Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 23, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,071 of 8,730

I'd agree with that. Although, the difference is symmetrical, IMO. While I prefer the 800's sparkle, it's not a night and day difference to the S, same like the bass. I can see some people preferring a slightly smoother, warmer sound, so maybe that's why Sennheiser kept both models in the lineup. What I don't get is the pricing difference, considering they're virtually the same headphones with a small tweak.

To me, the bass on HD 800S is definitely more than HD 800 but on a very small margin. 

The extra price difference is the "new flagship" label and the symmetrical cable and of course the black color :wink:
Not really, I think its a technical achievement to reduce the 6khz spike whilst keeping everthing else just as before. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,073 of 8,730
Mar 23, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,074 of 8,730
"Bass is about the same as on the S"

Highly dissagree with that comment, imho. Just heard the hd800 today for the first time and thats actually the first thing I noticed how thin the bass was and how high the trebble is comapared to the 800S. But for me the 800S sounds much better, I definetly wouldn't be selling mine to downgrade to the 800.

And unless you actually sold them for RRP and didn't take a loss then you not only lost money but down graded in process... I want to say, lol?

But different strokes for sifferent folks, of they sound better to you then that's all that matters in the end.

FWIW, I hear the HD800S and HD800 pretty close to you. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #2,075 of 8,730
guys i need a real advise, I have the oppo pm1 which i adore as i can eq it to greatness and never felt it lacks bass when i eq, one thing i wish more is I get a wider sound stage and as much i love bass, I love sound stage as well, the oppo pm1 is not not known to have this huge sound stage i wish for

so i went and heard the old hd800, the sound stage was awsome, and with eq the bass was not there for me like on oppo pm1 when i eq it, so do u think the HD800s will satisfy me both in sound stage and bass when I eq the bass in hd800s, as I could not audition the HD800s

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #2,076 of 8,730
so i went and heard the old hd800, the sound stage was awsome, and with eq the bass was not there for me like on oppo pm1 when i eq it, so do u think the HD800s will satisfy me both in sound stage and bass when I eq the bass in hd800s, as I could not audition the HD800s

Many users here disagree, but my opinion is that if you're not satisfied with the bass of the 800, it is a risk buying the 800 S without listening to it first.
The difference between the two is not night and day in terms of bass.

Something like the XBass+ that iFi has on some of their amps/DACs will give you an extra bass boost. Their analog circuit does a better job than EQ'ing.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #2,077 of 8,730

Many users here disagree, but my opinion is that if you're not satisfied with the bass of the 800, it is a risk buying the 800 S without listening to it first.
The difference between the two is not night and day in terms of bass.

Something like the XBass+ that iFi has on some of their amps/DACs will give you an extra bass boost. Their analog circuit does a better job than EQ'ing.

oh man thanks for letting me, i thought since oppo pm1 is also not that great with bass wihtout eq, that i can eq the hd800s bass to my liking and also benefit from the amazing sound stage as well in hd 800s

dam i wish i could audition the hd800s 

any other alternative suggestions for headphones for a whole package ( mids, bass, sound stage and no sibilence at all ), what drew me to oppo is the amazing mids and the rest was ok but with eq opo pm1 become great except sound stage where i keep wishing for a bit more

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,078 of 8,730

To my ears, the difference in bass was minimal. I prefer the little bit of extra brightness of the 800, mostly because somehow it seems to translate in even better separation and positioning, although the 800S is very good at it too.

Ultimately, they are both good, but to me they are very similar and I don't see how the S can justify the price difference, even with the balanced cable.

It was a matter of value. I kept looking at the S and thinking there was money there than I felt it was justified, so I sold them and thought I'd snatch a used 800 in good condition. Found one, traded it for one of my other cans. Overall, considering the used value of an 800, I ended up having what - to me - is a similar sound and still recovered some $.

Gotta admit it was a weird route. 800S new>800 used. But it was the sweet spot in value.

Also, I later noticed I prefer the 800 visually. That metallic look, a bit refreshing from the usual plastic black. However, in practice the S is better at that because the structure won't start showing marks of the paint chipping, as it does on 800 if they're not handled carefully.

I'd agree with that. Although, the difference is symmetrical, IMO. While I prefer the 800's sparkle, it's not a night and day difference to the S, same like the bass. I can see some people preferring a slightly smoother, warmer sound, so maybe that's why Sennheiser kept both models in the lineup. What I don't get is the pricing difference, considering they're virtually the same headphones with a small tweak.

What do you mean? Add the balanced cable from Sennheiser to the HD 800 and see how "big" the price difference is. Basically the HD 800 S costs less if you look around hard enough when you correct for the included balanced cable.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #2,079 of 8,730

What do you mean? Add the balanced cable from Sennheiser to the HD 800 and see how "big" the price difference is. Basically the HD 800 S costs less if you look around hard enough when you correct for the included balanced cable.

I meant the headphones in particular. Frame, padding, materials, drivers, cable, plug. Minimal difference. Same in extras, excluding the cable.

It is true that the balanced cable is good value for people who want to use it and didn't have other cables. But I would have preferred a lower price and having the balanced cable sold separately. In fact, I tried to sell my 800S cable brand new and there was very little interest, so it ended up going along with the 800S.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #2,080 of 8,730

I meant the headphones in particular. Frame, padding, materials, drivers, cable, plug. Minimal difference. Same in extras, excluding the cable.

It is true that the balanced cable is good value for people who want to use it and didn't have other cables. But I would have preferred a lower price and having the balanced cable sold separately. In fact, I tried to sell my 800S cable brand new and there was very little interest, so it ended up going along with the 800S.

The difference is the included balanced cable and that is where the price difference is coming from. It seems the HDVD 800 is sold alot (if I have to believe the word from a shop owner) so the balanced cable is useful to many people.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #2,081 of 8,730
Got mine (hd800S) on sale as a pre sale on launch, worth every penny. I added prion 4 balanced cable so the stock is in a bag somewhere. I think there has been some thought into this upgrade, one persons tweak is another persons upgrade. Course the S got me into senn, the previous issues kind of made me worried.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,082 of 8,730
Guys, I really need some advice as this is doing my head in. When I listen to a frequency sweep, it seems that I have a very strong "dip" at 6.5-7 kHz in the left earpiece, and a very similar, but smaller dip in the right ear piece. I was first questioning my source (AQVox USB2D/A), but my recent acquisition - Sony TA-ZH1ES fed by an Oppo UDP-203 via coaxial does the EXACT same thing.
I do not see this dip from the frequency measurement supplied with my HD800S.

Would anyone be so kind to perform a little test for me, by telling me if anything funny or weird happens at the 6-8 KHz range? You can use this for testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

I don't think it is my hearing - my HD650 seems to have no problems by comparison, but not as clean at higher frequencies than the HD800S otherwise are.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #2,083 of 8,730
Hey guys.. after hearing the 800S at many shows.. I gotta say it's the best sounding dynamic driver I've heard. I think I gotta go ahead and pull the trigger on these. My question is.. do any of you guys know where to find a better deal than the generic Amazon etc? I'd love a great deal on these. PM me if you have to. Thanks!

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,084 of 8,730
Hey guys.. after hearing the 800S at many shows.. I gotta say it's the best sounding dynamic driver I've heard. I think I gotta go ahead and pull the trigger on these. My question is.. do any of you guys know where to find a better deal than the generic Amazon etc? I'd love a great deal on these. PM me if you have to. Thanks!

Not happy with the LCD-4? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back