z1r. Though I have the signature wm1z dap and find it other wordly in every way. Quite amazing.

As for Utopia.. I had it in review in my home for a little bit and I think it's absolutely gorgeous and pretty comfortable in it's own right.. although a little too heavy. The downfall was the sound wuality which I ultimately felt was overrated and not up to par to the HD800S, lcd-4, he1000 or especially the sr009. As written in my review. Obviously everyone has their opinion and ive always been under the belief that there is a headphone for everyone.. that fits their personal preferences perfectly (or almost).

I've never found that headphone yet but have come close with some. I have found my perfect dap however :grinning:

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,109 of 8,785
If anybody is interested, there is a store on eBay UK selling HD800S for £1069 with free postage. Free postage to the UK at least, I don't know about the rest of the world. The item description states they ship from the UK but they actually ship from Italy and it takes ages, but they have 100% positive feedback from somewhere around 4000 reviews. The serial number checked out on the Sennheiser website and they are genuine. Just to add, I have absolutely nothing to do with this seller, just wanted to pass the info along and maybe save somebody some money.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,110 of 8,785
My problem with z1r is it just looks like an average headphone. Not a $2000+ flagship. The hd800s screams uniqueness and prestige when I look at it.

Once you hold them in the hands, it feels totally different and quite the opposite. Night and day in terms of build quality.
On photos, hmm perhaps, the 800 looked quite original and different when it appeared, and the Z1R is much more minimalist visually, but it's way ahead in build and overall presentation.

Just my opinion. Ultimately sound (to me) is what's most important by far and I have never heard the z1r. Though I have the signature wm1z dap and find it other wordly in every way. Quite amazing.

That's what really matters, enjoying the sound. I actually have the 800 on while typing this, seems to be happening a lot lately. In any case, we digressed here, doesn't make much sense to compare these two cans given the very different open/closed approach. I tend to compare them sometimes because I like/use them both often and the price ranges aren't all that different.

As for Utopia.. I had it in review in my home for a little bit and I think it's absolutely gorgeous and pretty comfortable in it's own right.. although a little too heavy. The downfall was the sound wuality which I ultimately felt was overrated and not up to par to the HD800S, lcd-4, he1000 or especially the sr009. As written in my review. Obviously everyone has their opinion and ive always been under the belief that there is a headphone for everyone.. that fits their personal preferences perfectly (or almost).

Fully agree. And there's some lucky beauty in actually preferring a model that is cheaper, much cheaper. There's no virtue in paying a lot more unless we get the corresponding extra fun out of it.

If anybody is interested, there is a store on eBay UK selling HD800S for £1069 with free postage. Free postage to the UK at least, I don't know about the rest of the world. The item description states they ship from the UK but they actually ship from Italy and it takes ages, but they have 100% positive feedback from somewhere around 4000 reviews. The serial number checked out on the Sennheiser website and they are genuine. Just to add, I have absolutely nothing to do with this seller, just wanted to pass the info along and maybe save somebody some money.

e-infinity or eglobal maybe? I got stuff from both shops. They sell under market prices and everything feels a bit fishy about it, but never had problems. Although they always present overly optimistic delivery dates. But it's nice to save, even if one has to wait a bit more.

Just stay away from the thieves at Tesento.com

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,111 of 8,785

e-infinity or eglobal maybe? I got stuff from both shops. They sell under market prices and everything feels a bit fishy about it, but never had problems. Although they always present overly optimistic delivery dates. But it's nice to save, even if one has to wait a bit more.

Just stay away from the thieves at Tesento.com

They called themselves thegreatsound, if I remember correctly. "Feels a bit fishy" is pretty accurate, especially when handing faceless strangers over £1k. The original post was aimed at anyone that hasn't seen the offer or is in two minds about committing. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,114 of 8,785
Can anyone tell me what the price of a stock HD800S balanced cable goes for?

I'm looking to buy a used one so what's a fair price to pay for it?

Honestly I don't know if this is the stock or upgrade, https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CH-Silver-Plated-Headphone/dp/B00H8AEZCO

...but if that's the price they're charging you're better off getting one custom made.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #2,115 of 8,785

I guess a bit cheaper than the XLR cable, so around £100-£150 I expect

balanced = xlr = roughly 250/300 euro's yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back